Manual brake sticking

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia
The front Tektro Aries manual brake on my RadExpand stopped working at the top of a hill, thankfully the motor inhibitor & rear brake was enough to bring me to a stop before I over-ran into the intersection at the bottom. The bike is 4 months old and I've put about 400 miles on the odo. I had earlier adjusted the caliper bolt to tighten the cable as it began to stretch, but now I wonder if the pads wore out (this is my first bike with disk brakes). I am unsure if the clicking sound is a problem with the brake cable sticking in the housing. After chatting with Rad I'm going to take it in to the shop I bought it from for repair as they're a Rad-authorized dealer so can work with them to authorize any warranty claim for parts & labor. Hopefully it will be a simple fix, while I wait I'm riding around on a lightweight Zizzo Liberte folding pedal bike.

Last edited:
Best luck with the warranty work.
I have Tektro cable calipers with about 12000 miles on them. I have had no trouble with failing to close. If cable clamp is not tightened properly, the cable can come loose.
Brake pads, the gap should be about 1/64" with the brake handle released. I tighten my caliper about every 1000 miles. You use a 5 mm ball end allen wrench from the opposite side of the caliper. Clockwise is tighten.

Back