Maxxis Hookworms

Hi Christopher:

Thank you for your post! I changed out my tires to the Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5 and I am really enjoying the change.

I felt the fat tires on the pavement made the bike feel more like a motorcycle and less like a mountain bike.

Since the change I feel the bike has returned to a mountain bike feel. The bike responds so much better and for me its much easier to handle.

I went 20 miles utilizing PAS 2-3 on the new tires in the eastbay and bay bridge and only used one bar of charge.

I also ordered the Maxxis Minion 26x2.5 to fully return the mountain bike feel.

I hear good things about the Maxxis tires.

...that damn bright yellow logo on the sides of the tires tho. I much rather have all black tires or at least white letters so everything flows nicely :p

IMG_8422.jpg
Changed out tires for the maxxis minions 26x2.5. Better for mountain biking.

Hey guys,,,, this is a great thread on quieter tires. My Rover is set for delivery this Friday (1/27/17) I've never ridden one yet. So, this will be an experience. I have on occasion ridden my mountain bike on pavement and know that the noise the tires make compared to my road bike with skinny slicks is very noticeable. So,,, I'm glad to have found this forum and all your input on a smoother/quieter fat tire. Kudos Christopher,, and to the rest of you. Since I'm buying this bike for my wife to ride along with me on my rides, it's good to know that not only will the hookworms quiet the ride, but also drop the stand over a bit. I'm 5'10" and she is about 5'7". So,, I'm concerned about her ability to ride it as the top tube might cause problems for her since she only wears skirts. (Yes, she'll be wearing leggings) She does OK on her Hybrid when we ride. But, her stamina is very limited and we don't get too ride together much, except for very short rides. I'm hoping this Rover will open up a new experience for us both as she'll be about to ride more without taxing her body so much.
Also,,, after completing my first ever Century ride last June,,, my knees are really howling at me now. So,,, I might be selling my other 3 bikes (mountain, road & Hybrid) and buying another Rad Power Bike. We'll see what this summer holds in store for this 57 yr old man. lol

@MRWebby More torque/acceleration is nice too due to 2" lower diameter! I loved the hookworms when I had them on my Rover...
Sounds good.. I'm going to see how well my wife can straddle it with the stock tires. And then go from there.
PS,,,, my RR arrived yesterday just before I had to leave for work. Hopefully I'll have some time Monday or Tuesday to get it assembled.

@MRWebby The Hookworms are a wonderful tire. Night and day difference from stock. Super grippy from bead to bead and make the bike feel completely different and safer (on the street). They are 2" lower inflated for a tire height of true 26" so your seat height will be an inch lower. The stock tires say 26", but are 29" when inflated properly.

@MRWebby The Hookworms are a wonderful tire. Night and day difference from stock. Super grippy from bead to bead and make the bike feel completely different and safer (on the street). They are 2" lower inflated for a tire height of true 26" so your seat height will be an inch lower. The stock tires say 26", but are 29" when inflated properly.
Thanks walawn,,, gonna try and get this RR assembled tomorrow. (fingers crossed) I'm off until Friday. But,,, the temps are still too cold for this COLD BLOODED old man here in Indiana to be in to big of a hurry. lol I've got a set of hookworms in my Amazon cart in case I decide to pull the trigger on a set. Thanks again for the info,,, greatly appreciated,,,, :)

Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5 with Maxxis 2.5-2.7 DH tubes.

Diameter drops from 29" with the Kenda to 27" with the Maxxis.

No test ride yet, but I do like the look of them. :)

Hey Christopher, can you confirm the links to the tires and the tubes on Amazon:

Tires 26 x 2.5: https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-Hookw...-1&keywords=Maxxis+Hookworm+26x2.5&th=1&psc=1
Tubes 26 x 2.5 - 2.7: https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-Downh...1&keywords=Maxxis+2.5-2.7+DH+tubes&th=1&psc=1

On the tires, does it matter Wire beaded 70a vs 60a? Which one?
On the tubes, does it matter Schrader vs Presta valve type? Which one?

I want to reduce the tire size so I can get it on to the Seattle metro bus. So these tires will be a savior for me.

Has anyone tried these on a Radrover or similar? They are 26 x 3.0" , US$44.50 for a pair (2 tires) + shipping, etc. There are several sellers of these "Beach Bum" tires on eBay.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

b7dw6d.png

2z3nqcy.png

Last edited:
Supergoop, those look good. Might just order up a set.
For those running the Hookworms, (and it's been asked but not answered) what PSI are you airing them up to? Does the bike ride noticeably harder?

Last edited:
Has anyone tried these on a Radrover or similar? They are 26 x 3.0" , US$44.50 for a pair (2 tires) + shipping, etc. There are several sellers of these "Beach Bum" tires on eBay.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

b7dw6d.png

2z3nqcy.png
Just ordered up a set of those. For less than $50/pair delivered, worth it to experiment, thanks for the link! Not crazy about the logo's, will do something about them. Also, don't be in a hurry for them, looks like they are predicting the better part of a month to get here.

I guess I'll have to source up some tubes now.

Just ordered up a set of those. For less than $50/pair delivered, worth it to experiment, thanks for the link! Not crazy about the logo's, will do something about them. Also, don't be in a hurry for them, looks like they are predicting the better part of a month to get here.

I guess I'll have to source up some tubes now.
Great! Please give us your thoughts (hopefully with some pictures) after you have them installed. I wonder how difficult it is to install these. The rubber looks pretty stiff.

Last edited:
Great! Please give us your thoughts (hopefully with some pictures) after you have them installed. I wonder how difficult it is to install these. The rubber looks pretty stiff.
I'm sure mounting won't be too big an issue. I'll keep the Kendra's for winter season, and these for the summer.

Back