Mission Control and Garmin RTL515

I did find after posting (reading the manual!) that pressing the POWER button for ten or so seconds does reboot without losing any data.

Yes, I got the light blinking (somewhat drives a friend crazy but she's halfway there already!) but with no Edge, no radar. And now that I think about it, that may be part of what might have triggered this issue. I recalled "Peleton" mode and had briefly gone looking for it before that ride to reduce the blinking on following riders. But it looked like it needed pairing in Garmin connect or something and I did not want to jeopardize my Mission Control pairing so backed out. Maybe that upset things.
Never used Peleton mode myself......not many of my fellow riders have the RTL515. It does sync all the lights around and needs to speak with them, so would explain the the flashing light in pair mode.

Never used Peleton mode myself......not many of my fellow riders have the RTL515. It does sync all the lights around and needs to speak with them, so would explain the the flashing light in pair mode.
Peloton mode is just reduced light intensity, no communication with surrounding devices.

From Garmin:

1684764385937.png

I was just going to start a search but thought I'd be lazy and ask. Obviously, you have an iphone but I was wondering if there are apps, ANDROID in my case, that overlay Varia on maps or apps or what-have-you. I have it paired to my Garmin Edge 1030+ but I'd be curious about other options (and now the search begins)
I meant to post an update with my initial radar experience which addresses this question from @kahn ... I followed Ben J's advice (thanks @Ben J :)) and installed RideWithGPS on my Android phone. It's quite good in its own right. Map, position and some ride stats all displayed, or just the ride stats (with limitations - see below). Integration with the Garmin was a doddle as there's a menu option for it. The radar data is then displayed overlaid on the left (or right - another option) side of the screen. It all works very well and I was convinced after just a few miles. Multiple approaching cars - even on the narrow roads we have here - were indicated correctly. The audible beep is useful and the 'all clear' sound is very welcome. I've only done about 20 miles, but there were no missed cars (and no false positives, which are less of an issue) and I quickly learned to stop looking over my shoulder and started to trust the technology.

The app has some limitations - no cadence data, no battery etc - some of which might be fixable with a subscription, a more intelligent user or more technology - but I just reprogrammed the top tube display on the SL to show the relevant data and, as they say, "Job's a good 'un". I'm unlikely to subscribe, purchase more ANT+ sensors or get smart(er).

RWGPS even syncs with Strava at the end of a ride. However, the features I use/need are only a subset (I don't care about segments, split times, king of the mountains or leaderboards ... I rarely feature on any of them) and so I'll probably simply switch from Strava to RWGPS. Route planning in RWGPS seems competent but I've yet to try the turn by turn ride assist.

Two final comments. I used a QuadLock handlebar mount for the phone which is a bit expensive, but feels very secure and puts the phone where I want it (over the stem, but connected to the bars). I also replaced the Garmin seatpost attachment (rubber bands, no thanks!) with one of these.

I meant to post an update with my initial radar experience which addresses this question from @kahn ... I followed Ben J's advice (thanks @Ben J :)) and installed RideWithGPS on my Android phone. It's quite good in its own right. Map, position and some ride stats all displayed, or just the ride stats (with limitations - see below). Integration with the Garmin was a doddle as there's a menu option for it. The radar data is then displayed overlaid on the left (or right - another option) side of the screen. It all works very well and I was convinced after just a few miles. Multiple approaching cars - even on the narrow roads we have here - were indicated correctly. The audible beep is useful and the 'all clear' sound is very welcome. I've only done about 20 miles, but there were no missed cars (and no false positives, which are less of an issue) and I quickly learned to stop looking over my shoulder and started to trust the technology.

The app has some limitations - no cadence data, no battery etc - some of which might be fixable with a subscription, a more intelligent user or more technology - but I just reprogrammed the top tube display on the SL to show the relevant data and, as they say, "Job's a good 'un". I'm unlikely to subscribe, purchase more ANT+ sensors or get smart(er).

RWGPS even syncs with Strava at the end of a ride. However, the features I use/need are only a subset (I don't care about segments, split times, king of the mountains or leaderboards ... I rarely feature on any of them) and so I'll probably simply switch from Strava to RWGPS. Route planning in RWGPS seems competent but I've yet to try the turn by turn ride assist.

Two final comments. I used a QuadLock handlebar mount for the phone which is a bit expensive, but feels very secure and puts the phone where I want it (over the stem, but connected to the bars). I also replaced the Garmin seatpost attachment (rubber bands, no thanks!) with one of these.
I'm not able to assist the OP but I just want to give my vote for the utility of the Varia radar light. I never ride without it and find it extremely useful - I feel certain having the radar has increased the safety of my rides. There are many times when you simply can't hear approaching vehicles - electric cars, very windy, car following another etc. I use it with my Garmin 1030+ (along with the garmin headlight) and I like how it turns itself on at the start of the ride automatically (and off at the end), you can control the type of light (strong, flashing, peloton etc) from the garmin head unit. I have a separate mount on my MTB and simply put it on that bike when going out MTB'ing. It's not a cheap rear light, but I really like the safety enhancement, along with the convenience factor.

I'd also note that the Varia RTL515 changes up the flash pattern temporarily when it first detects an approaching vehicle. I feel this aids in catching the driver's attention.

As great as the Varia is though, a mirror remains a good complement. Varia doesn't tell me if the vehicle(s) are in my lane or an adjacent one, nor does it tell me if the vehicle behind is a compact car or a truck towing a pontoon boat, and I've seen the Varia falsely "clear" the display when the following vehicle exactly paces me for enough time. Varia also doesn't really give me any info about whether my wife is keeping up or not when we're riding together, nor does it help with info as to positioning/closeness of other riders in a group ride peloton when on my road bike.

Back