Looking at Full Suspension Class3+ EMTB for Commuting and Trail Riding

Hornetraider

Region
USA
Hello everyone. I have been browsing through this community for a good bit and wanted to see if some of the members could help me with some questions.

I am looking at purchasing a full suspension class3+ mid drive torque sensing MTB to commute to work (roughly 35 miles round trip) during the week and hit some trails on the weekend. I'm currently looking at the Luna Z1 but have some questions about my approach and bike selection.

1. Does anyone else commute on a full suspension emtb? What are your thoughts? My main concern with this route is not being able to carry my gym gear (bag roughly 20lbs for change of clothes, lunch for the day, etc.) I understand the full suspension gives up cargo capacity, but the suspension is not something I'd want to sacrifice, as the route I've mapped out to get to work involves some off roading and lots of curb hopping.

2. How serviceable/reliable are these turn key mountain bikes? I was originally interested in building my own (with no previous experience), but the turn key/sleek/stealth looking eMTB's are very appealing to me. I'm willing to fork out more coin (budget of $4k-$6k) for a good turn key bike, but I don't want to have to buy a new bike every year. I want to buy a quality serviceable bike my first go around and repair as I go along. What are your real world results from going this route?

3. I have a sedan (2012 g37) and want to install a hitch and a bike rack on the back of it. I went to REI this weekend and was told that none of their hitch mounted racks would be able to support 2 eMTB's. What do you all use and what do you like?

4. Given my criteria above, are there any other bikes that I should be considering that may be more reputable or reliable than Luna? I'm a little weary of moving forward with Luna given the customer service complaints I've been reading about, but the bike itself seems fairly serviceable, which makes me overlook customer service concerns (for the most part). I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I spent 5 years building and maintaining a racecar. I admittedly have no bicycle wrenching experience, but feel that I could pick it up fairly quickly.

Thanks for reading and look forward to seeing your responses.

Reactions: Stu
" Powerfly FS 9 EQ is a full suspension electric mountain bike that’s built for singletrack sessions and rugged commutes.
You get high-end parts, a powerful drive system, and a rad suspension setup for tackling rougher trails.
And, it comes with utility-focused features for daily riding, like fenders, lights, and a rear rack. " Trek Bikes
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...werfly-fs-9-equipped/p/35175/?colorCode=black

PowerflyFS9EQ_22_35175_A_Primary

I don't know what trails you are looking at riding, but note that most dirt trails designed for mountainbiking are class 1 only (if electrics are allowed at all). Definitely check the legality of what you have locally before making a purchase.

Most emtbs designed for trail use are class 1 because thats where the regulatory landscape has landed and is generally the max allowed on trails. To answer your questions:

1. Does anyone else commute on a full suspension emtb? What are your thoughts? My main concern with this route is not being able to carry my gym gear (bag roughly 20lbs for change of clothes, lunch for the day, etc.) I understand the full suspension gives up cargo capacity, but the suspension is not something I'd want to sacrifice, as the route I've mapped out to get to work involves some off roading and lots of curb hopping.

I own one (YT Decoy) and have ridden it around town, but honestly I don't find mountainbikes all that fun to ride on pavement. It has the battery and speed to be a commuter if I really wanted to use it that way I suppose.

A better option might be something in the e-gravel world. I ride mine off road all the time. Unless your off-road is really gnarly, I'm not sure full-squish is really as necessary as you think.

2. How serviceable/reliable are these turn key mountain bikes? I was originally interested in building my own (with no previous experience), but the turn key/sleek/stealth looking eMTB's are very appealing to me. I'm willing to fork out more coin (budget of $4k-$6k) for a good turn key bike, but I don't want to have to buy a new bike every year. I want to buy a quality serviceable bike my first go around and repair as I go along. What are your real world results from going this route?

As serviceable as any other integrated ebike. The bike parts tend to be standard and easily serviced. The electrical parts are generally not. I'd try and get the bike from someone with a good rep for service to handle things if the motor or controller die.

My emtb (Shimano motor) is still going strong after a few years. Most of them seem pretty reliable.

3. I have a sedan (2012 g37) and want to install a hitch and a bike rack on the back of it. I went to REI this weekend and was told that none of their hitch mounted racks would be able to support 2 eMTB's. What do you all use and what do you like?

I run a 1up super duty on a 2" hitch. Not sure how strong an aftermarket hitch will be on a sedan, but the 1up is available in a 1.25" hitch option and will definitely take any weight bike you care to put on it.

Hello everyone. I have been browsing through this community for a good bit and wanted to see if some of the members could help me with some questions.

I am looking at purchasing a full suspension class3+ mid drive torque sensing MTB to commute to work (roughly 35 miles round trip) during the week and hit some trails on the weekend. I'm currently looking at the Luna Z1 but have some questions about my approach and bike selection.

4. Given my criteria above, are there any other bikes that I should be considering that may be more reputable or reliable than Luna? I'm a little weary of moving forward with Luna given the customer service complaints I've been reading about, but the bike itself seems fairly serviceable, which makes me overlook customer service concerns (for the most part). I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I spent 5 years building and maintaining a racecar. I admittedly have no bicycle wrenching experience, but feel that I could pick it up fairly quickly.

Thanks for reading and look forward to seeing your responses.
You're commute sounds like the one I had for years. 34 mile round trip with 75% off road on dirt/gravel trails. I chose a hardtail eMTB with Kinekt seat post suspension. That way I preserved the ability to use a touring rack for panniers and bag. I needed the carrying capacity and I don't like to ride with a backpack for many reasons. I also retained the ability to carry a water bottle, where FS sometimes doesn't.

The dirt/gravel trails (rural rail trail) really didn't offer the opportunity for high speed. Mud, snow, loose surface and the trail crossed the slippery tracks in 7 places along the way. Commuting I did ride faster than normal, 18 mph felt fast off road.

Possibly a hardtail would offer a broader selection. Best of luck!

You're commute sounds like the one I had for years. 34 mile round trip with 75% off road on dirt/gravel trails. I chose a hardtail eMTB with Kinekt seat post suspension. That way I preserved the ability to use a touring rack for panniers and bag. I needed the carrying capacity and I don't like to ride with a backpack for many reasons. I also retained the ability to carry a water bottle, where FS sometimes doesn't.

The dirt/gravel trails (rural rail trail) really didn't offer the opportunity for high speed. Mud, snow, loose surface and the trail crossed the slippery tracks in 7 places along the way. Commuting I did ride faster than normal, 18 mph felt fast off road.

Possibly a hardtail would offer a broader selection. Best of luck!
This is an interesting best of both worlds compromise. Mind sharing your setup that you used for your commutes back then?

Love riding my Watt Wagons Hydra on the roads, so comfortable and fun keeping speeds over 20mph no matter the incline/ surface. If you go fs route I would suggest a rear shock that you can stiffen/relax on the fly as needed. The Manitou Mara I have on my bike is just about perfect for this.

This is an interesting best of both worlds compromise. Mind sharing your setup that you used for your commutes back then?

It's a BH, no longer sold in the US. The 29'er rolls really well over gravel and smaller trail imperfections. Rolls fast and easy compared to my old 26'er. Rockshox air fork, Shimano XT drivetrain, Kinekt seat post suspension and Brooks B17 saddle.

With a 29'er you have access to all the accessories offered to 700c bikes and MTB. Added a good touring rack, 2 sets/sizes panniers, trunk bag and SKS MTB fenders. Big bike holds big bags. Rack comes off in minutes. To me a hardtail 29'er is a great platform for a tourer, gravel bike or commuter.

For that commute I'd be looking at class 3 bike with belt and IGH otherwise you will be spending lot of time and money maintaining drivetrain. 500wh may just do it but with capacity drop over time you would be better off with 600-700wh battery. Buying 2nd battery and swapping halfway is option but now you have 2 batteries to charge at work and home.

A Reise Mueller Super Delite would do everything but for money you could probably buy good HT commuter plus decent FS eMTB ideally with interchangeable batteries. If not riding a lot consider quality used FS for MTBing.

1) I commute on a hardtail most days and a FS emtb once a week when a few of us hit the trails after work. I'd always reach for the hardtail over the mtb - it's just better decked out for commuting with a rack for the pannier, fenders for rain, mirror for traffic and bell. The geometry is a lot more comfortable to ride distance than the emtb, which is set up for descending with wide clean bars, a low dropper and little else.

There's no reason you couldn't set a FS bike up for commuting. You can buy rear racks that bolt on to the seat stays with a 10kg capacity (nothing worse than commuting with a backpack). Fenders can be sought too so you don't arrive at work splattered with mud or water. It's just not going to shred any trails in that configuration, but from the sounds of it you're just riding gravel tracks rather than technical trails.

2) Consumables are consumables (chain, cassette, tyres) but there's just more bolts and pivot points to go over on a FS bike. Just note MTB tyres wear quick - mine cost about AU$100 each and get about 1200km - and are complete overkill for tarmac and gravel. My commuter gravel tyres last five times that and cost less. I ride 1.5" on gravel and 2.5" on single track.

3) I have a Rockymounts Splitrail LS. Takes two ebikes 27kg each and can expand to carry four bikes down the track if you have a growing and riding family squished in the back of your G37. Just took it on a 2000km trip with no issues. Very easy to mount the bike to, versatile folding options to tuck it out of the way when not in use and relatively light to dehitch compared to the competition. Gets my thumbs up.

4) Hardtail and suspension seat post is a good call. More class 3 options and arguably better suited for gravel commuting. What stores or brands do you have access to locally?

Last edited:
Back