mid drives are not for everyone/throttles are fine

@AHicks probably 200lbs when that vid was taken in SE OR in the Steens Mtns.. I do admit that I have been a cyclist for a very long time and have my own pedaling process down pat so I do what I can to stay on top of the assist level 90% of the time. That particular instance was by no means the toughest climb I have done with one of my hub bikes either.

My Z1 I ride now pretty much exclusively will climb even more technical terrain with aplomb and roll roads like that with much more confidence and security, and speed. I am finding it hard to give much love to my drop bar bikes these days.....So whereas some mtb'ers put more credence on downhill capability I am the opposite and get more enjoyment out of cleaning a difficult climb/muddy rooty rocky trail and ride my brakes down the other side. Hard on pads without regen but they are easy to replace.

Truth? I don't like the idea of bad information being spread, possibly to somebody that may believe you enough to give it a try, only to find out later what a waste of time and money that information was. In other words, learning the hard way.

If you would like to share the fact you've managed to do what you're talking about, and willing to share the details (maybe a picture of YOUR install?), no issue here. But to present it in a manner where somebody may misinterpret it and assume this is a widespread mainstream practice, I find that an issue I'll likely speak up about. -Al
Well Al I can see you have an issue, for whatever reason you are not able to comprehend the simplicity and the fact that utilities have been oil cooling their motors for decades , soooo, I would suggest with ALL SINCERITY, that YOU never try this on your own. Period end of story.

Well Al I can see you have an issue, for whatever reason you are not able to comprehend the simplicity and the fact that utilities have been oil cooling their motors for decades , soooo, I would suggest with ALL SINCERITY, that YOU never try this on your own. Period end of story.
What we're talking about is geared hubs. If you aren't speaking about oil cooled geared hubs, you've lost my attention. I have better things to do.... especially when dealing with smug younguns....

I have been friends with @vincent for over 4 years now.

In those years, she has had probably 10 different bikes (I listed few of them below). So, I am sure she knows what she is talking about.

Brands like Juiced, Volt, Rad enable people to get on bikes who would otherwise never think about E-bikes. Some of these bikes by default also have a throttle feature.
When I was visiting Nova Scotia last year, I was surprised to see Rad Power and Volt bikes on the road. No Trek, Giant or specialized bikes. The market demography is big enough to accommodate both.

View attachment 52151
Well said Ravi !

Back