Motor lock, to block your bike electrically

ramonplutarque

Hi, I was wondering if there was such a device that enables you to lock your motor (electrically). Either bluetooth enabled or with a key or whatever.
I had a Mi scooter M365 and there was a really cool feature on it where you could lock the scooter with your phone. What it did was create alot of resistance on the motor so the scooter was unusable.
I did a little research and found absolutely nothing like this applied to ebikes. Which I find very strange because it's an extremely simple solution for rendering your bike un-stealable (provided it's not picked up with a truck). To me it would be particularly useful when running errands and not having to take out the u-lock, bending over, attaching the bike, EVERY time you stop.

With Bosch e-bikes (and probably others too), removing the display achieves a similar effect as there would be no way to turn the bike on and you'd have to ride or walk it away without any assist. But while that's certainly inconvenient, it's not impossible by any means and, in my opinion, your bike would be very vulnerable if that's all you did to secure it.

My dad did something like this for my car. Underneath the dash he install the switch that only I knew I was there. When I parked, I would flick the switch. The switch would disconnect the starters electrical cord. My dad idea was that if someone tried to steal a car they wouldn’t be able to figure out why it wouldn’t start even if they had hotwired it.I wonder if, after market, somebody could do something like this to anybody.

With Bosch e-bikes (and probably others too), removing the display achieves a similar effect as there would be no way to turn the bike on and you'd have to ride or walk it away without any assist. But while that's certainly inconvenient, it's not impossible by any means and, in my opinion, your bike would be very vulnerable if that's all you did to secure it.
"without any assist" does that mean the motor is locked or just freewheeling?

What I haven't seen in alot of electric ebikes is regen, partly because that probably goes against the purpose of coasting. But what I would like to see is a function that enables a super hard regen for the motor so that the bike becomes virtually unridable, hence the motor lock (and maybe a regen button to use as an alternative to braking). And since we're talking about electric motors I know that's not something very hard to achieve (you just have to reverse the current in the motor right?).
That's why I was wondering if there was an easy way to implement this, either through the controller (programming?) or an add-on you plugin between the controller and motor?

What I haven't seen in alot of electric ebikes is regen, partly because that probably goes against the purpose of coasting. But what I would like to see is a function that enables a super hard regen for the motor so that the bike becomes virtually unridable, hence the motor lock (and maybe a regen button to use as an alternative to braking). And since we're talking about electric motors I know that's not something very hard to achieve (you just have to reverse the current in the motor right?).
That's why I was wondering if there was an easy way to implement this, either through the controller (programming?) or an add-on you plugin between the controller and motor?
Regen only works with direct drive motors and they've become a minority drive on ebikes.

Frame locks or cafe locks are very popular in Europe for that quick dash into the store. They don't require a lot of expensive electronics to work. Many European bikes and ebikes come standard with them.

Regen only works with direct drive motors and they've become a minority drive on ebikes.

Frame locks or cafe locks are very popular in Europe for that quick dash into the store. They don't require a lot of expensive electronics to work. Many European bikes and ebikes come standard with them.
"Regen only works with direct drive" So that's why... Thanks for the info.
Would you know by any chance of a frame lock for fat tire bikes? 4inch thick tires?
Thanks a bunch

"Regen only works with direct drive" So that's why... Thanks for the info.
Would you know by any chance of a frame lock for fat tire bikes? 4inch thick tires?
Thanks a bunch
That's a very good question about the fat tire! I saw that question once before here, can't remember the thread, but I don't think there is a frame lock for fat tire... yet! Fat tire bikes are exploding on the market and it's only a matter of time.

That's a very good question about the fat tire! I saw that question once before here, can't remember the thread, but I don't think there is a frame lock for fat tire... yet! Fat tire bikes are exploding on the market and it's only a matter of time.
They seem to offer a much more fun and comfortable ride. And the electric motor lifts the burden of the size and weight of the bigger wheels. Can't wait to receive mine

If you were to short circuit two or all of the three phase wires on any direct drive motor, it will be very hard to turn. This could be done with a switch. Many ways to do it, but choose a method where the controller can't be short circuited with power applied, or you will blow it up.

It doesn't prevent against the bad guy with a van or truck, driving around looking for $7000 Stromers.

He has an e scooter like a push scooter. All he needs is a $35 Kriptonite bike lock. Doesn't do much good to disable the electrics on a small scooter that can be carried away or thrown into a car. I know, a u lock is inconvenient, but so is coming back to where your scooter USED to be.

The same applies to an eBike. It needs to be physically locked through the frame to something that ain't going anywhere. If you disable the electrics someone can still pedal off on it, and if you lock a wheel they will undo that and take the rest of the bike. Good locks discourage the casual thief, but if someone wants it they will steal it no matter what. The best thing anyone can do is lock their bikes up in high foot traffic areas in good neighborhoods. Be careful what you lock it to. A parking meter can be unscrewed from it's pole, and things like a parking sign on a metal pole have one 1/4-20 bolt holding them to the ground. Unscrew the bolt, lift the sign up, take the bike.

When I lived in San Francisco a lot of people would take a can of flat black spray paint and spray the entire bike including the tires and rims. Didn't do anything. The thieves still saw the expensive Cannondale under the paint.

Last edited:
Since most bikes are stolen by drug addicts why not just put a can next to your bike filled will all kinds of drugs with a sign that says "Free if you leave my bike alone."

The few professional thieves that target bikes are nearly impossible to stop. Need to dump about 40A into their bolt cutters.

Since most bikes are stolen by drug addicts why not just put a can next to your bike filled will all kinds of drugs with a sign that says "Free if you leave my bike alone."

The few professional thieves that target bikes are nearly impossible to stop. Need to dump about 40A into their bolt cutters.

Could that be done -to have the battery supply a high voltage through the whole frame in case movement is detected ??
And coupled with a “WARNING-HIGH VOLTAGE IF TEMPERED WITH” that should deter few mo” of this bad guys.
Also another idea of mine is to have a drone high up , a mini drone , All is needed is the camera , and it would watch over cellular capable , we could see out “girlfriends” from The office at anytime.

On the topic of frame locks. Linka has a couple of smart frame locks with ability to unlock automatically as you approach the bike with your phone. Built in GPS tracking with alarm and tamper alerts. https://www.linkalock.com/
This LiNKA lock looks really good and above what other companies are offering.
Is it a new company, how would you rate it ? I dislike taking key out, locking and unlocking..

Could that be done -to have the battery supply a high voltage through the whole frame in case movement is detected ??
And coupled with a “WARNING-HIGH VOLTAGE IF TEMPERED WITH” that should deter few mo” of this bad guys.
Also another idea of mine is to have a drone high up , a mini drone , All is needed is the camera , and it would watch over cellular capable , we could see out “girlfriends” from The office at anytime.

I think someone did develop a lock that has a very strong order substance that ejects if cut. I think it releases the gas prior to being cut thru so and it's so nasty that few people can continue to finish the theft. That's a pretty good idea as I think they do something similar on fire alarms to mark people that set them off intentionally even when there is no fire.

I do think some kind of camera you could stick to a wall or post such that you could watch the bike or it takes motion sensitive pictures or videos of anyone trying to or taking it. It's frustrating that bikes are so commonly stolen and in many cases they are being taken from people that rely on them for transportation and the people taking them are just wanting to get drug money. Very sad indeed.

I think someone did develop a lock that has a very strong order substance that ejects if cut. I think it releases the gas prior to being cut thru so and it's so nasty that few people can continue to finish the theft. That's a pretty good idea as I think they do something similar on fire alarms to mark people that set them off intentionally even when there is no fire.

I do think some kind of camera you could stick to a wall or post such that you could watch the bike or it takes motion sensitive pictures or videos of anyone trying to or taking it. It's frustrating that bikes are so commonly stolen and in many cases they are being taken from people that rely on them for transportation and the people taking them are just wanting to get drug money. Very sad indeed.

https://www.skunklock.com/

I think motor locks would be repetitive and add unnecessary expense and complication to the bike.

I have war gamed the theft problem in my head and so far have come up with this:

1) Never leave the bike unattended. Just about all my rides are for pleasure and I just go out and come home...and chain the thing down in my garage.

2) If I plan to shop or eat or have some coffee etc, I have 3 levels:
Defcon 1, Use the cafe lock on the bike to immobilize the bike and take the controller. I keep the bike in sight as much as possible.
Defcon 2, I bring my u-lock and lock the bike to a bike stand, activate cafe lock and take the controller.
Defcon 3, I bring my u-lock and cable. I use the u-lock on the bike stand. I run the cable thru front wheel, around the bike stand if possible and clip to the cafe lock and take controller.

As time goes on, I think Defcon 1 will be my most used option. They can't ride or push the bike away. They could steal my front wheel which would be a real bummer if I was far from home. My worst nightmare would be the pretty unlikely scenario where the thief happens be cruising by and grabs my bike and tosses it in the back of his pickup and takes off.

Back