Luna M600 v2 Controller Tuning Thread

IOUZIP

Region
USA
I wanted to start a discussion on the M600 v2 controller tuning. I have posted a few questions on the Luna Forum but did not get any responses. So I thought I would see if people who have a v2 controller can offer suggestions for tuning the v2 controller for different uses.

I will repost my questions here in hopes to find answers.
  • The 2022-04-25 is missing the latest VESC settings. The link to the Firmware update on page 22 is spelled wrong and does not open the web page.
  • Is there a list of new features coming and when will the new firmware be available?
  • My suggestion is to Add a Plus and Minus to move the sliders they are really hard to control.
  • Also if you would consider adding the base settings to the v2 manual.
  • Also the term "Throttle" is the handlebar thumb throttle, and the term "PAS" is the pedals?
  • Also is the street tune using the setting from a stock M600 controller?

To start this discussion off I have posted the stock VESC tune settings for 2022-05-09 firmware.
1661088126221.png

Last edited:
My use of the x2 has been for trails that have been carved out of the old Florida Phosphate mines. I have been testing a few settings and wanted to share them. Most of my rides are in PAS 1-3 and when needed a little goose of the throttle. I have lowered my AMPS Max (Bike cfg) tab since I have a 30amp BMS battery not sure how much it plays into the overall tuning. My PAS Amps was lowered to allow for more useable PAS levels from my 860C display which is set to 1-9 levels. I lowered my Power level to 1250 which I guess restricts the max output. RPM was maxed but not sure it matters for trail riding. Throttle Linearity I have set to 80 which I believe reduces the shock to the drivetrain and allows the ramping of power from the throttle. I am still trying to get a balance of power from my tuning. A 3 hour ride with 20miles takes the battery down to 35%. Not sure how low the battery can get before running out of power on the v2 controller. Stock controller reduced power at 20% and caused the low battery display at 18%. If this is the case then 3 hours or 20 miles is my max for the 840 watt battery.

1661864815214.png

Attachments

• 1661089066458.png
    1661089066458.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
To update from my last ride which was 15 miles and I had 55% battery left. Mostly trail and punchy climbs which is my standard ride. Level 2 PAS for flowy trails was great. Level 3 PAS was great for the more techy sections with a few short climbs. Level 4 PAS I did try on a few really tough climbs and it made them much easier. But I like to get a workout too :) Still plenty of power to hit 34 mph on the pavement.

Interesting - I tend to use less battery than you are showing. I rode the 18-mile Starkey ranch trail yesterday on assist 1 (of 5) with power limited to 750 watts. It used about 13% battery. Pretty flat, but I weight 260 lbs. A couple weeks ago I rode a 20-mile loop in Tsali NC that was a blast - lots of ups and downs about 2100 feet of gain total. That again was 90% in assist 1, but it used probably 15% battery (maybe a little more).

Curious - are you mostly riding Alafia trails? We may head out that way next weekend.

I have not yet tried 750 watts setting. Maybe next weekend if the storm stays away. Starkey is a trail I do ride. Many tight twists especially through twisted pines keeps my speed down. About 15 miles is the entire Starkey trail and I like riding it in reverse. Most weekends I ride Croom. Most storms don’t negatively affect Croom riding and actually makes it ride faster. Hunting season just started at Croom so we maybe looking to Santos for Veterans day ride. I live in LOL so not to far from any of the trails.

My use of the x2 has been for trails that have been carved out of the old Florida Phosphate mines. I have been testing a few settings and wanted to share them. Most of my rides are in PAS 1-3 and when needed a little goose of the throttle. I have lowered my AMPS Max (Bike cfg) tab since I have a 30amp BMS battery not sure how much it plays into the overall tuning. My PAS Amps was lowered to allow for more useable PAS levels from my 860C display which is set to 1-9 levels. I lowered my Power level to 1250 which I guess restricts the max output. RPM was maxed but not sure it matters for trail riding. Throttle Linearity I have set to 80 which I believe reduces the shock to the drivetrain and allows the ramping of power from the throttle. I am still trying to get a balance of power from my tuning. A 3 hour ride with 20miles takes the battery down to 35%. Not sure how low the battery can get before running out of power on the v2 controller. Stock controller reduced power at 20% and caused the low battery display at 18%. If this is the case then 3 hours or 20 miles is my max for the 840 watt battery.

View attachment 133724
I have my X2 coming in the next few days. I asked Tony at Luna about the 860c display upgrade and he said that it would not work with the Ludi controller... He said I have to use the stock display... Am I missing something here??

Looks like Luna has changed things. I had sideloaded the Android app when they had it. Now it looks like you have to download and pay for the app. The 860c did not work 100% until I upgraded the firmware to 2022.05.09. I have not had to change the controller setting in a few months. So if the new v2 controllers do not support the color displays Luna would know. Latest info is on the page. I have sent a support ticket asking if I upgrade my controller to the latest firmware 2022.11.25 (V6.0) will I still be able to use my 860c display.

Last edited:
So after a few responses from Luna they confirm that 860c is not support by them on the v2 controller anymore. Does not mean it won't work. Concerns with the display causing problems with the v2 controller. I'm sure a few bricked controllers cost them enough money to reverse there position. The way I was told and learned to use the 860c was to connect the stock controller display DPC240 then do the calibration and firmware update. Then update your tune settings. Then switch over to the 860c display. Not saying you should but you do what you want.

Last edited:
So after a few responses from Luna they confirm that 860c is not support by them on the v2 controller anymore. Does not mean it won't work. Concerns with the display causing problems with the v2 controller. I'm sure a few bricked controllers cost them enough money to reverse there position. The way I was told and learned to use the 860c was to connect the stock controller display DPC240 then do the calibration and firmware update. Then update your tune settings. Then switch over to the 860c display. Not saying you should but you do what you want.
Thanks for the info. I plan on using my phone to program the Ludi controller. I will use a phone mount on the bars. How much info shows on the phone when you are riding? I'm thinking it will work like a display. Am I correct? I'm trying to gather as much information as I can about tuning the controller. I will start with the info you have provided...

I don’t ride with the VESC app. My current settings provide enough power. Most of my riding is flow trails and technical. Power setting 3-4 of 9 is good for all my riding.

I don’t ride with the VESC app. My current settings provide enough power. Most of my riding is flow trails and technical. Power setting 3-4 of 9 is good for all my riding.
I'm not familiar with the app, but is it the VESC Tool? Cost is $3.99?

So, I see that you sold your Ludi controller. I have only heard positive reviews of the controller. Why did you go back to the stock controller? Your settings are noted. I have a lot of steep clilmbs here in the Phoenix and Pintop Arizona area. I'm pretty sure I will need a bit more power than your settings. Am I wrong? Thanks for your help!!

I did not revert back to stock controller. Still have the v2 controller. Had a second controller from another bike. Not too many steep climbs here in FL. I decided to lower the power output for better trail riding. Too much power makes the bike tricky to keep under me. I would start with the stock trail settings that come with the controller before changing the settings. "Power is nothing without control"

I got my X2!! Charging it now. I will welcome any help with the programing of the Ludi. We ride some pretty steep stuff here. First thing I noticed was a clicking noise coming from the derailleur. I remember someone else commenting on it. Any help? Is this normal??

Too many things to cover. The link below takes you to the x2 v2 controller page. Adjust the derailleur to fix the clicking.

Last edited:
I have a couple of rides in on the X2. The PAS/On off switch broke when I must have tightened the bolt too much when I installed new grips. When the housing cracked it would not let the buttons to work. I was able to get it to turn on by using the - button. But it would only go in level 1. I rode that way for half of my last ride. The power level was very low. I have read that the throttle is always at 100%. But, that is only in the level that you are in... Halfway through the ride I decided to take the switch off and try to get it into a different level. It worked and I got it into level 3. That produced 3x as much power to the PAS and the throttle... Anyway, I was lucky as Luna had an extra switch they sold me for $14 plus shipping. Otherwise I would have had to purchase a display and switch for $70. Anybody know the PSI starting point on the rear shock?

You have the Rockshox suspension? PSI depends on your riding weight. Easiest way is to adjust psi to the correct sag of 30%. The rear shock will have the markings.

Yes, I have the Rockshox suspension. I am getting it dialed in.... My biggest concern is the headset. When it arrived, the steering was very stiff. But, the headset still had some slop when I tested it with the front brake on and rocked it. I have learned that there is a fine line in keeping the top bolt tight enough and too tight. If it is too tight the steering is stiff. If too loose you get movement in the headset. I have it as good as I can get it now, but there is still a little slop in the lower bearing area.... Any thoughts??

Pull it apart and grease the headset bearing top and bottom. Then try it again. If it fails I would recommend replacing it with a wolf tooth set.

Back