LUNA FIXED E-BIKE ADVICE/INPUT

wings02

I am very interested in purchasing a Luna Fixed e-bike. I have seen a few reviews that have been very good. I really only plan on riding 10-15 miles at most per ride, often less. I live in Florida so the paths are flat, very little incline. I would appreciate any input about this model from members who own or are familiar with this bike.

Hi... I realize this is a bit of an old thread but I just joined... I have a Luna Fixed and have put ~3K miles on it in the last 18 months... Here are my thoughts. I think it is a fantastic starter ebike. Definitely stealthy -most people can not tell it is electric and just think it is a nice looking 'regular' bike. Range: I usually ride in assist level 2 (of 3) unless a steep incline. I have driven 28 miles on one charge. I often do 20 mile rides with no issues so range it ok -still I would like more range in my next bike. I instantly bought a KINEKT seatpost which made a HUGE difference in comfort. I also replaced the seat and grips (ERGON GP5). Overall, I would recommend this bike and have enjoyed owning it.

Hi... I realize this is a bit of an old thread but I just joined... I have a Luna Fixed and have put ~3K miles on it in the last 18 months... Here are my thoughts. I think it is a fantastic starter ebike. Definitely stealthy -most people can not tell it is electric and just think it is a nice looking 'regular' bike. Range: I usually ride in assist level 2 (of 3) unless a steep incline. I have driven 28 miles on one charge. I often do 20 mile rides with no issues so range it ok -still I would like more range in my next bike. I instantly bought a KINEKT seatpost which made a HUGE difference in comfort. I also replaced the seat and grips (ERGON GP5). Overall, I would recommend this bike and have enjoyed owning it.
Any time I see 'Luna' come up ... my ears perk. I really wanted an Apollo and was very disappointed when Luna seemed to just dwindle away as a company. That's what it looks like from my perspective any way. Of course I'm glad I did not get an Apollo now as Wattwagons has gone light years ahead to my mind. I have a Hydra on order.

But I'm still quite curious about Luna. Do you have any perspective on what is going on over there? Thank you in advance. :)

It looked like they disappeared but I was surprised to find they are taking pre-orders for the X1-Enduro and of course they still sell the Suron but looks like they are not doing well. We'll see what happens - I was pulling for them... I am sure there is a story there we don't know... I liked the X1 and the Apollo had incredible specs. I live in the city and want occasional trail/offroad and just ordered the Bulls Iconic TR1 Speed :)

I think the X-1 has been a big hit for Luna. So, it could be concentrating on that and Covid impacting supply chains, but it could be something larger. They actually did have an Apex run recently, and have talked about another Apex run coming (see https://electricbike.com/forum/foru...ions-answered-summer-2020?p=118249#post118249 ) for instance.

Hydra looks very interesting, and the customization that WW gives is unparalleled, so if I were buying today I'd probably be leaning towards the Hydra, but I'd be concerned about the 39 tooth front chainring combined with the 11-42 rear. Here's a comparison:

Hydra:
Hydra.png

Apollo:
Apollo.png

For 30 MPH you need 98 cranks/minute on the Hydra versus 79 on the Apollo.
The low-end isn't that different at 62 versus 66.

Going to 29ers would help some. I don't know the effective cogs of the Kindernay, which also depends on what tooth rear cog is used.

It doesn't look like there's much room to increase the size of the front chainring without hitting the rear swingarm - maybe a 42T would work. I'd want to fit the SRAM 10-50 GX on the Hydra (not a stock option) at the very least.

Back