Loose Motor on Como 2.0 UPDATE: Cracked Frame (Vados too)

The Vado SL's and Creo's have this feature. Supposedly it's only about 3 watts drag with motor off and it is not noticeable. I keep the motor off except for the steeper hills. The hardest part is starting out without assist until you forget it's not on. On the other hand the assist is much lower than the Vado's.
Thanks Allan. Vado SL EQ looks super cool. Half assist but also almost half the weight, of Vado 3, I could probably live with that...

I've asked- they said not. No cross country transfer allowed/ possible.
So down to two options;
-complete new bike
- new frame and old components
Taking into account disadvantages, if I take a new bike and decide that it's not for me, it will be easier to sell than old components on new frame- what do you think guys? I asked if they could change firmware so this works as 1.2 but the answer was no.
How likely do you think am I to be allowed to keep my old battery as well, if I go for the bike they proposing? If I end up with two batteries it's an additional incentive for me to take a replacement...
Cheers,

How many miles on the cracked frame components and what condition?

I wonder what they do with the cracked frame bike if you do a complete trade? Can't be worth much to a company of that size, if anything.

How many miles on the cracked frame components and what condition?

I wonder what they do with the cracked frame bike if you do a complete trade? Can't be worth much to a company of that size, if anything.
Dispose.
When I had my BLOKS system being replaced with TCD-W under warranty (which included headlight, tail-light, rack, etc), I was told I won't be able to get any of those old objects back, as they needed to be properly disposed of (so not re-used).

I've asked- they said not. No cross country transfer allowed/ possible.
So down to two options;
-complete new bike
- new frame and old components
Taking into account disadvantages, if I take a new bike and decide that it's not for me, it will be easier to sell than old components on new frame- what do you think guys? I asked if they could change firmware so this works as 1.2 but the answer was no.
How likely do you think am I to be allowed to keep my old battery as well, if I go for the bike they proposing? If I end up with two batteries it's an additional incentive for me to take a replacement...
Cheers,
If I were in your position, I would decidedly accept the new frame with your existing components.

No chance you could keep the old battery. You will be requested to return it, or no deal.

If I were in your position, I would decidedly accept the new frame with your existing components.

No chance you could keep the old battery. You will be requested to return it, or no deal.
I'm not sure. Bike has covered several thousands of miles and although it's maintained regularly all these miles equal wear.
And on top, if I take a new bike, I'd assume that it's fully covered by the warranty and if they do the swap, the only remaining warranty will be the frame.
Ps. Broken bike is Vado 3.0 not 4.0.

Semi final update.
I've accepted 2021 Vado 3.0 as replacement. Have not decided yet whether to bother with asking them to swap the motor yet- pros cancel out cons, so I'll probably keep it in stock config and if it turns out to be much worse, I'll flog it and buy something else...
Thanks to all for input and kind words. Special thanks to Stefan- Dziękuję bardzo :)
Specialized advised it's going to take about 6 weeks, which is annoying as weather is perfect, hopefully it will be worth the wait.
Cheers :)

Lack of update :(

It's been a month and a half since I left my bike @conceptstore. I'm trying to be patient but this is really bugging me now- I can see they do have couple of bikes "in stock" and I told them I do not care about the colour of the darn thing, so why is this taking so long? Anyone knows how this procedure works exactly? Surely there has to be a time limit.
If anyone is happy to share how long they had to wait would be great. Also at this point I'd be more than happy just to get the £££ and buy a bike elsewhere.
Moan over, for now...

Further lack of update...

OK, at this point this is going ot be a wee moan. Last email from LBS received on 21April, stating that bike "should" be ready around 20th may. I sent them a nice email a week ago asking "are we there yet?" kind of questions- no response, just wall of silence. I'll send them another one later on today, but as you may imagine I'm more than unhappy and beginning to regret not buying another bike just to get through this patch, as travel cost for the period without the bike pilled up to over £500 to date...

Lack of update :(

It's been a month and a half since I left my bike @conceptstore. I'm trying to be patient but this is really bugging me now- I can see they do have couple of bikes "in stock" and I told them I do not care about the colour of the darn thing, so why is this taking so long? Anyone knows how this procedure works exactly? Surely there has to be a time limit.
If anyone is happy to share how long they had to wait would be great. Also at this point I'd be more than happy just to get the £££ and buy a bike elsewhere.
Moan over, for now...
I just received my replacement Vado 3.0 after a cracked frame from October last year. I turned the bike over to the LBS midway through the month of October for a loose motor hub. They reported a cracked frame and Specialized would warranty the bike. They told me they would get a frame from Specialized and rebuild the bike with my existing components. That seemed reasonable to me so I said go for it. In November they called and said it looks like this would take a while. At about New Years, another update said it was taking longer and that there was not a Vado frame in the States. We talked abut colors of replacement bike frames and even upgrading to a 4 or 5 bike. frame and I would pay the difference in upgrade costs. I learned that the frame is the same for all of the Vado bikes but the components get better with more money. As I was interested in the frame and there were none available I waited. They did offer a Como as a replacement which I declined. Well, after 8 months the LBS said the bike was ready and to come in for pickup. So I picked up the new 2021 model Vado 3.0 a day ago.

So it took a while. I feel the company, Specialized, is a reputable company. And the LBS was also a reputable company. Both wanted to provide a good product and to provide a good service. During my 8 month wait, I had a choice of being nasty to the LBS and demanding I get immediate service or I would leave and never support them again. Or I could go back and analyze why I bought such an expensive bike from them. I decided that I bought my bike from a good store and a good manufacturer. There was simply no bikes available until recently. I did feel that I "got even" because I "made" them store my bike in their shop for 8 months. And I did get monthly updates from the LBS which meant they were thinking about it. So I waited all winter for a replacement. Now I live in the deserts of Arizona. Winter is the best time to ride. Soon the temperatures will be well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit (45 to 50 degrees centigrade) and not a good time to ride. These temperatures are tough on the battery, the lubricants and the human body. In other words, bad luck for me to get a bike at the beginning of the no ride season.

I am sorry to provide this potentially bad news of how long did I wait but I did deal with a good LBS and a good manufacturer. They did not give up nor did I. In fact I have a new bike and I only needed a frame. So I think everyone got a deal.

I just received my replacement Vado 3.0 after a cracked frame from October last year. I turned the bike over to the LBS midway through the month of October for a loose motor hub. They reported a cracked frame and Specialized would warranty the bike. They told me they would get a frame from Specialized and rebuild the bike with my existing components. That seemed reasonable to me so I said go for it. In November they called and said it looks like this would take a while. At about New Years, another update said it was taking longer and that there was not a Vado frame in the States. We talked abut colors of replacement bike frames and even upgrading to a 4 or 5 bike. frame and I would pay the difference in upgrade costs. I learned that the frame is the same for all of the Vado bikes but the components get better with more money. As I was interested in the frame and there were none available I waited. They did offer a Como as a replacement which I declined. Well, after 8 months the LBS said the bike was ready and to come in for pickup. So I picked up the new 2021 model Vado 3.0 a day ago.

So it took a while. I feel the company, Specialized, is a reputable company. And the LBS was also a reputable company. Both wanted to provide a good product and to provide a good service. During my 8 month wait, I had a choice of being nasty to the LBS and demanding I get immediate service or I would leave and never support them again. Or I could go back and analyze why I bought such an expensive bike from them. I decided that I bought my bike from a good store and a good manufacturer. There was simply no bikes available until recently. I did feel that I "got even" because I "made" them store my bike in their shop for 8 months. And I did get monthly updates from the LBS which meant they were thinking about it. So I waited all winter for a replacement. Now I live in the deserts of Arizona. Winter is the best time to ride. Soon the temperatures will be well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit (45 to 50 degrees centigrade) and not a good time to ride. These temperatures are tough on the battery, the lubricants and the human body. In other words, bad luck for me to get a bike at the beginning of the no ride season.

I am sorry to provide this potentially bad news of how long did I wait but I did deal with a good LBS and a good manufacturer. They did not give up nor did I. In fact I have a new bike and I only needed a frame. So I think everyone got a deal.
Good that you got treated right in the long run.👍

Thanks for sharing AZ- unbelievable they made you wait 8 months. Great that they eventually sorted you out.

I've got a hilarious update from my LBS, you just couldn't write the script. So, they said, that due to shortage of aluminium, factory has no materials to manufacture replacement bike/ frame for me. I kid you not- that is it.

I'm having a very civilized dialogue with the shop, (apparently chap who dealt with my case to begin with is no longer on the books) but I'm also looking into legal options- the consumer law in the UK is a bit different than in the US- with more protection and focus at the customer- so, in theory they should have sorted out the replacement in 30 days, which hasn't happened and each month without a bike costs me around £300 due to high commuting costs. I suggested a refund or store credit but not heard back yet- depending on what they say, if they decline both options I'll ask for a courtesy bike, so at least I'm not wasting money, time and not putting on weight (to my shock and horror since I stopped cycling I put on 7kg's :( )

Most annoying part is that these bikes are available and in stock in local specialized shops, so why am I supposed to wait for someone somewhere to smelt some aluminium?? Doesn't make any sense whatsoever...

TBC...

And check out and like Stefan’s You Tube video on removing and reinstalling the battery!
I have a post on fixing the Vado battery insertion problems. There are different sized shims that control how easy/difficult it is to insert the battery. Each bike is different because of manufacturing tolerances. Problem is there are not enough sizes of the shims to suit every bike. I ended up grinding down my shim to make a perfect fit. The battery now goes in with 2 fingers pressure and it never falls out while riding.

Attachments

• 7B6EBCAE-1B3C-4DB4-AA20-2E09FE683966.jpeg
    7B6EBCAE-1B3C-4DB4-AA20-2E09FE683966.jpeg
    420.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 519D3CB6-0BC5-4D5E-A4D8-081F0C40DD9C.jpeg
    519D3CB6-0BC5-4D5E-A4D8-081F0C40DD9C.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 191
Back