A quick ride review of the Vado SL 4.0

dynamic

Region
USA
I finally took a vado SL for a spin. And, there is a lot to like. Really a lot. But it also definitely isn't the bike for everyone.

I saw the spring sale on the vado SL 5.0 and decided this might be the time to spring for a new couples bike (we just got disgustingly cute matching SUV's.... ). My wife and I still haven't found e-bikes we really want to ride. My LBS had a 4.0 in Large available to ride. So I did. I am theoretically a medium, but honestly had no issues on the large.

I live in a place that is very hilly. I can't really go on any ride unless I am prepared for 500-1,000 foot ascents with 8-15% grade, often worse. Most routes have far more elevation in addition to dirt roads and pot holes. To my surprise, I liked the Vado SL quite a bit on this terrain. Even without future shock or a suspension seat post. The bike feels almost effortless as you change direction. By contrast, the bigger options feel like they are lumbering by comparison. The SL is almost skittish in how quickly to responds to your control. For me it was both surprising and appreciated.

I found that I did not want to turn on the motor. The best part of riding this bike was absolutely keeping the motor off and relying on your own power only. I really needed to be presented with some hill in order to want the motor. The gearing was sufficient even on the 4.0. I never hit the extreme gears out of need in either direction (or if I did, I never asked for another one and got nothing).

Now, for the flaw: The motor just isn't enough for me on my terrain. This here, this is my "goal bike". In a year or two, I could see myself getting one because I will eventually be able to take this bike on the same routes I took the vado 5. They will take longer. And it will be hard work, but, at that point, the increased effort will feel good. Right now, the thought of tackling some of these 15-20 mile rides with 3-4k of elevation is not very appealing on this bike. The next thing: I still don't like going slow uphill. It was *not* as bad on this bike, and I can't say why. I didn't have my garmin/other stuff on the ride so I have zero idea how fast I was going (possibly going faster than I normally do grinding up a hill). But it wasn't soul crushingly slow. Just annoyingly slow. That's a pretty good step in the right direction. Whether it's due to bike feel, or I was able to go faster, I don't know. But I have encountered hills that make me go soul crushingly slow on the vado. Not much fun.

I am also a bit concerned about the terrain. I basically stayed away from any of the harder stuff. No dirt, dodged the pot holes... etc. What little problematic terrain I did encounter did not inspire me with confidence. I am not convinced this bike would be "fun" on the backroads of vermont. But, since I didn't try it, I could be very wrong on that one. I am also not sure future shock + kinect seat post wouldn't fix that problem.

I rode the bike home and let my wife try it. This particular model is not an option because her thighs were rubbing the frame. There is the step through model and she probably needed her position adjusted. But it is a thing. She also agreed the motor is probably *just* enough to get in and out of town but not really adventure worthy.

On the upside, I believe this bike has convinced me that a chain experience can be acceptable. I enjoyed the ride experience more than my FLX Blade 2.0 despite it being much harder to do the same route. I took the FLX down to the LBS, rode the SL back and swapped again. Since I didn't have to worry about battery, I unleashed the flx and flew up the hill. The SL riding style begs for moderation. The bike practically forces you into an endurance riding mode. The FLX begs for me to put more power into the pedals because the reward is so extreme. But this also highlights the lack of refinement in the flx. The SL just felt like I had more endurance than I would normally have on a regular bike. It felt natural. And switching gears is actually less invasive than the FLX ( the flx has a motor limiter, so the motor shuts off on gear changes to protect the rohloff hub).

Anywho, if I were more fit or lived in a less hilly area, I likely would be buying at least one of these. It is a genuinely fun bike. And I wouldn't hesitate if not for my fitness and terrain. Great bike!

Happy Riding!

good ride report! re:chains and derailleurs being just fine for fitness / mild adventure bikes … we told you so!!! belt and IGH is fantastic for city bikes and commuters and hard core long distance trekking.

a lightweight bike with the right gearing really doesn’t require much motor to go up a hill, as long you’re willing to go very slow 😂 which as you pointed out, isn’t all that fun, but is more fun on a bike like the SL than most. i’m confident you can get there 😇

I am theoretically a medium, but honestly had no issues on the large.
The same situation here. My demo ride was a Vado SL 4.0 Large. I eventually bought a Vado SL 4.0 EQ Medium because that was available in the showroom (the L was a demo e-bike only). Later, I had to put some work to extend the Reach for a better riding position. (I should have waited and get me an L!)

• If you consider a VSL purchase, better go with the VSL 5.0 to avoid any future issues with installing a suspension stem such as Redshift. The Future Shock will sort that for you.
  • Next is the EQ or non-EQ. The non-EQ integrates the tail-light with the seatpost and saddle. If you consider replacing the seatpost with something suspended, the EQ is a better option.
  • The last thing about the EQ is the front fender, which is not very well designed for riding light terrain such as the forest. The first thing I did after several forest rides was removing the front fender for good and replacing it with an AssSaver...

Last edited:
we told you so!!!
Indeed! Are you absolutely sure the maintenance differences won’t make me crazy? ;)

i’m confident you can get there 😇
Eventually. But I honestly almost turned around on the hill.

When I tried the diverge last year, I did turn around, however, I have also likely increased performance since then.

Would you say a regular (and even lighter) bike would possibly be in the same “feeling” range just slower? Will it really just be speed?

! Are you absolutely sure the maintenance differences won’t make me crazy? ;)

Would you say a regular (and even lighter) bike would possibly be in the same “feeling” range just slower? Will it really just be speed?

well, i don’t know you enough to say what will and won’t make you crazy 😜 but hundreds of millions ride chain and derailleur bikes without mental illness! i don’t love it in concept, but in reality i don’t mind. i clean my chain on the bike and apply drip lube every couple hundred miles, takes 2-3 min. spray some degreaser on the cassette and scrub every so often or after a nasty ride. replacing the chain every 3k miles is the most obnoxious part to me.

your hills may be steeper than the ones i ride here, which tend to top out at around 10% for short-ish stretches (<1/2 mile) and average 6% or so over very long climbs. i found the benefits of a very light bike, a little weight reduction elsewhere, and the right gearing made for an uphill ride just as enjoyable as a bit of assist for a higher speed. there’s absolutely a point of no return though, in the 5mph and 70rpm range, below either of which it’s just not fun.

i ride my road bikes for fun/exercise/sport, and the fixed element is time, so the difference between a nice hard two hour ride at 200w of human power and a nice hard two hour ride at 200w of human power + 150w of bike power is the difference between riding 35 miles and 40 miles, very roughly. not meaningfully more fun to me, and i don’t mind spinning up a few big hills very slowly. but it took me about six months to get there, with gradually decreasing assist on the creo. the day i did it on a lighter bike with no assist was great, it felt like i had however much assist would correspond to the last 15 pounds coming off 😂

but hundreds of millions ride chain and derailleur bikes without mental illness! i don’t love it in concept, but in reality i don’t mind. i clean my chain on the bike and apply drip lube every

You have to ...... clean it? and lube it?.... ;) Seriously though, it's not going to happen that regularly. Probably more after the messy rides (I even did that with belt).

a nice hard two hour ride at 200w of human power + 150w of bike power

Except my bike is 200w of me + 1,500 of bike. ;)

My primary form of training is weight lifting which I only restarted in january (after a 3 year hiatus). And, I unfortunately/fortunately am one of those people that only needs to look at a donut get fat(ter). On the flip side, I only need to look at a heavy barbell to gain muscle (it's a bit ridiculous how fast I appear to gain strength/muscle). The end result of both is weight gain for me. And I have gained quite a bit of mass with no signs of that slowing since I restarted training (no diet changes in the time frames). I weigh 15-20 lbs more than I did last summer. But I am quite possibly also trimmer (I don't take size measurements). My best case scenario for weight is my gain will halt as I reach the end of "muscle re-growth" in the next 3-6 months. Based on past experience, that could easily be quite a bit more weight gain before things level off on their own.

All that is to say: weight isn't likely coming off me in significant amounts for the immediate future. So I can only rely on strength/performance gains or equipment weight.

A part of me wants to say screw it and buy a "town" bike with the sole purpose of training the town route. No assist, just do that ride and nothing else. Until it's "easy".

Except my bike is 200w of me + 1,500 of bike. ;)

… but only for a very short amount of time! i’m talking average / total contribution to the ride, over a couple hours. assuming a reasonable sized battery and a two hour ride, the average output isn’t more than 200w or so.

personally i think a cool sweet spot would be a very SMALL battery (keep the weight down!) but a powerful motor so that you could rip up the big hills and just leave the thing off the rest of the time!

Does that exist?
A mid drive Cannondale Topstone, maybe? Not so much on the small battery, but certainly has the hot motor and they’re really great to ride. Don’t discount how much fun these things are once you plug them into your life, by the way 😎

I’ve got both, a Creo and a Giant e gravel bike, love them both. For the big hills or the rougher surfaces it’s the Giant, but for long pleasant rides it’s awful hard to beat that Creo.

Naw, you really don’t want to get into that, the expense gets ridiculous quickly. I thought you were looking at drop bar stuff somewhere in these discussions, my mistake.
I don't drop bar. If I could make them comfortable, I would do it in a minute. But, thus far, no dice.

I think we had the same experience with the SL being a "goal" bike. My challenge with the Vado SL is that it's fitness first. Right now I want to get exercise through biking, not bike for exercise, if that makes sense. I love the Vado SL to death and cannot wait to get one, but I also cannot imagine just jumping on it and riding to go exploring or just "for fun". The Vado SL to me is route planning, getting the right clothes on, brining the right about of water / gel/bars, etc, making sure I don't exert myself too much in one section of the ride so that I can still make it home, etc... In essence, it's my Salsa road bike that I already own, except it's heavier.

I think the biggest factor is really just my level of fitness. If I could just hop on my road bike today and knock out 20-30 miiles, then I think I'd have a much different view of the Vado SL. Looking forward to getting to that place and then re-evaluating the Vado SL!

I can't help but wonder what the Vado SL experience would be like if it had even the 2.0E Brose @ 250W / 50Nm.. I think there's only a 1kg weight difference between the two motors. Would definitely kill the battery faster, but I bet they could program the performance to mimic the current SL motor until "Turbo" mode is activated and then leverage the extra power (and battery draw).

One can dream...

I also cannot imagine just jumping on it and riding to go exploring or just "for fun".
I have surprised myself with Vado SL recently.

Just jumped on it less than two weeks ago and rode for 130 km (80 miles), big part of that being off-road.

1680835108976.png

1680835145363.png

1680835177030.png

1680835201101.png

1680835226530.png

Yes, I had several Range Extenders with me :)

I think the biggest factor is really just my level of fitness. If I could just hop on my road bike today and knock out 20-30 miiles, then I think I'd have a much different view of the Vado SL. Looking forward to getting to that place and then re-evaluating the Vado SL!

Harr there is a good chance your level of fitness possibly equals my senior legs. Do what I have done the past 2.5 years, ride in Turbo mode. It increases my average speed from 13mph for an analog bike to around 20mph for my Vado SL for my regular 20 mile route. And after 2.5 years I still have 4% battery left.

The Vado SL to me is route planning, getting the right clothes on, brining the right about of water / gel/bars, etc
Honestly, even the regular vado needs that here. I need to have some idea of distance and elevation to moderate battery usage.

I think I could do more on the SL as long as I can accept and enjoy the fact that I will do it slowly. Even in turbo, the ride home was intense.

I completely agree that this bike with more power would be spectacular. In fact, I am looking at a few other bikes with exactly that. Not sure I can get any here. Also, most are drop bars. Ugh.

Maybe the next gen vado sl will up the power. Interesting thing about that: my bike shop had a slip around wording that could mean they are aware of a new SL coming. I caught it and asked and the guy got awkward and was like no, nope, no, no nope. *crosses fingers*

Back