Motor Error

"Motor Error" appears on my Turbo Display Unit on my one month old 2022 Turbo Vado 4.0. "Rebooting" by turning the power on and off seems to bring the motor back to life. Has happened twice on two different rides, luckily not in the middle of traffic, but once while climbing a steep hill. Had to jump off the bike to avoid tipping over. I have logged these shut downs in my Specialized Mission Control App, and maybe Specialized will reply. The inadvertent motor shut downs appears to be a relatively long standing problem with the Como/Vado motors with writers indicating this electronic gremlin might just go away by itself or simply cleaning the contacts will minimize the Motor Error glitches. Think I will try the latter first, so thanks Sierratim. Who knows, maybe during bike assembly, the battery contacts are exposed to workshop warehouse dust and dirt? Hopefully I will not have to have the motor replaced or Specialized replace the bike if this turns out to be a chronic problem. By contrast, my 2020 Turbo Vado 3.0 operates flawlessly. Well, at least as Stefan Mikes has assured us, Specialized will stand behind their products, and so far as far as I can tell by most of the forum members, Specialized for the most part has come through for those with lemons.

A I mentioned in the past, I got the "Motor Error" message on my Vado two or three times in total. I cleaned the contacts, and the error never returned.

I’ve had this once a month ago on a bumpy down hill single track where you need to pedal every now & again to keep speed.

Pulled over, restarted app and fault cleared .

Thought I may lose my ride log but it continued all ok and loaded to Strava ok.

When I got back I checked app for errors and all gone and it’s been fine since.

Bike has done 723kms so far.

If fault returns I will screen shot it and take bike to be plugged in at my Spez dealer.

"Motor Error" appears on my Turbo Display Unit on my one month old 2022 Turbo Vado 4.0. "Rebooting" by turning the power on and off seems to bring the motor back to life. Has happened twice on two different rides, luckily not in the middle of traffic, but once while climbing a steep hill. Had to jump off the bike to avoid tipping over. I have logged these shut downs in my Specialized Mission Control App, and maybe Specialized will reply. The inadvertent motor shut downs appears to be a relatively long standing problem with the Como/Vado motors with writers indicating this electronic gremlin might just go away by itself or simply cleaning the contacts will minimize the Motor Error glitches. Think I will try the latter first, so thanks Sierratim. Who knows, maybe during bike assembly, the battery contacts are exposed to workshop warehouse dust and dirt? Hopefully I will not have to have the motor replaced or Specialized replace the bike if this turns out to be a chronic problem. By contrast, my 2020 Turbo Vado 3.0 operates flawlessly. Well, at least as Stefan Mikes has assured us, Specialized will stand behind their products, and so far as far as I can tell by most of the forum members, Specialized for the most part has come through for those with lemons.
About 6 months ago I had my Vado replaced under warranty with a 2021 model. No motor errors seen till 3 weeks ago when, just like you, it failed on a short steep section.

Restarted without a problem, but the gremlin, if there is one, is still around. If it happens again, I will reach for the spray :).

I have to take my bike back soon for a general check and to have the firmware updated - I'll mention this to the LBS.

Hi,

My 2022 Vado 5.0 has had a motor error twice which needed a reboot - both times in ‘Turbo’ mode. Power seemed to drop off just before the error and felt like it was dragging, before all power went.

Submitted a diagnostic and will be booking into UK dealer in the next few weeks for a few things to be checked. The message in Mission Control was pretty much the same as the one mentioned on a separate recent Vado 5.0 IGH thread on this forum:

The motor detected a self-driver event.

Check the transmission for any blockage and restart the bike. NOTE: Errors trigged on motor firmware 7.1.1 & 7.3.6 are wrongfully triggered. The 7.4.1 and 7.4.2 motor firmware provide improvements and we are currently working on an update release to solve such events.

Hi,

My 2022 Vado 5.0 has had a motor error twice which needed a reboot - both times in ‘Turbo’ mode. Power seemed to drop off just before the error and felt like it was dragging, before all power went.

Submitted a diagnostic and will be booking into UK dealer in the next few weeks for a few things to be checked. The message in Mission Control was pretty much the same as the one mentioned on a separate recent Vado 5.0 IGH thread on this forum:

The motor detected a self-driver event.

Check the transmission for any blockage and restart the bike. NOTE: Errors trigged on motor firmware 7.1.1 & 7.3.6 are wrongfully triggered. The 7.4.1 and 7.4.2 motor firmware provide improvements and we are currently working on an update release to solve such events.
Please inform the end findings.....

A I mentioned in the past, I got the "Motor Error" message on my Vado two or three times in total. I cleaned the contacts, and the error never returned.
Update on my new April 2022 Turbo Vado 4.0 Motor Error. Per advice from forum members, I cleaned the contacts with 90% alcohol and cotton swabs. I then lightly coated the battery contacts with Deoxit D5. Interestingly, when I first removed the battery to clean and treat, it dropped out without swinging downward in an arc towards the front wheel. Luckily I was able to grab it before it hit the concrete surface of my garage. This indicated to me that during the original bike assembly process, the battery was not placed securely into the top hinge. It is possible the battery contacts were not fully seated into the compartment and thus the Motor Error messages. I made sure the battery was “hinged” and clicked in properly. At any rate, subsequently have ridden the bike twice for a total of 60 miles, both paved and rough gravel/fire road and so far no dreaded “Motor Error”. I am hoping that is the end of my Motor Error gremlins. Btw when I e-mailed “Rider Care” about my Motor Error problem, Specialized sent me a response email informing me that there were plenty of jobs available at Specialized and that I should feel free to apply. Whaaaaa? Very odd. But, so far so good. The bike is amazing, the torque sensor and new geometry seems to make the Vado even more lively and nimble, especially around tighter corners. Climbing steep grades is even more fun. I still have my 2020 Turbo Vado 3.0 and I just might keep it for friends or relatives who want to ride with me.

Update on my new April 2022 Turbo Vado 4.0 Motor Error. Per advice from forum members, I cleaned the contacts with 90% alcohol and cotton swabs. I then lightly coated the battery contacts with Deoxit D5. Interestingly, when I first removed the battery to clean and treat, it dropped out without swinging downward in an arc towards the front wheel. Luckily I was able to grab it before it hit the concrete surface of my garage. This indicated to me that during the original bike assembly process, the battery was not placed securely into the top hinge. It is possible the battery contacts were not fully seated into the compartment and thus the Motor Error messages. I made sure the battery was “hinged” and clicked in properly. At any rate, subsequently have ridden the bike twice for a total of 60 miles, both paved and rough gravel/fire road and so far no dreaded “Motor Error”. I am hoping that is the end of my Motor Error gremlins. Btw when I e-mailed “Rider Care” about my Motor Error problem, Specialized sent me a response email informing me that there were plenty of jobs available at Specialized and that I should feel free to apply. Whaaaaa? Very odd. But, so far so good. The bike is amazing, the torque sensor and new geometry seems to make the Vado even more lively and nimble, especially around tighter corners. Climbing steep grades is even more fun. I still have my 2020 Turbo Vado 3.0 and I just might keep it for friends or relatives who want to ride with me.
Well, I hope some of those jobs are in Rider Care - seems like they could use the help! ;)

Glad you seem to be up and running.

Back