Motor keeps moving (like a walk mode)

tyy10002

Region
USA
My son was riding the radmission (only 50+ miles on it) in the past weekend with me. When he stopped in a redlight, his bike still kept up moving (like a walk mode). I tried it myself, and It happened to me once. It didn't happen all the time. I thought the walk mode of radmission only on when you press the walk button. My son needed to turn it off and turn it back on to resolve it., then it didn't happen. Does anyone encounter this issue?

I have contacted Rad Power support and hope they can help me.

Could be a sticking freewheel. If you move the bike the sticky freewheel moves the pedals and the assist kicks in. You might be able to get some oil in the freewheel without disassembly. That's what I did on my first Sondors eBike.

That's a good one! Just thinking-

If the bike is sitting still and the motor is trying to move it (for whatever reason), pretty sure a tap of the brakes should shut it down until it gets a signal from somewhere to tell it to go again. There's only 3 places I know of where this signal might come from. The throttle, the PAS sensor, or the "walk" mode button.

I like the sticking freewheel idea, but the bike would need to be moving forward (even just slightly) to get an engagement signal (from the PAS sensor). In the case where it just moves slightly to engage, it should only move a foot or 2 I would think, no?

More detail necessary to get much further I think.

That's a good one! Just thinking-

If the bike is sitting still and the motor is trying to move it (for whatever reason), pretty sure a tap of the brakes should shut it down until it gets a signal from somewhere to tell it to go again. There's only 3 places I know of where this signal might come from. The throttle, the PAS sensor, or the "walk" mode button.

I like the sticking freewheel idea, but the bike would need to be moving forward (even just slightly) to get an engagement signal (from the PAS sensor). In the case where it just moves slightly to engage, it should only move a foot or 2 I would think, no?

More detail necessary to get much further I think.
when he stopped at the red light with me. he recalled that he did roll the bike forward a little by his foot and NOT by the pedals and he applied bike and the motor stopped. once he releases the brake, it kept moving again. I have tried to reproduce the issue again since and no luck. But in past weekend, it happened few times..it is my concern what could have caused it even though it is very slow speed.

I checked the freewheel and it moved very smoothly and the PAS sensor ( the plastic ) in the pedals was very tight compare to my other bikes and not sure it is normal or not. see attached pics.

I still have not heard back from radpower.

Attachments

• 20210616_103855.jpg
    20210616_103855.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 20210616_103819.jpg
    20210616_103819.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 262
No chance a shirt sleeve or something might have been snagged on the throttle? It seems to working smoothly? Not hanging up while returning to zero?

Now thinking/best guess-

Because the bike wanted to go forward again as soon as the brake was released, my bet is something is going on with the throttle (or maybe associated wiring). If it were the "walk" function, thinking there would have been a delay prior to starting? And the PAS would require some movement before it can turn the motor on.....

Last edited:
No chance a shirt sleeve or something might have been snagged on the throttle? It seems to working smoothly? Not hanging up while returning to zero?

Now thinking/best guess-

Because the bike wanted to go forward again as soon as the brake was released, my bet is something is going on with the throttle (or maybe associated wiring). If it were the "walk" function, thinking there would have been a delay prior to starting? And the PAS would require some movement before it can turn the motor on.....
thanks, I didn't check the throttle and he did use throttle a lot. :)

Roll the bike back an forth, listening and looking with the power off. A sticky freewheel will move the pedals while rolling forward and this hits the PAS when on. Does the freewheel sound smooth? Or does it have a lot of clacking? I will bet it is the freewheel. It just screws off and costs $20 for the part.

Roll the bike back an forth, listening and looking with the power off. A sticky freewheel will move the pedals while rolling forward and this hits the PAS when on. Does the freewheel sound smooth? Or does it have a lot of clacking? I will bet it is the freewheel. It just screws off and costs $20 for the part.
thanks, I just rolled the bike back and forth. when I rolled back, the pedal was rotated as well. and when I rolled it forward and the pedal stayed. I tried several mins with power on and power off.

when I rolled it backward and I could listen some motor rolling sound... when I rolled forward, very quiet.

I also checked the throttle and it looked fine to me.

Interesting, no reply from radpower yet.

thanks, I just rolled the bike back and forth. when I rolled back, the pedal was rotated as well. and when I rolled it forward and the pedal stayed. I tried several mins with power on and power off.

when I rolled it backward and I could listen some motor rolling sound... when I rolled forward, very quiet.

I also checked the throttle and it looked fine to me.

Interesting, no reply from radpower yet.
thanks for everyone help. My son and I went to bike today and fortunately, no issue today. not sure what caused the problem and I feel like I chasing a ghost...

still no response from radpower support? I would expect some troubleshooting suggestions. Anyway, I will ask my son to pay attention if it happens again..

Have a great weekend everyone.

With the power OFF, push and release the walk mode about 20 times real hard and fast to essentially clean it. New switches often have a film inside.
The PAS is programmed to ignore short pedaling and very slow pedaling.
If it’s walk mode an indicator should be seen. The city has one.

With the power OFF, push and release the walk mode about 20 times real hard and fast to essentially clean it. New switches often have a film inside.
The PAS is programmed to ignore short pedaling and very slow pedaling.
If it’s walk mode an indicator should be seen. The city has one.
radpower finally got back and it is caused by moisture building up in either the throttle or the wiring harness on the bike. They are sending me the replacements for both of these parts.

Hope it is it...

Good to hear they still have some parts.
If you end up replacing the cable inside the frame, pull a string in as it’s coming out. When connecting the connector that ends up stored inside the frame put some tape on it to ensure it does not come loose especially when having to pull it out later.

I found that harness pretty easy to replace, once I removed the grommets at each end. That's the trick to that job....

Back