M2S Ultra HT vs FLX Trail 5?

DMunn

I'm torn between these two bikes: M2S ULTRA HT OR FLX TRAIL 5. Both seem to satisfy my desire for mid drive, powerful, torque sensor, trail and road use bikes. I'll use it primarily camping with our RV going on rails to trails paths, country roads, fire roads, etc. I don't anticipate going on difficult single tracks, snow or sand in any frequency. I'm 62, 5'8", 165lb, in good shape and an experienced rider. I would get the optional 27.5" x 3" wheel set from M2S if I went with the Ultra HT. I like to go fast and appreciate quality hardware. Both seem a lot more powerful than the offering from the big three at the $3000 price point. I love the idea of 160 nm of torque on the Ultra but concerned about what a 72 lb bike feels like to ride. The FLX is only 120 nm but at 46 lbs I'm thinking it will feel like a Mini Cooper vs the M2S feeling like a very fast Suburban. Any insights, opinions and experiences you can share will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

I am skeptical the FLX Trail 5 is 46 pounds. I have a Luna X1 (carbon frame with M600 and FS) and it weighs 55 pounds. I would expect the FLX Trail to be closer to 50 pounds. It still will be much lighter than an Ultra based bike.

Which to get? I would consider the Luna X1 if you want the M600 motor and have the budget. You are correct in your assumption about the difference in ride between a much heavier bike with the Ultra and lighter bike with the M600. I added the X1 to my quiver as I wanted a lighter FS bike that was easier to transport and more nimble than my 73 pound Frey CC Ultra (which I prefer for city riding, errands, etc.). I don't think I'd want the X1 for city riding though with no option to add a rack (due to the dropper post and carbon frame). The FLX trail might be more versatile in that regard.

Last edited:
If you are on a budget I might also consider the Sondors Rockstar (if you can wait). It is a heavier Ultra based bike and the shocks aren't going to be high end but for the price it looks awesome for what you plan to do. It's not like FLX or M2S is putting high end stuff on their bikes either. FLX support has been dismal as of late and I don't expect that to get any better once they need to support all the babymaker customers.

Thanks Tomdav! Do you think the Luna X1 gives up anything to your heavy bike on casual comfort if you just want to go on a casual "bike ride" on the road? It looks like a pretty specialized weapon designed to go through tight, rough and twisty terrain very fast.

It gives up power for sure (even the Ludi version won't have the power of the Ultra). Torque sensing isn't anything to write home about on either the Ultra or M600. I am in the process of upgrading my Ultra to the new afermarket Archon controller from Watt Wagons. And on my Luna X1 I'm underwhelmed with PAS 1 and 2 and thtrottle is a big yawn (at least on the stock M600). Luna thinks they may have given me the torque sensing recipe for Ludi by mistake (the Ludi controller needs to be dialed back to compensate for the extra power) and I'm still working with them to resolve (they actually offered to upgrade me to Ludi for free). If you want refined torque sensing get something from the Big 3. The Luna X1 is reportedly great for aggressive descents. The only real knock on the X1 besides the torque sensing being a little unrefined is the rims are a bit heavy (you can always upgrade to carbon rims later if you want to shave another 5 pounds).

Back