Evelo Omega vs Zen Photon Pro for next E Bike

Last edited:
I went to your URL and did the math. When yo do an apples to apple comparison to a standard chain drive systen, you come out with about 450%. That is fantastic! My mountain bike has a 10/50 gear ratio and that comes out to 500%. But 50 on your granny gear is almost too slow to control going up a steep hill. With the power of the Zen Photon Ultra motor and the Rohloff you could almost climb a tree! 😀

These 2 bikes are on my short list and am wondering if any tall riders out there have purchased either one? I’m 6-3 and having trouble finding a step through with good fit and frame geometry for taller riders. I rode a Velotric Discovery 1 today, thinking maybe the new updated Discovery 2 might be a prospect, but the bike felt cramped to me. I’m not finding many class 2 step through bikes with multiple frame size options with optimized geometry for taller riders.

when I purchased my ZEN, they were very careful about size. I thought I was a good candidate for the large at 5’9”, but ended up with the medium. You might give them a call If you are serious.

when I purchased my ZEN, they were very careful about size. I thought I was a good candidate for the large at 5’9”, but ended up with the medium. You might give them a call If you are serious.

Thanks, and I do intend to do that. I made an initial email inquiry and was told it would fit my height, but learning “fit” can mean a lot of different things. I’m leaning toward the Zen in the vs Omega option, but having my local bike dealer investigate further too. He has provided Everlo bikes for customers and had positive comments on general, but did immediately notice the brake spec on the two bikes and was not a fan of the Zoom used on the Omega vs the Zen choice. This is my first e-bike, so relying on him and help here on the forum to make a good choice for my needs.

I just looked at the geometry dimension specs for the Photon and all are identical for M and L except for the frame height—that doesn’t seem to really be two different frame “sizes”. What am I missing here other than larger maximum seat height on the large size? The other geometry is the same on both sizes.

Recognize that I am nit a ZEN expert, but I think th main difference is based on leg or inseam length. The seat and handlebar locations are tune able. I have bought and built maybe 30 bikes over the years and it seems thatbevery one of them needed tweaking. I am already planning on changing the ZEN when I get it because I tend to measure my rides in hours and 10s of miles and at my age comfort is king.

I just looked at the geometry dimension specs for the Photon and all are identical for M and L except for the frame height—that doesn’t seem to really be two different frame “sizes”. What am I missing here other than larger maximum seat height on the large size? The other geometry is the same on both sizes.
In that case, I'd prefer the larger frame size. Keeping the seat closer to the frame makes hopping on and off the saddle easier.

...and was not a fan of the Zoom used on the Omega vs the Zen choice.
As an Omega owner, I can report that the Zoom brakes are indeed spongy, unfortunately. It has not been a problem for me particularly, but I might replace them before it becomes a problem. It's my only complaint about the mighty Omega. I really like the specs on the Zen Photon though.

In that case, I'd prefer the larger frame size. Keeping the seat closer to the frame makes hopping on and off the saddle easier.

As an Omega owner, I can report that the Zoom brakes are indeed spongy, unfortunately. It has not been a problem for me particularly, but I might replace them before it becomes a problem. It's my only complaint about the mighty Omega. I really like the specs on the Zen Photon though.
Have you tried a lever bleed?
She's a tool... But cute enough to watch and get the jist of what to do. 🙃

Recognize that I am nit a ZEN expert, but I think th main difference is based on leg or inseam length. The seat and handlebar locations are tune able. I have bought and built maybe 30 bikes over the years and it seems thatbevery one of them needed tweaking. I am already planning on changing the ZEN when I get it because I tend to measure my rides in hours and 10s of miles and at my age comfort is king.

Zen has advised me that the 19” frame size Photon will “fit” me, the seat and handlebar adjustment ability giving some tweaking options as you note. Since an XL 21” frame step through class 2 does not seem to exist, Photon looks like my best option in a 19” frame. The other alternative is to find a 21” step over frame with a low step over height, but those are not very common in class 2—most of the ones I’ve come across are class 1/3.

I’m 100% on the same wavelength on “measure my rides in hours and 10s of miles”—I’m an old geezer too. When checking out some e-bikes, I wondered what it would be like having not been on any bike in 55+ years…I figured it out and didn’t fall…at least for the few parking lot loops done…

I really want a step through, but might consider the Zen Samurai in a larger XL frame if it had class 2 throttle only capability.

I concur.
TIME/miles as I have nothing to prove and the extent of enjoyment is priority one.

While I am waiting for my Photon, I dug out of the barn my old converted Salsa. I built a great touring bike a number of years ago and when I got tired of bike camping I bought a Bayfang conversion kit and turned it into an e-bike. After riding it everyday for about a week, I am really looking forward to the step through! Even though it snowed again last night, I can’t wait to get my hands on the new bike.

Thanks to all the input on this and another forum I am down to two very similar and excellent choices, I think. The prices are very similar. The Photon Pro has a better hub and a good front fork and a single long distant battery. The Omega has two batteries giving a bit more distance and the automatiq shifter. The Omega comes with a 4 year warranty while the Photon comes with a lifetime frame, 1 year electronics and 2 year battery warranty. I am really interested in any inputs from folks that are familiar with either of these bikes and any experiences in after purchase support.
The walk assist on the omega is dangerous. When you engage it it takes off at 10 MPH. Really can't be used to go up a ramp to a bike rack or trailer.

The walk assist on the omega is dangerous. When you engage it it takes off at 10 MPH. Really can't be used to go up a ramp to a bike rack or trailer.
The only time I tried Walk mode is when I first assembled the Omega, and it almost "walked" the bike and I through a wall. I haven't tried Walk mode on an e-bike yet that I found useful. It would come in handy on one of these hefty step-thru frames though. They are, at best, clumsy to carry. I have a few steps into my home and a very gradual or incremental "walk" or "step-up" mode would be helpful.

On another note, I did not spot a photo of the Photon display on the Zen website. I'm curious to see how it compares with the Omega.

I am still waiting for my Photon Ultra, while I was told by sales when I purchased it that I would receive it mid May that date is now moving towards June. I agree tat the walk mode is critical. it is especially useful when loading heavy bikes on the rack. The ebikes like the omega and photon are pretty heavy and a ramp becomes a necessity and walk mode makes it a lot easier to load.

I am still waiting for my Photon Ultra, while I was told by sales when I purchased it that I would receive it mid May that date is now moving towards June. I agree tat the walk mode is critical. it is especially useful when loading heavy bikes on the rack. The ebikes like the omega and photon are pretty heavy and a ramp becomes a necessity and walk mode makes it a lot easier to load.

Walk mode on the Ultra is very useful. I use it every day to get up the big step to my basement

Back