Loose Motor on Como 2.0 UPDATE: Cracked Frame (Vados too)

The worst part are my Vado 3.0 2017 have better components than the new Vado 3.0 2020, like: fork (15mm thru-axle vs 9mm), cassete (11-42t 10v versus 9v 11-36t), rear derailleur (deore shadow plus 10v vs alivio 9v), brakes (Shimano vs Tekro). I'm in conversation with my LBS to keep those components on the new bike. What do you think about that?.
I got a Vado 5 for the Vado 4 (2017). First they offered me the Vado 4, but after I told about de downgraded components on the new Vado 4 they offered the Vado 5. Very happy with this deal :)

I got a Vado 5 for the Vado 4 (2017).
First they offered me the Vado 4, but after I told about de downgraded components on the new Vado 4 they offered the Vado 5. Very happy with this deal :)

Sounds like a good trade... has Specialized redesigned the frame at the motor mounts?

Ive just had the motor covers off my 2017 Vado 3 to carry out a deep clean, to discover the bottom motor mount is cracked.
No evidence of creaking but a strange feeling through the crank when I stopped peddling, which has been occurring on and of for the last 2-300 miles. Nothing major enough to make me investigate sooner.
I bought the bike second hand with 300 miles on it so I doubt the lifetime frame warranty will be upheld by Specialized or my LBS as I'm not the original owner.
Looks like a job for a frame repairer.

Attachments

• IMG_20200310_162413.jpg
    IMG_20200310_162413.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 404
Ive just had the motor covers off my 2017 Vado 3 to carry out a deep clean, to discover the bottom motor mount is cracked.
No evidence of creaking but a strange feeling through the crank when I stopped peddling, which has been occurring on and of for the last 2-300 miles. Nothing major enough to make me investigate sooner.

I bought the bike second hand with 300 miles on it so I doubt the lifetime frame warranty will be upheld by Specialized or my LBS as I'm not the original owner.
Looks like a job for a frame repairer.
Sorry to see another cracked frame. I would check with Specialized first to see if they will consider a good-will repair.

If not, a custom frame builder may be able to weld in a reinforcing brace... it will require a frame jig and good skills. ;)

1583891704756.png

1583981068050.png

Last edited:
"I would check with Specialized first to see if they will consider a good-will repair."

My last LBS were extremely unhelpful as soon as they found out I wasn't the original purchaser. It was as if I'd rocked up with a Trek and asked them to fix it under warranty.
I've moved house since, so I might just give them a try, they sure can't be any worse.
Sorry to see another cracked frame. I would check with Specialized first to see if they will consider a good-will repair.

If not, a custom frame builder may be able to weld in a reinforcing brace... it will require a frame jig and good skills. ;)

Ive just removed the motor to get a better idea of what is required to repair the frame.
The nut adjacent to the fracture was finger tight and the other two were about finger tight plus 1/4 turn.
It would appear Specialized need to get a grip with their torque settings, especially the motor mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_20200311_141220.jpg
    IMG_20200311_141220.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 359
Well, I am glad to see it is not just me. I bought my Como 3 in April 2019 and noticed a problem within three months. Turned out to be cracked frame near the motor. No crashes but, I am at the top end of the weight limit and ride a lot! At least 20+ miles daily and more on weekends.

My LBS worked with Specialized sent a new bike. Another 2019 but, this one had the headlight down by the tire and my last one had it higher up. I ended up having a problem wear it wouldn’t go past 20 miles an hour and after working with my LBS Specialized send the new block and I could now use Mission Control App too (I couldn’t before). Both 2109 bikes were the black ones.

Well, I didn’t ride much from September through February. I started again and noticed the slight wobble in my crank area AGAIN! Cracked frame.

The good news... Specialized is now sending me a new 2020 Como 4! No more 2019’s. Hopefully, the 2020 doesn’t have the same problem. I truly “babied” the second bike as much as possible. The funny thing is, when I bought the first one, I didn’t like the black but... it grew on me. However, I have seen the 2020 Charcoal/Black/Chrome and I think I like it too. I just want it to last!! It’s such a fun bike to ride ride!

Attachments

• 343FDF96-F1A7-4ABB-A8EC-37EEAC93672C.jpeg
    343FDF96-F1A7-4ABB-A8EC-37EEAC93672C.jpeg
    708.6 KB · Views: 372
Well, I am glad to see it is not just me. I bought my Como 3 in April 2019 and noticed a problem within three months. Turned out to be cracked frame near the motor. No crashes but, I am at the top end of the weight limit and ride a lot! At least 20+ miles daily and more on weekends.

My LBS worked with Specialized sent a new bike. Another 2019 but, this one had the headlight down by the tire and my last one had it higher up. I ended up having a problem wear it wouldn’t go past 20 miles an hour and after working with my LBS Specialized send the new block and I could now use Mission Control App too (I couldn’t before). Both 2109 bikes were the black ones.

Well, I didn’t ride much from September through February. I started again and noticed the slight wobble in my crank area AGAIN! Cracked frame.

The good news... Specialized is now sending me a new 2020 Como 4! No more 2019’s. Hopefully, the 2020 doesn’t have the same problem. I truly “babied” the second bike as much as possible. The funny thing is, when I bought the first one, I didn’t like the black but... it grew on me. However, I have seen the 2020 Charcoal/Black/Chrome and I think I like it too. I just want it to last!! It’s such a fun bike to ride ride!
Wow-- two in a row, what a shame. But kudos to Specialized for stepping up and taking care of their customers. I got my 2019 Vado 2.0 replaced with a 2020 Vado 3.0, and, so far, zero issues. Good luck with your new bike.

Wow-- two in a row, what a shame. But kudos to Specialized for stepping up and taking care of their customers. I got my 2019 Vado 2.0 replaced with a 2020 Vado 3.0, and, so far, zero issues. Good luck with your new bike.

I am truly hoping 3rd time is a charm!

Well, I've just had an email back from Specialized advising they will replace my bike with a 2020 Vado 3, FOC as a sign of goodwill.
I was totally gobsmacked considering it was bought by me second hand and the warranty had expired.
Good on Specialized, I say, what a fantastic result.
Wow. That is truly awesome. What a great company! Enjoy your new bike.

Turbo Como 2.0 2018 bought new December 2019. Had same problem as posted here felt crank arms had excessive movement and started hearing cranking sound and started researching this site. The pictures people posted were excellent and I put my bike on the stand flipped it over and saw the same issue. The LBS I bought my bike from recently went out of business so I am working with another authorized dealer and hoping for the same resolution I have seen on this site. I've had the bike about 7 month's now and use it as my primary transportation to work and absolutely love it 2500 miles. Its funny how just last week I had given some serious thought on upgrading to a 4.0 but with this as a common problem I am curious if specialized has corrected the issue. Now I am at the mercy of customer service so I guess I'll wait and see. I do have a specialized sirrus x I also ride alot and absolutely love that. Just hoping specialized makes it right. I will keep you in formed. Attached is a photo of the crack.

Attachments

• 20200719_135355.jpg
    20200719_135355.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 357
Turbo Como 2.0 2018 bought new December 2019. Had same problem as posted here felt crank arms had excessive movement and started hearing cranking sound and started researching this site. The pictures people posted were excellent and I put my bike on the stand flipped it over and saw the same issue. The LBS I bought my bike from recently went out of business so I am working with another authorized dealer and hoping for the same resolution I have seen on this site. I've had the bike about 7 month's now and use it as my primary transportation to work and absolutely love it 2500 miles. Its funny how just last week I had given some serious thought on upgrading to a 4.0 but with this as a common problem I am curious if specialized has corrected the issue. Now I am at the mercy of customer service so I guess I'll wait and see. I do have a specialized sirrus x I also ride alot and absolutely love that. Just hoping specialized makes it right. I will keep you in formed. Attached is a photo of the crack.
I am sorry this has happened. Hopefully you will get a good resolution. And thank you for that photo - I wasn't aware it could be seen without disassembling cover! Makes it very easy to check!

Last edited:

This appears to be the same area that cracked on frames that owners previously reported on EBR.

I wonder if newer frames have been redesigned with more material in this motor mount stress area?

1595281293562.png

Have not heard of Specialized not taking care of the cracked frame issue. Even for 2nd owners. Not a frame issue if motor mount bolts were torqued to spec from the factory. Unfortunately seems a large batch of bikes were shipped with wrong torque settings.
Bottom line is Specialized seems to have made good with customers.

Have not heard of Specialized not taking care of the cracked frame issue. Even for 2nd owners.
Not a frame issue if motor mount bolts were torqued to spec from the factory.
Unfortunately seems a large batch of bikes were shipped with wrong torque settings.
Bottom line is Specialized seems to have made good with customers.

Good to hear that Specialized will help... do they replace the entire frame?

Broke a second bike and again at around 1500 km. So that's 2 bike in a single year... This bike was actually a loaner Como 2.0 (2018) that I got brand new in November 2019 while I wait for proper replacement Como 4.0
The frame is not completely separated yet but i guess its just a matter of time. This is super upsetting because I know my new bike will break too... Como and Vado are not for serious commuter and that pretty obvious. And its such a waste...

IMG_20200728_084300.jpg

Back