Advice/Options for newbie appreciated

rjames2022

Region
USA
Hello all, looking to purchase an off-road ebike for hunting and would appreciate any info/opinions to make a better decision. I am 6'1" 220# and a relatively inexperienced rider at 59 yoa, my only bike currently is a pedal bike, a specialized hardrock that requires serious effort to propel me up hills with what seems to be limited gearing, I always seem to end up pushing it on hills and wasting effort.. I would like an ebike that has the torque, tires, gearing, and trailer pulling ability to get me up and down some muddy, steep, semi-washed out fire roads with and without a trailer. I dont need any real speed and really only see myself riding dirt or gravel roads with occasional use in 1-3 inches of snow if that is possible.

My longest jaunts might involve 7-9 miles of flat/downhill on the way in but after hunting on foot all day I will need to be able to do 7-9 miles of uphill (very steep in some areas) on the way out and am hoping for a bike that can do that uphill primarily throttle only with limited pedal assistance from me. I could see utilizing a walking mode if thats what it took to get a loaded trailer up the mountain on my way out. I plan on watching videos and consulting experienced personnel like yourselves to learn maintenance and adjustment and perform it myself.

My wish list is for a bike relatively quiet, good hill climbing torque, weight and towing capacity and I plan on fenders, good headlight, racks, and somewhat puncture proof tires. And hopefully a good value :) I am looking at ebikes with the Bafang Ultra or the Bafang BBSHD primarily but would appreciate opinions. No real local dealership options for test rides or support.

Bikes that are currently on the list with Ultra are: Rise RX, M2S Ultra FS M620, or Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra FS Pro. Ultra motor cons seem to be the current lack of programmability and rookie usage leading to drive train issues.

Bikes that are currently on the list with BBSHD are: Luna KHS 500 (if available), Wildtan M-5600, and maybe some Rambo models.

I am willing to gamble somewhat on a relatively inexpensive unbranded chinese vendor purchase if anyone has pertinent experience with a specific ebike. Many seem to have al the name brand components.

Questions are: As a newbie do I need a torque sensor? Do I need a gear sensor? What is the optimal tire size, type, and brand? (options seem to run from 2.3-4.5" for offroad). Is there a specific shifting/ gearing system I should be looking at? What ebike would you recommend for my usage?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be willing to share. James

I had not. Is riding with a system like this any more difficult than a single drive system? Any cons you know of? Thanks

I don't think you NEED torque sensing, and the Ultra motors are NOT considered quiet by most owners (like me). My vote would be for a BBSHD as they have about the same power as an Ultra, they're quiet, and the lack of torque sensing would be no big deal for your application.

As far as downside to 2wd, I'm thinking weight.....

Yes, it seems the more I learn about the current Ultra's the more I think the BBSHD is a better fit for me. So my short list might include the Wildtan m-5600, the Luna KH S 500, and the Rambo 750w XPC11 with the Wildtan claiming the most watt hours at 840 and the lowest price and highest stated capacity at 350#. It is a big bike with a standover height of 34", 2 inches taller than my Specialized Hardrock. Any thoughts on this ebike? Thanks

Yes, it seems the more I learn about the current Ultra's the more I think the BBSHD is a better fit for me. So my short list might include the Wildtan m-5600, the Luna KH S 500, and the Rambo 750w XPC11 with the Wildtan claiming the most watt hours at 840 and the lowest price and highest stated capacity at 350#. It is a big bike with a standover height of 34", 2 inches taller than my Specialized Hardrock. Any thoughts on this ebike? Thanks
I would just share the fatties really are BIG bikes. Everything about them! Their primary claim to fame is flotation over surfaces like sugar sand, snow and the like. Otherwise they have a big clunky feel to them (IMHO of course).

Tires in the 2.3 - 2.8" range are much more popular when talking off road.

Thanks for the video Timpo. I suppose it does make sense in that it is the equivalent of 4 wheel drive in a pickup but like a pickup the right tires are going to make a significant difference in slick or muddy conditions. AHicks, I dont think I will mind a tank like feel as much as long as I get the traction and torque i am hoping for. Tires in the 2.8-3" do interest me if they get the traction and have less rolling resistance and overall less weight and bulk than the 4" that seem popular for the fatties. I am hoping for someone to chime in with real world experience in steep slick surfaces with different tire sizes. The manufacturers seem to tout the fatties as being more stable and forgiving and if that is the case I might want to stick with 4". Thanks for the responses so far from you both, hoping to get my buying decision right the first time if possible. James

Checkout if fat bikes will support trailers you are interested in.
For steep terrain 500- 750W middrive with 10 or 11 spd derailleur and 11-46t cassette makes for serious climber.

James if you hunting turkeys , ducks and small deer. Yes a hunting ebike will get it done. Timpo recommend ebikes for hunting are good for that. It be nice to see towing weight for those hunting ebikes.
I would get a Polaris hunting ATV.
Something like that might have a tendency to break a budget that's thinking bike (blow it to smithereens?), but that would be my preference as well.... especially when the need for a trailer comes up.

Too old and lazy to try something like that while trying to keep my balance on a bike.

Thanks to all for the info/opinions so far. TrevorB, that is a good idea I will see if any manufacturers will commit to tow weights and I really appreciate the specific gear info. Rome, yes I do hunt small deer:) our blacktail usually top out around 200# but figuring approx 70# of boned out meat I could use the bikes help even if it is walking alongside while the bike carries the load. Polaris would be great but does blow my budget away. Keep any thoughts coming I am definitely learning from this discussion.

Questions are: As a newbie do I need a torque sensor?

I have owned both cadence and torque sensor bikes and I would never buy another one without torque sensing.

I have owned both cadence and torque sensor bikes and I would never buy another one without torque sensing.
Good point, but in all fairness, subject to endless debate. Many torque sensing bikes do not come/cannot be equipped with a throttle. I would never buy a bike that didn't have a throttle. 😁

There ARE a few bikes that have both torque sensing AND a throttle, but for the OP's application, my priority would be throttle......

For mtbing on tight technical trails torque sensing is must. Lugging heavy loads up and down forestry roads cheaper cadence should be fine.

Good article on hunting bikes.

In regards to broken chains on middrive bike. A chainbreak tool and spare links should be part of you tool kit for any backcountry riding.

If you budget stretches to $5k look at UBCO electric motor bike.

Good article on hunting bikes.

In regards to broken chains on middrive bike. A chainbreak tool and spare links should be part of you tool kit for any backcountry riding.

If you budget stretches to $5k look at UBCO electric motor bike.
Just a thought here-
5k budget also puts you into the used ATV/ORV market. I had them for many years. The last one I sold was about that, was garage kept, only had a couple thousand miles on it. It was a 2011(?) 500 Polaris Sportsman "touring" model which gives you the long wheelbase and XP suspension for outstanding handling/ride. Cool part of that machine is it had a switch that allowed 1 wheel, 2 wheel, or 4 wheel drive. The one wheel made it pretty unique as it allowed you to drive it around on your lawn without tearing up any grass. Most have a solid rear axle, which is guaranteed to tear up your grass any time you turn it.

I'd jump on the FLX deal and get the Blade 2.0 at cost. Not the quietest of motors but you get a belt drive with Rohloff IGH which is going to be low maintenance. While not a fat tire bike the tires are going to be fine for off road. I'd confirm with FLX that you're getting the UART version of the motor (not the newer CANBUS which can't be programmed). Insane deal posted here:

Back