Motor Error

Ik had vanaf de eerste 100km reeds motorproblemen met mijn Specialized Vado. Fiets is een paar keer terug geweest bij de verkoper en aan de computer gelegd . Daarna nieuwe motor gekregen maar ik heb weer dezelfde problemen. Ik wacht nu op de nieuwe software van de fabriek voor de fiets terug aan de computer te leggen. Zeer leuke fiets om mee te rijden, spijtig van de motorproblemen. Ik ben wel bijna al omvergereden van een auto bij het stilvallen op een rondpunt! Gevaarlijk.
Hopefully your issues are attributed to bike being new. Some of us have had similar issues but eventually it stabilizes and happy times begin.

Ik had vanaf de eerste 100km reeds motorproblemen met mijn Specialized Vado. Fiets is een paar keer terug geweest bij de verkoper en aan de computer gelegd . Daarna nieuwe motor gekregen maar ik heb weer dezelfde problemen. Ik wacht nu op de nieuwe software van de fabriek voor de fiets terug aan de computer te leggen. Zeer leuke fiets om mee te rijden, spijtig van de motorproblemen. Ik ben wel bijna al omvergereden van een auto bij het stilvallen op een rondpunt! Gevaarlijk.

Das ist sehr bedauerlich, dass Sie den Motor zweimal austauschen mussten. Einmal ist genug, aber zweimal ist nicht akzeptabel. Soweit ich weiß, verwendet Specialized einen Mew Company Motor Mahle oder Brose. Ich empfehle, wenn es wieder passiert, verlangen Sie, dass Sie ein Repalcement-Fahrrad in dem Geschäft kaufen, in dem Sie es gekauft haben.

I’ve mentioned before but I experienced motor errors on my new Creo. Specialized sent the dealer a new motor to replace mine but the problem continued. They then determined it was a problem in the wiring harness and the solution was to give me a new bike. Not one problem since...

There is a Forum user who used to be very critical about his Allant+ 9.9S. He stopped complaining after he bought a Vado 5.0 :)
In 2018 I purchased a Trek Super Commuter +7. I like it a lot and put about 3k miles on it. I ride a lot on the American River Bike Trail and was always conscious about the Bosch Performance Line motor’s whine noise while passing joggers and walkers on the trail, so I would usually coast by them. I don’t own one, but I hear the new Gen 4 Bosch Performance Line CX motor is still loud, much louder than the comparably powered Brose, especially under load. This summer, my wife and I got 2020 Turbo Vados, her’s is a 5.0, mine is a 4.0 (both are N+1). We have had ZERO problems. Once or twice in 6 months of riding the Turbo Vados (1.5k miles) I noticed the assist hadn’t engaged at startup, I didn’t stop riding, I just just rebooted on the fly and the assist kicked right in and worked fine. I had similar issues with the Bosch motor assist not engaging, only it took longer and I had to stop and fiddle with it more to get the assist working again. I don’t think this is a SOP issue on either motor. I like my SC7, but one thing the Bosch motors can’t do, is shut up, they have a constant annoying whine, especially when under load. The Turbo Vado’s Brose motors are super QUIET, nearly SILENT, even under load, and after 3k miles of listening to that annoying Bosch whine, the Brose SILENCE is sooooo nice. It is a huge, night and day, difference. Now after being spoiled by the Brose silence, the Bosch whine is even more annoying. I guess if most of your riding is off-road, not on pavement, the whining noise wouldn’t be so bad, but these are commuter ebikes designed to be ridden mostly on pavement. Since this is a Specialized forum, and since I own both Bosch and Brose, I thought I would quietly (pun intended) chime in!

Last edited:
Much thanks to @Sierratim. I had the 'motor error' message and sometimes the motor would cut in and out. Nothing worked to resolve until I used the contact cleaner with a little cleanup with q-tips. Thanks for sharing.

His and hers 2019 Specialized Como 4.0, approx 2.4k miles, purchased 4/2020

Sorry for not posting this with a correct category.
My 2020 Vado 5 Mission Controls indicates there are updates available for firmware.
My LBS just confirmed that according to his system my bike is up to date for firmware.
Had anyone experienced this issue with MC?

Sorry for not posting this with a correct category.
My 2020 Vado 5 Mission Controls indicates there are updates available for firmware.
My LBS just confirmed that according to his system my bike is up to date for firmware.
Had anyone experienced this issue with MC?
YES!

In my case, using Mission Control it showed blank fields for both current and new versions for all four items, Motor, battery, Range Extender battery and whatever the fourth item is!

But the shop ran the procedure again and it fixed those mis-info items. I have a Creo, by the way. Others have reported similar issues.

Much thanks to @Sierratim. I had the 'motor error' message and sometimes the motor would cut in and out. Nothing worked to resolve until I used the contact cleaner with a little cleanup with q-tips. Thanks for sharing.

His and hers 2019 Specialized Como 4.0, approx 2.4k miles, purchased 4/2020
Just by coincidence, I had to use the spray again last week - a year after the first time - worked well again.

We hadn't had to clean our battery contacts for quite a while, maybe a year. Recently we've been transporting the bikes to more remote trail heads with the batteries removed. We both had issues last week with motor errors and a lack of motor power. Resetting the bike fixed the issues. I cleaned both sets of terminals. No problems since.

Is this what you mean? Did it on both my Vados. Although since the recent software update it’s now a different message which I can’t remember. Turning the bike off and on again seems to clear it 99% of the time.
982D0C27-DF13-4260-AE2B-3080590D085F.jpeg

Is this what you mean? Did it on both my Vados. Although since the recent software update it’s now a different message which I can’t remember. Turning the bike off and on again seems to clear it 99% of the time. View attachment 94400
Yes, we do get this error message some times when motor power isn't available. Other times we just get no power. Restiing the bike (rebooting?) has always gotten us back on the road. The local mechanic was telling me that he's had a few bikes that needed new speed (torque?) sensors to resolve this. Cleaning the battery terminals has been an effective fix for us.

Motor errors, broken frames, bad torque sensors, but Spesh owners get used to it!😂

Totally disagree that we have all experienced anything similar. I just turned over 800 miles on mine since May and would be extremely POed if that happened on my Trek Allant+7. If I had to screw around turning it off and on as SOP, I’d turn it back to Specialized and be hunting for a new bike. These bikes are too damn expensive to put up with those shenanigans.
Exactly! I expect darn near perfection for the price we pay. I won't accept anything less. If anyone gives me flack, I'll be quick to file a dispute with my bank.

Back