Luna Crusher 3 or Evelo Delta

Hello!

I'm looking to get a Bafang mid drive mountain bike. Don't really care all that much about rear suspension as I'll likely just be cruising around on trails, but I do have more money than sense :) Budget if you really need one is around 6k.

I'm wondering if you folks have any other recommendations or preferences? I'm specifically looking for a BBS02, BBSHD, or Bafang Ultra Max powered bike. No fat tires (plus are fine) and I'd prefer an internally geared hub, but that isn't a necessity.

Thanks!

Bafang Ultra Max will give you a much better pedal assist mode if that is important to you.

Hello!

I'm looking to get a Bafang mid drive mountain bike. Don't really care all that much about rear suspension as I'll likely just be cruising around on trails, but I do have more money than sense :) Budget if you really need one is around 6k.

I'm wondering if you folks have any other recommendations or preferences? I'm specifically looking for a BBS02, BBSHD, or Bafang Ultra Max powered bike. No fat tires (plus are fine) and I'd prefer an internally geared hub, but that isn't a necessity.

Thanks!

I really suggest you test it before making the purchase. Every Bafang ultra max I tested at Interbike were very jerky. Power is nothing without control!

I really suggest you test it before making the purchase. Every Bafang ultra max I tested at Interbike were very jerky. Power is nothing without control!
You gotta figure any demo unit at Interbike is going to be as finely tuned as possible, so Ravi’s statement speaks volumes.

You gotta figure any demo unit at Interbike is going to be as finely tuned as possible, so Ravi’s statement speaks volumes.

Unlike BBS-HD which is end-user programmable, the Ultra Max is factory-tunable only! (at least for now).
The Ultra Max surfaces in 2016 and I thought there were going to iron out the kinks for 2017 but none of them felt refined. They sure do have 3 times the power of Bosch.

Hello!

Thanks!

I happened to chat with Erik Hicks of Luna for a brief moment and interestingly, he pointed out the exact same thing.
For Luna, he they have their own custom programming and I hope it is little more refined.
Having a heavy Nuvinci or Rohlhoff increases the suspended weight in the rear wheel. You hardly see IGH for mountain biking. If you prefer to go with Bafang and Gates drive, Lectric cycles had an interesting combo. You should check them out.

Interesting! Thanks for this, may take that off my wants list then as it seems like the BBS02 and BBSHD have more or less had their kinks ironed out.

96EB79F2-F387-4386-8252-F2E35AB18EF6.jpeg
I have had my Evelo Delta almost two weeks, the quality and the workmanship is excellent, my top speed so far is 33mph, I love the nuvinchi cvt.

I did customize by adding a dropper seatpost, swept back handlebars and a rear rack.

I am happy to answer any questions, I highly recommend!

BBS02 based: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
BBSHD based: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
BBSMAX based: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
BBS Ultra based: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Several customization options too!

Thanks for the links, but fat tire bikes are a hard no for me.

Probably going with the Evelo later this week though!

We could always swap the fat tires for a 27.5x2.8 plus size tire! Several customers have done that.

Looks like this:
FB_IMG_1507214262255.jpg

Done :)

IMG_2462.JPG

This is more or less how it currently sits as I use it for commuting to work. I swapped the 180mm Tektros to Shimano RT86 203mm and 180mm front and rears respectively (just a personal preference, had the same rotors on my Sondors). Then I threw on some Schwalbe Marathons, Planet Bike fenders, an Ibera rack, some Ergon grips, and an Ergon SC4M saddle. The bike already had a kickstand when I picked it up which was nice!

It's actually quite muddy right now though as I took the commuting stuff off and used the original Nobby Nics to ride my old dirtbike track at my dad's house. Now that was insanely fun.

Oh, and @roshan, I may or may not have talked my dad into one of your new Juggernauts with the Bafang Ultra. He's set on a fat bike, so we'll all keep our fingers crossed :D

Done :)

View attachment 18986

This is more or less how it currently sits as I use it for commuting to work. I swapped the 180mm Tektros to Shimano RT86 203mm and 180mm front and rears respectively (just a personal preference, had the same rotors on my Sondors). Then I threw on some Schwalbe Marathons, Planet Bike fenders, an Ibera rack, some Ergon grips, and an Ergon SC4M saddle. The bike already had a kickstand when I picked it up which was nice!

It's actually quite muddy right now though as I took the commuting stuff off and used the original Nobby Nics to ride my old dirtbike track at my dad's house. Now that was insanely fun.

Oh, and @roshan, I may or may not have talked my dad into one of your new Juggernauts with the Bafang Ultra. He's set on a fat bike, so we'll all keep our fingers crossed :D

I have a Juggernaut Ultra and love it. Don't listen to the naysayers that say it's jerky. Pre-production might have been but not production bikes.

I have a Juggernaut Ultra and love it. Don't listen to the naysayers that say it's jerky. Pre-production might have been but not production bikes.

That's good to hear! My dad's quite settled on a fat bike with a throttle, and the Juggernaut looks to be the one to get!

That's good to hear! My dad's quite settled on a fat bike with a throttle, and the Juggernaut looks to be the one to get!

It has so much power , he might find out that he really doesn't need the throttle. Even at assist one, it takes right off.

It has so much power , he might find out that he really doesn't need the throttle. Even at assist one, it takes right off.

Haha that's what I told him. Torque sensor and the power the Bafang Ultra has will likely be more than enough for him. Fingers crossed for Christmas!

Back