Loose Motor on Como 2.0 UPDATE: Cracked Frame (Vados too)

Finally, it came home...

Just a quick one to wrap this up- I've picked up a replacement Vado 3.0 just couple of hours ago.

First impressions. Not really impressed. With this bike.

I'm sure most people can tell just by looking/ touching two identical products which one is inferior- Vado 2021 if inferior in so far every way to the old 2019 model.

I only had enough time to do a test mile, it works but you can feel that motor helps less. And cheap components feel and look, well, cheap...

Full totally personal review to come 😂

I'll try this for a month, we'll see how it goes.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20210711_141909.jpg
    20210711_141909.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 198
Bummer. I am sorry to hear you are not happy, but I do understand. I purposely looked for a 2019 model because of the down-tuning of the motor, the reduction from 10 to 9 speeds, and the lower quality brakes. :(

Bummer. I am sorry to hear you are not happy, but I do understand. I purposely looked for a 2019 model because of the down-tuning of the motor, the reduction from 10 to 9 speeds, and the lower quality brakes. :(
OK, maybe I exaggerated a bit- frame is exactly the same as 2019 (lets hope without manufacturing flaw this time)- but components feel/ look cheap- from grab handles to lights- I was gutted when I realized that the funky light bar on a rear rack was replaced with an LED mounted on a rear fender that looks cheap and nasty. same for front light, position is all wrong but I've not ben out at night on this yet.

OK, I was bit wary with 9 gears instead of 10, but in all honesty, I may have used 10th maybe twice in the time I've owned the bike, so will not miss it much. Chainreaction store accepted return of spare gear I've purchased for the previous bike, so I'll just buy what fits this one.

I did just over 30 miles today, mostly in turbo mode and it used up pretty much exactly the same amount of battery as the previous vado would have at 50% setting, so this torque and power decrease that was meant to save battery does sweet jack...

Not sure what to think about quick release front wheel- kind of handy when you need to put the bike in the car, but boy oh boy- this hardly fits a hatchback.

Specialized have offered the option to swap all gear from my frame to the new frame which I eventually declined, on the basis that if I decide to sell the thing because I don't like it, then it will be easier to sell as a whole new bike with 2 years warranty (Kudos to Specialized for actually taking this on the chin), rather than bits from here and there and everywhere.

I'm not even going to say much about the colour- it was meant to be Storm grey, which my kids picked and I didn't mind, so bit of a surprise when this was revealed.

I did ask if it would be possible for me to keep the old battery pack but it wasn't- I was allowed to keep few other bits that will come in handy as spares tho.

All in all it worked out great- brand new bike for an old and well worn one. If I was more patient, they would have given me Vado 4.0 or 5.0 but the estimated wait would be another 6 months plus- just not feasible for me.

About to order this planet3 gear and take the bike for a proper spin- this one cuts out at around 17mph and no support from there onwards. I don't need to be able to do 45mph, but a normal steady pace is around 20 give or take few. On an analogue bike I easily do 25mph on flat so, eh, ok, this is for another discussion entirely.

Stats from the maiden journey attached. Also attaching stats from the same journey on an old analogue bike- main difference is way less sweat on Vado

Thanks all for support.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210712-090841_Zeopoxa Cycling (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20210712-090841_Zeopoxa Cycling (1).jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Screenshot_20200922-065848_Zeopoxa Cycling.jpg
    Screenshot_20200922-065848_Zeopoxa Cycling.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 169
The older display was a disgrace.
Poor quality and no support for command Control app but the map was nice-ish, well, if memory serves- it broke within first few months... and it had a usb charging point which was nice. not sure why Specialized did away with that0 it would be really useful to have...

Poor quality and no support for command Control app but the map was nice-ish, well, if memory serves- it broke within first few months... and it had a usb charging point which was nice. not sure why Specialized did away with that0 it would be really useful to have...
The BLOKS was a disaster for me from the day one. Before I learned resetting it after a hang-up (using the smallest hex wrench), I had to return home on my leg power for 15 km upwind... The TCD-w gave my Vado a new life, with full connectivity to smartphone, GPS computer, sports wearables and so on. I agree with you Specialized gradually downgrade Vados. So much lucky I am to own the 2017 Vado 5.0 with 2020 electronics...

P.S. That might be unclear to you. The 45 km/h Vado 5.0 could not be ridden without operating display!

Back