Mission Control and Garmin RTL515

fatshark

Region
United Kingdom
City
The Howling Wildernes
There's been a marked increase in electric cars this year and they sneak up on the narrow roads around here ... so I'm considering a Garmin radar. The RTL515 is currently reduced (but still expensive :(). Does anyone know whether I can run Mission Control on my phone and have the Garmin display info on the same screen? I currently only use the TCU (? top tube display on a Vado SL 5.0) and I presume there's no way to get the radar to 'talk' to that?

With thanks

I just tried it, and it doesn't seem like the Mission Control App can talk to radar. If you go into devices, it offers to pair with a BLE heart rate monitor, but that's it. I did this test while the TCU itself (the big one, not the top tube style) was showing the radar status. None of the "ride" pages like map or status showed the radar. The tiles on the stats page don't offer a radar option.

You might not strictly need the display because it also beeps (assuming the top tube style display can beep) distinctive "car is coming" and "all clear" signals.

Also, there is a standalone app for the radar which is a huge waste of your phone real estate, but it does show the info.

BTW I was skeptical of how good a "one dimensional" radar could be, and I watched a bunch of reviews before I bought mine. I was sold on the first ride.

edit: I tested on a Turbo Tero X

Last edited:
There's been a marked increase in electric cars this year and they sneak up on the narrow roads around here ... so I'm considering a Garmin radar. The RTL515 is currently reduced (but still expensive :(). Does anyone know whether I can run Mission Control on my phone and have the Garmin display info on the same screen? I currently only use the TCU (? top tube display on a Vado SL 5.0) and I presume there's no way to get the radar to 'talk' to that?

With thanks

unfortunately not, which is ironic given that specialized sells bikes with the varia built in.

this is what they told me when i inquired in october '21 - it seems like it wasn't on their ... radar [sic]

varia.JPG

i doubt this is difficult at all, most cycling apps on the iPhone overlay the varia data along the side of the screen and have various options for beeping and so on. i would not ride on public roads without a varia, full stop.

You might not strictly need the display because it also beeps (assuming the top tube style display can beep) distinctive "car is coming" and "all clear" signals.

Also, there is a standalone app for the radar which is a huge waste of your phone real estate, but it does show the info.

it would definitely have to be a newer SL with the mastermind top tube display. my creo with the original top tube display (same as vado sl) will definitely not pair with a varia and beep. you'd also lose the graphic representation and color bars, since it can only pair with one thing at once. those are super useful, you can see the color out of your peripheral vision and knowing if it's one car or two or more is really useful. often the second car is the most dangerous - the first can see you, especially with the varia blinking angrily at them - but the second car is behind the first one, just wondering angrily why they're going so slow.

Looks like the ridewithgps app might be a good choice, looks like it can display the radar along with a map: https://ridewithgps.com/news/4707-garmin-varia-ride-with-gps-compatibility

You can also get a standalone Varia receiver... It just costs as much as a Garmin GPS.
RWPGS is good, i prefer cadence, which is much more focused on super flexible dashboards, incredibly customizable.

HOWEVER keep in mind that you won’t get motor power, battery, rider power, etc on these apps from the specialized system over bluetooth. only mission control will receive that. if you really want to standardize on a non mission control app that also displays the varia overlay, you’ll have to use an ANT+ to bluetooth bridge. a little fussy but works.

Rider power? What's that? Probably not relevant for me ;)
Many thanks ... I'll have a look at both those Apps.

The easiest way is to just buy a Wahoo ELEMNT bike GPS computer. It works as an excellent Specialized e-bike display, GPS navigation, and it is compatible with the Garmin Varia radar.

1684143903897.png

Wahoo ELEMNT Roam will display the Varia dots representing approaching cars on the right hand side of the screen in the UK and other left hand side traffic countries, or on the left hand side elsewhere. Wahoo is the only bike computer that can understand the SL Range Extender, too.

Thanks Stefan ... it probably is the easiest, but it more than doubles the price of adding the radar ... V1 of the ELMNT appears to be about £180 discounted here. Radar is about £130.

Neat implementation of the radar signal on the screen though :)

Thanks Stefan ... it probably is the easiest, but it more than doubles the price of adding the radar ... V1 of the ELMNT appears to be about £180 discounted here. Radar is about £130.

Neat implementation of the radar signal on the screen though :)
The ELEMNT is the primary display for my both Specialized e-bikes, especially for the Vado SL (as it has no own display). I'm not attracted by the Varia though (unless that were delivered integrated with the e-bike as it is on the current Vado 5.0). The rear-view mirror and my hearing have to do for me!

They just released the eRTL615 if you want to do your own integration. Only twice the price to remove the battery and be configured for horizontal install!
Nah, thank you :) I regularly ride two different Spec e-bikes and it looks like an overkill to me :) I understand many people might need the Varia but I'll pass! :)

The easiest way is to just buy a Wahoo ELEMNT bike GPS computer. It works as an excellent Specialized e-bike display, GPS navigation, and it is compatible with the Garmin Varia radar.

View attachment 153687
Wahoo ELEMNT Roam will display the Varia dots representing approaching cars on the right hand side of the screen in the UK and other left hand side traffic countries, or on the left hand side elsewhere. Wahoo is the only bike computer that can understand the SL Range Extender, too.
Stefan, I've got a stupid question...how do you get the Varia to display on the Wahoo Bolt?

unfortunately not, which is ironic given that specialized sells bikes with the varia built in.

this is what they told me when i inquired in october '21 - it seems like it wasn't on their ... radar [sic]

View attachment 153637

i doubt this is difficult at all, most cycling apps on the iPhone overlay the varia data along the side of the screen and have various options for beeping and so on. i would not ride on public roads without a varia, full stop.
I was just going to start a search but thought I'd be lazy and ask. Obviously, you have an iphone but I was wondering if there are apps, ANDROID in my case, that overlay Varia on maps or apps or what-have-you. I have it paired to my Garmin Edge 1030+ but I'd be curious about other options (and now the search begins)

ANDROID in my case, that overlay Varia on maps or apps or what-have-you
I just tested the Varia app and it won't do the built-in android split-screen thing which would have been quite useful. It doesn't have the "split" option in the long press menu and if you start the split with another app and try to choose the Varia as a secondary app it just says "choose another app".

The Garmin RTL515 for me is essential bit of kit and I hate riding without it, it is that good. I have it paired to my Garmin headunit (currently using 1040), but have had it on 1030 and 1000 previously. There are some interesting IQ app you can run on Garmin headunit to get extra functionality such as car count and vehicle approach speed. Therefore it may be worth looking at various cycle computers as many support it

The Garmin RTL515 for me is essential bit of kit and I hate riding without it, it is that good. I have it paired to my Garmin headunit (currently using 1040), but have had it on 1030 and 1000 previously. There are some interesting IQ app you can run on Garmin headunit to get extra functionality such as car count and vehicle approach speed. Therefore it may be worth looking at various cycle computers as many support it
I don't know what happened but Friday I went out for my 15 mile loop and a block from the house the Garmin 1030+ was DARK. It is paired with the Varia radar light. I stopped. Tried powering it back on. NOPE. Got off the bike and played with the Varia. NOPE. Pressed both buttons on the Garmin hoping for a hard reboot or whatever (I don't know if there is such a sequence!). The Garmin had been charged the night before. But I did not want to cancel my ride so off I went but without my beloved RADAR and its warning beeps and overlays on the Garmin. I felt naked and was very careful not to pull out without being very careful. How easily we become use to these additions to our riding safety. (I was already thinking of what to replace it with on the ride)

I still don't know what happened. When I got home I plugged it in and no sign of life. I pressed the power button for a long press and then the other button (lower right). I did it repeatedly and suddenly it showed the charging screen with 98% power. I left it charging. Fired it up yesterday/Saturday with some trepidation. It seemed to have worked and worked for the 23 mile ride. Nice to have my signals back.

I don't know what happened but Friday I went out for my 15 mile loop and a block from the house the Garmin 1030+ was DARK. It is paired with the Varia radar light. I stopped. Tried powering it back on. NOPE. Got off the bike and played with the Varia. NOPE. Pressed both buttons on the Garmin hoping for a hard reboot or whatever (I don't know if there is such a sequence!). The Garmin had been charged the night before. But I did not want to cancel my ride so off I went but without my beloved RADAR and its warning beeps and overlays on the Garmin. I felt naked and was very careful not to pull out without being very careful. How easily we become use to these additions to our riding safety. (I was already thinking of what to replace it with on the ride)

I still don't know what happened. When I got home I plugged it in and no sign of life. I pressed the power button for a long press and then the other button (lower right). I did it repeatedly and suddenly it showed the charging screen with 98% power. I left it charging. Fired it up yesterday/Saturday with some trepidation. It seemed to have worked and worked for the 23 mile ride. Nice to have my signals back.
I had a similar issue a while back. The Varia has two links on Garmin, being radar and light. The primary one to connect to is radar as the light is secondary use. When I connected to light first, I had no radar either. The light can be operated manually by power button on Varia, where as the radar is dependent on display. It can rarely have those temp issues, but should be fine going forward

I had a similar issue a while back. The Varia has two links on Garmin, being radar and light. The primary one to connect to is radar as the light is secondary use. When I connected to light first, I had no radar either. The light can be operated manually by power button on Varia, where as the radar is dependent on display. It can rarely have those temp issues, but should be fine going forward
I did find after posting (reading the manual!) that pressing the POWER button for ten or so seconds does reboot without losing any data.

Yes, I got the light blinking (somewhat drives a friend crazy but she's halfway there already!) but with no Edge, no radar. And now that I think about it, that may be part of what might have triggered this issue. I recalled "Peleton" mode and had briefly gone looking for it before that ride to reduce the blinking on following riders. But it looked like it needed pairing in Garmin connect or something and I did not want to jeopardize my Mission Control pairing so backed out. Maybe that upset things.

Back