Loose Motor on Como 2.0 UPDATE: Cracked Frame (Vados too)

I think the LBS is doing what they can, but I am frustrated with Specialized response. I’d like a low entry 5.0 (paying the difference) but I’ll settle for a low entry 3.0. I need it in small.
I’m thinking of going into the LBS tomorrow with a box of donuts or a pack of beer. I’d like to generate some goodwill.

A little gift goes a long way! Not that you should have to bribe folks but it's a very nice gesture and can mean quite a lot to an already stressed staff, I'm sure you can relate.

Hopefully they have something in stock, everything low entry is sold out in Como product. There are some Vado's left in the 2020 3.0 low entry though.

Newest update: I got an email today from Specialized RiderCare stating they had responded to the LBS and to give them a call. Long story short, Specialized is very low on inventory but they gave me a lot of options. I've decided to go with a small Como 5.0 step-over which will be shipped to the LBS and I hope to pick up before next weekend. They offered me the full value of my 2.0 (I paid $2,850 US in 2018) on any Como that is available in stock, so I could have paid $100 for a 3.0 or $500 for a 4.0 (I probably could have argued that I shouldn't have to pay $100 to "upgrade" to a 3.0 since there are no 2.0s in stock - but I really had my eye on the 5.0 so that issue was mute). I ride mostly in skirts and I was concerned that the step-over would get in the way of my typical commuter wardrobe. I went for a test ride on a (size med/large) step-over and the skirt won't be an issue. My hip sometimes feels wonky in the winter, so I may end up regretting my decision on cold days, but we'll see. Overall I'm happy and very grateful I was given a lot of options. Knowing that a bike is on the way relieves the stress of not knowing. Fingers crossed it's smooth sailing from here.

One other note - I had been saving up for a non-electric bike and that money will now be going to the 5.0 upgrade. It's a bummer that I have a sudden, unexpected expense, but I love riding those Comos so much that I think I'll be happy with the two extra gears, upgraded brakes, and bigger battery. Perhaps I'll get a non-electric next year.

Final note - when I went to the LBS to test ride the step-over I brought two packs of good, local beer to thank them. I apologized for being a pest and promised I wouldn't call everyday to see if the new bike has arrived yet.

Newest update: I got an email today from Specialized RiderCare stating they had responded to the LBS and to give them a call. Long story short, Specialized is very low on inventory but they gave me a lot of options. I've decided to go with a small Como 5.0 step-over which will be shipped to the LBS and I hope to pick up before next weekend. They offered me the full value of my 2.0 (I paid $2,850 US in 2018) on any Como that is available in stock, so I could have paid $100 for a 3.0 or $500 for a 4.0 (I probably could have argued that I shouldn't have to pay $100 to "upgrade" to a 3.0 since there are no 2.0s in stock - but I really had my eye on the 5.0 so that issue was mute). I ride mostly in skirts and I was concerned that the step-over would get in the way of my typical commuter wardrobe. I went for a test ride on a (size med/large) step-over and the skirt won't be an issue. My hip sometimes feels wonky in the winter, so I may end up regretting my decision on cold days, but we'll see. Overall I'm happy and very grateful I was given a lot of options. Knowing that a bike is on the way relieves the stress of not knowing. Fingers crossed it's smooth sailing from here.

One other note - I had been saving up for a non-electric bike and that money will now be going to the 5.0 upgrade. It's a bummer that I have a sudden, unexpected expense, but I love riding those Comos so much that I think I'll be happy with the two extra gears, upgraded brakes, and bigger battery. Perhaps I'll get a non-electric next year.

Final note - when I went to the LBS to test ride the step-over I brought two packs of good, local beer to thank them. I apologized for being a pest and promised I wouldn't call everyday to see if the new bike has arrived yet.

Sounds awesome Molly! It's hard to have patience when your bike breaks and the weather is perfect. And in your case you didn't do anything wrong!

You're going to LOVE the 5.0! Don't forget the 1.3 motor is super powerful and it's a class 3 bike!

Sounds awesome Molly! It's hard to have patience when your bike breaks and the weather is perfect. And in your case you didn't do anything wrong!

You're going to LOVE the 5.0! Don't forget the 1.3 motor is super powerful and it's a class 3 bike!
Yeah, I'm excited about the 5.0. I keep my assistance set relatively low so there's no chance I'm going to max out my speed unless I'm being chased by werewolves. I don't think class 3 are legal on the trail that I ride, but because I crawl along at 13-15 mph I don't think I'll have any troubles. I often ride with a gopro so maybe I'll need to record my mixed use trail rides, too, in case there's ever a liability issue I can show I wasn't going too fast or behaving recklessly.

Most of our potential cracked frames have been dealt with out of our shop, and Specialized came through in a very timely, positive way. We still have a few Vados, Comos and Levos in stock, only because the market around our area is really catching onto
the ebike fever and we booked big-time numbers for this year. But they are going out the door at a steady pace particularly now that the 50+ adults seem a little more comfortable to come out and shop. We have a lot of rail-trails and such in our area, and for the most part people seem respectful with distancing, etc.
Like you Brendon, I am on a 2020 Vado 5.0...absolutely love it. modified it with 27.5 all DT Swiss hand built wheels (we do a lot of various custom wheel builds) and Schwalbe Moto X tires. Glad I started that project last fall as parts are completely unavailable for now to build this wheel set.
Stay safe and enjoy the ride.

Most of our potential cracked frames have been dealt with out of our shop, and Specialized came through in a very timely, positive way. We still have a few Vados, Comos and Levos in stock, only because the market around our area is really catching onto
the ebike fever and we booked big-time numbers for this year. But they are going out the door at a steady pace particularly now that the 50+ adults seem a little more comfortable to come out and shop. We have a lot of rail-trails and such in our area, and for the most part people seem respectful with distancing, etc.
Like you Brendon, I am on a 2020 Vado 5.0...absolutely love it. modified it with 27.5 all DT Swiss hand built wheels (we do a lot of various custom wheel builds) and Schwalbe Moto X tires. Glad I started that project last fall as parts are completely unavailable for now to build this wheel set.
Stay safe and enjoy the ride.

Interesting you went with the 27.5 wheels, probably a pretty big tire to give it more of a "moto" feel. I went with DT 350 hubs and Velocity Aileron in 700c for a little spice.

Yeah, I'm excited about the 5.0. I keep my assistance set relatively low so there's no chance I'm going to max out my speed unless I'm being chased by werewolves.
Occasionally, I'm chased by dogs in the countryside. I switch to Turbo in such cases, and no dog was able to outrun me yet ;) It is always good to have the Turbo mode set to the default 100/100 because you never know when you'll really need to escape from any dire situation :)

I'm glad your case has been resolved to your satisfaction!

Congrats! 😉

This is very perplexing. Specialized is supposed to be a a premium manufacturer. They appear to be handling the problem with replacements pretty well, especially considering the Covid based supply chain restraints. But, something is going on with either their quality control or a more serious materials problem.

Please keep us posted.

The step Thru for Women was made when they wore Dresses and skirts : Before slacks were allowed : I remember when My Mother first got a Pair of what they called pedal Pushers : Pants that stopped around the ankles : I see several women Riding what I call Mens Bikes : So long as you are limber enough It's all what you get used to. Plus you can lean the bike over some to get your leg swung over : And IMO Just Personally : I think a Step over frame lends something to the looks that a step thru takes away ; You will do just great Best of Luck and good riding :

I think the LBS is doing what they can, but I am frustrated with Specialized response. I’d like a low entry 5.0 (paying the difference) but I’ll settle for a low entry 3.0. I need it in small.
I’m thinking of going into the LBS tomorrow with a box of donuts or a pack of beer. I’d like to generate some goodwill.
Generating some goodwill is an excellent thought. Especially if you mention how much you liked the product prior to this. Probably coffee and donuts gives you the most bang for your buck. Hoping it works out well for you and your LBS.

My name is Paul Simkins. I am new to this website. I have a VADO 1.0 that I have been riding for about 16 months. (about 3000 miles) I have had the display replaced, and now the frame is cracked. The dealer I bought it from says Specialized is reviewing the issue and probably will replace the bike with a VADO 3.0, however, no bikes in stock.

My name is Paul Simkins. I am new to this website. I have a VADO 1.0 that I have been riding for about 16 months. (about 3000 miles) I have had the display replaced, and now the frame is cracked. The dealer I bought it from says Specialized is reviewing the issue and probably will replace the bike with a VADO 3.0, however, no bikes in stock.
I am sorry to hear that, Paul. Out of curiosity, what year is your VADO?

I am not sure, but I am guessing 2018, purchased Spring 2019. Women's Medium, but I am a old male.
Thanks, I am trying to determine if all the cracked frames were from the same year. So far, I think they were all 2018 bikes. So far, even though the design is the same, my replacement COMO 3.0 is fine. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope you get a bike soon...

My name is Paul Simkins. I am new to this website. I have a VADO 1.0 that I have been riding for about 16 months. (about 3000 miles)

I have had the display replaced, and now the frame is cracked. The dealer I bought it from says Specialized is reviewing the issue and probably will replace the bike with a VADO 3.0, however, no bikes in stock.

Paul, welcome to EBR.

Sorry to hear about your cracked frame... ask for an upgrade if you have to wait for a replacement Vado. :)

Thanks, I am trying to determine if all the cracked frames were from the same year. So far, I think they were all 2018 bikes. So far, even though the design is the same, my replacement COMO 3.0 is fine.

No, they weren't all 2018 bikes. See my #40. 2017 and one 2019 as well.
As you're saying, construction hasn't changed after 2018. But MY19 and 20 has lesser mileage yet.

I think the reason for the cracking frame, always close to the motor, is a poor construction at that point in combination with loosely mounted motor screws esp. 2018. Specialized quality control seems to have the latter point improved from some time in 2019 onwards.

But it seems to be wise to check your motor screws (18 Nm) regularly by yourself (or your LBS) regardless of MY.

Hello all,

So I'm not alone in this. Last few days my Turbo Vado 3.0 (Made in Taiwan in March 2017, bought in the UK in 2019) begun to fell bit odd- checked the chain and replaced it as it was worn. Ride felt even stranger, so I ordered new cassette (not gonna bother replacing right now). This morning it felt really odd and when peddling, crank was wobbling and there was noticeable play and associated noise. Got to work and started looking for problems- found this forum, looked at few photos and decided to inspect the motor mounts- this was a bit of a shock- exactly same spot as some of you pointed out- broken/ cracked.
I got in touch with Specialized Service and we got the ball rolling. They will inspect the bike once I've dropped it off and advise.
I've read this thread once, not sure if anyone in the UK has had this issue and how it was dealt with by Specialized, I'll continue to share my story here until resolved one way or the other. I understand that some of you had bikes replaced, great, but I just love my Vado. I looks amazing, super comfy, so hopefully they will come up with, well, don't know what to expect at this point.
Main problem now is that they already advised me that currently warranty claims take 2-4 weeks- how will I get around without the bike for that long?
I'd urge anyone with one of this bikes to keep an eye on the play in the crank/ bottom bracket area and periodically check under the bottom cover. You might find something unpleasant just like I and few others did but hopefully all will be fine.
I'm not worried at this point, the whole thing is under warranty, it's just a bit disappointing that it failed so early, maybe 5k miles of road riding, most in medium assist on flat roads.
This is not a rant, but a thank you to you guys for mentioning this- couldn't find anything anywhere else.
Cheers,
Will

Attachments

• 20210323_115431.jpg
    20210323_115431.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 259
Hello all,

So I'm not alone in this. Last few days my Turbo Vado 3.0 (Made in Taiwan in March 2017, bought in the UK in 2019) begun to fell bit odd- checked the chain and replaced it as it was worn. Ride felt even stranger, so I ordered new cassette (not gonna bother replacing right now). This morning it felt really odd and when peddling, crank was wobbling and there was noticeable play and associated noise. Got to work and started looking for problems- found this forum, looked at few photos and decided to inspect the motor mounts- this was a bit of a shock- exactly same spot as some of you pointed out- broken/ cracked.
I got in touch with Specialized Service and we got the ball rolling. They will inspect the bike once I've dropped it off and advise.
I've read this thread once, not sure if anyone in the UK has had this issue and how it was dealt with by Specialized, I'll continue to share my story here until resolved one way or the other. I understand that some of you had bikes replaced, great, but I just love my Vado. I looks amazing, super comfy, so hopefully they will come up with, well, don't know what to expect at this point.
Main problem now is that they already advised me that currently warranty claims take 2-4 weeks- how will I get around without the bike for that long?
I'd urge anyone with one of this bikes to keep an eye on the play in the crank/ bottom bracket area and periodically check under the bottom cover. You might find something unpleasant just like I and few others did but hopefully all will be fine.
I'm not worried at this point, the whole thing is under warranty, it's just a bit disappointing that it failed so early, maybe 5k miles of road riding, most in medium assist on flat roads.
This is not a rant, but a thank you to you guys for mentioning this- couldn't find anything anywhere else.
Cheers,
Will
So sorry to hear that this is happening. In my case, I got a new bike. A 2020 Como 3. So far, with over 3000 miles on it, it's doing fine. Specialized guarantees their frames for life, so hopefully you will get exactly what you want to remedy the issue. Please keep the thread posted.

So sorry to hear that this is happening. In my case, I got a new bike. A 2020 Como 3. So far, with over 3000 miles on it, it's doing fine. Specialized guarantees their frames for life, so hopefully you will get exactly what you want to remedy the issue. Please keep the thread posted.
Thanks. Great to hear your case has been resolved. My main problem will be size- my Vado is XL (was really hard to find), I'm 6.4" and anything smaller is like riding something fit for a circus clown...
I also have few replacement parts for my Vado (usual consumables) , recently changed tires for the amazing Schwalbe Marathon Plus E-bike, so would like something with at leas same groupset/ wheels.
Time will tell.

Back