Maxxis Hookworms

I ordered these along with the light Q-tubes, so I'll let you know how they go when they arrive.
Great! I am riding along on the OEM tires, and they definitely are not the compromise I need. Look forward to your impressions.

@joyride Curious as to why you chose the lightweight tube? They aren't as strong; like those Maxxis Hookworms-good tread and pattern. Seem to wear well.

@joyride Curious as to why you chose the lightweight tube? They aren't as strong; like those Maxxis Hookworms-good tread and pattern. Seem to wear well.

The bike is a tank, and I currently have to drag it up a flight of stairs to get it in my apartment. It's doable, but I'm also trying to trim a little weight from it. If the lightweight tubes suck, I'll just go back to the normal ones.

The bike is a tank, and I currently have to drag it up a flight of stairs to get it in my apartment. It's doable, but I'm also trying to trim a little weight from it. If the lightweight tubes suck, I'll just go back to the normal ones.

You are one tuff person to have to drag the Radrover up a flight of stairs everyday. My office is on the 2nd floor and I use the elevator. I can take the back stairs down in the afternoon and just use both hand brakes to creep down.

Have you tried "walk" mode (I think press and hold the up arrow on PAS pad to engage this feature) or lightly use the throttle to see if the Radrover would make it up like that?

I believe walk mode is used by press & hold the down arrow. Great feature tho I sometimes think just toying the throttle is easier.

I could only imagine trying to haul 65lbs of bike up the stairs. No thank you!!

Great! I am riding along on the OEM tires, and they definitely are not the compromise I need. Look forward to your impressions.

Just took these tires for their first commute and they are so smooth. I pumped them to 20psi (same as the original tires), but they roll to the side a little too much. Like, I feel that if I cornered too hard they'd roll right off the rim. I read a review that said they pumped them to 30psi and they felt awesome at that spot. I'll keep upping that until they feel comfortable. I kept the original tubes in because I couldn't find my attachment for the presta valves on the q lites, probably won't change until one of these dies.

Installed the two cheapie from ebay tires. ($46 shipped for the pair)
Maybe it is the soul patch on them, but I definitely like the look of the OEM tires better. The bike lost some of its soul, and so had to put some on the yellow patch of the tire....
Too crappy out for a ride report, but I bet they ride like they look. I have them inflated to 35 pounds. I read a review on them, and it was reported that they were quiet and rolled great, but that was it. That is exactly what I'm looking for though! Street commuting type.
I guess it may have been this sentence from that review: "I haven’t found any street slicks for my commuter fat bikes yet that are any better than the Duro". (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
https://electricbike-blog.com/2016/...tell-all-the-ladies-that-its-4-inches-really/
cheapie tires.jpg

Last edited:
Well, after 30 mile on the new tires...
smile-02.jpg

If you use your Rover on pavement /hardpack exclusively, I can't recommend these tires (or Hookworms or...) strongly enough. Super smooth, and I swear, the bike is twice as efficient!

For those long-term Maxxis Hookworms users. How is the treadlife? I had to rotate the tires on my RR at around 700 miles and I might get around 1300-1500 miles out of them if I run the the knobs almost off with about 85% paved riding.

How many miles and do you need to rotate tires after X amount of miles?

I've noticed I only get full use of the 4" of fat tire off road in sandy conditions at 20 PSI. I end up wearing out the middle 2.25 -2.75 inches of the center knobs because of so much paved road riding. I wonder why they don't make a more flat fat tire to use the entire 4" instead of a rounded tire (similar to a car tire). I might try a plus size knobby tire or the Maxxis Hookworms once my Vee8 wear down.

I would think rounded so it will handle corner grip effectively. Flat like a car tire would be squirrelly handling in the corners. I got the cheapie tires that resemble motorcycle tires and honestly don't think you can improve on them but if you only ride pavement /hard pack. Less than fifty bucks a pair delivered, thirty five psi, and they're sweethearts on a rover.

Put hookworms on my Radrover today, had trouble getting the bead to seat on the back one, took several tries before it seated evenly, I'm running 30psi as a starting point, weather today is crappy so I haven't ridden it far . Like the smooth quiet ride but will have to see if they work out. All the trouble I had getting the bead to seat worries me if I have a flat in the woods with only a hand pump to get the tire seated again. What pressure have you settled on ?
Suggest you fit the tyres and pump them up to the maximum recommended pressure to force the tyre bead to seat into the rim. Once you hear the tyre bead "click" into the rim, then let the pressure out to what you require

Suggest you fit the tyres and pump them up to the maximum recommended pressure to force the tyre bead to seat into the rim. Once you hear the tyre bead "click" into the rim, then let the pressure out to what you require
Wetting the rim and tire with soapy water will help too.

I am confused about the tube size for the 26x2.5 hookworms on 26.4 rims. I saw mostly 2.5-2.7 tubes mentioned, but a couple of users kept the original 26x4 tubes.... could I get away with a 26x2.5 tube? I am ready to put in an order but not sure about the tubes. thanks!

UPDATE: I found a LBS that stocks 26 x 2.35-2.75 tubes so I will get those.
Has anyone try using the original 26 x 4 fat tire tube with the thinner 26 x 2.5 Maxxis Hookworm? @america94 Any advice on the tubes to go with the thinner Maxxis tires?

Thanks for the recommendation @Christopher85083 on the Hookworms!

The Hookworms ride so much better than the stock Juggernaut's on my RadRover. The Hookworm rubber is so grippy. The extra rubber at the middle seams of the tire hasn't even worn off yet. That's tough!

I'm curious about tires. Tried searching some of those mentioned here (Schwalbe, Maxxis, etc), but I'm still lagging behind the curve. I only see Marathon Plus and Big Ben's at up to 2" wide, are you not running a 4-5" tire? Is that mostly for street riding or something? I guess I'm mainly posting for tire advice, why and how are y'all selecting tire tubes? lol. I'm likely going to be on road most of the time, but in Minnesota, I'm going through thick brush too.

Radrover owners have put anywhere from 2.5" to 4.8" tires on the existing Radrover rims. Not sure about going tubeless and what is needed to convert. I just use Kenda 26X3.5-4.0" fat tire tubes with Schrader valves, Amazon, $20. I just see the inner tube as an added layer of protection and easier to fix a server flat with a tube. I did on one occasion run over some glass at 5:30am on my work commute that put a 1/8" slit in the rear tire, Mr. Tuffy liner, and tube. The slit on the tire was too big for Stans to seal; but, a patch kit on the tube and few pumps of air got me on my way.

It really depends on your mix of urban, hard-packed trail, single track, mud/sand/rocks/inclines, and weather for the right tires for the job. For me, I would lean more towards the Maxxis if I was +95% paved roads/trails in an urban environment and 5% or less dry weather hard-packed trails. Once you air up any fat tire to +20 PSI, only about 2-2.5" of the center tread is making contact with the road anyways. The Maxxis is perfect for a fast and comfortable ride with (waaaaay) less noise and better traction than the Kenda.

I'm about 60%-70% urban with hard-packed to single track trails with occasional sandy/rocky/muddy with steep inclines around 5% of the time at 200-225 miles a month. The 120 tpi Vee8 are much better for my riding because they give me:
- less road noise
- longer tread wear
- lighter tire
- more knobs to lessen flats (all of my Kenda punctures were between the spaced out knobs, the Vee8 have a lot more knobs for added protection)
- no tools needed to seat/unseat the tires because they are 120 tpi (can be a pain sometimes because the tire is so floppy with a folding bead)

I usually set the PSI to 20-22 for commuting and I can drop it down to 12-17 PSI for 100% trail riding days. Even at 20 PSI, the Vee8 can still traverse the occasional spots of mud/sand/rocks and make you own trail situations with ease on a trail that would stop a thinner tire (less dig in and more float compared to a thinner tire). The Vee8 is like a year round all season "jack of all trades, master of none" car tire.

The other day on a slight detour riding home after work. I was riding the single track trails near the Rio Grande river and a tree fell overnight across the path. I just made my own path with the Vee8 tires around the soft sandy terrain around the fallen tree without missing a beat.

Attachments

• Radrover tree fall.jpg
    Radrover tree fall.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 2,632
Last edited:
I have the hookworms ready to be put on with the DH tubes. I do ride on some gravel, but not much, do you think there will be any issues with dirt roads gravel? I won't be doing anything extreme, more straight away on gravel/hard pack.

I have the hookworms ready to be put on with the DH tubes. I do ride on some gravel, but not much, do you think there will be any issues with dirt roads gravel? I won't be doing anything extreme, more straight away on gravel/hard pack.

IMO they get just as good of traction on gravel/dirt as the Juggernaut's. That initially blew my mind considering the tread difference.

Back