Longest rides

Ravi: Your high mileage runs and records are an inspiration for anyone aspiring to go that extra mile. The thing about bicycling and setting out to go beyond the homestead under human pedal power is that the challenge and accomplishment are equally satisfying if you happen to be a first timer just starting out on a tour of the local neighborhood; or a bit further, like the epic rides you have done. They all leave the bicyclist with a deep feeling of satisfaction; something that makes one want to go further and further, the next time out.

There is a stretch or two in my local, daily 20 mile run where I can hold a steady 19.5 mph on the Full FatSix. This can go on for a good 4 or 5 miles. I cannot imagine what it must be like to have averaged almost 24 mph in a near 240 mile day. Wow. I mean, I know what it feels like when I am up to full steam. But to do what you did, in that kind of elevation? That was quite a run!

I just got a Hobson seat. It's one of the ones that is made in two pieces. I don't think it works for everyone, but it is certainly better for me. The main problem with bike seats is that I can't tell right away if something will work for me. It can take some time to adjust to something new and figure out what works better.

@ebikemom: If you like the Hobson, you'll love the Spiderflex

9301c5d1982bdcc7d905c83376e8165e.jpg
https://www.spiderflex.com/

Due to circulation problems, I can't use a regular bike seat and have to use the split design. I used the Hobson for several years with great results. I was about to replace it after the covering and padding wore out when I discovered the Spiderflex. It's quite a bit more expensive but built to last with quality materials. It also has a built in shock absorber which improves comfort considerably.

As you say, what works for some won't for all so trial & error is the only way to go.

@Timan did you take the San Gabriel River Bike Trail from Azusa to Seal Beach, or the Rio Hondo from El Monte to Long Beach?[/QUOTE

SGRT to seal beach then across to Long Beach and up Rio Hondo to Pico Rivera where I reconnected with the SGRT just north of the PR golf course. Sometimes I take the RH up to peck park and then surface streets to enchanting park just north of the Sante Fe Dam

Out of several 200+ milers I have done, I remember this one the most. The ride happened in Northern Montana and the last 100 miles were extremely beautiful. As I got closer to Glacier National park, I realized how magnificently beautiful this country is. It was a surreal feeling. Exploring national parks on an eBike is a spiritual feeling.
I started the day at 11.30am and ended the day around midnight. consumed four 983whr batteries on the Stromer and covered 238.8 miles at an average speed of 23.4mph. Roughly 60 miles/1000whr at high speeds.
I don't think any other eBike can handle that kind of speed for a long time without severely stressing the drivetrain. When you have long stretches of road with less traffic, the DD hub becomes tremendously efficient and can churn out miles like crazy.

View attachment 32019
Ravi you are an animal! It would be easier to read this if you wrote "the ride happened in Northern Montana and the last 100 miles were extremely PAINFUL"

I just got a Hobson seat. It's one of the ones that is made in two pieces. I don't think it works for everyone, but it is certainly better for me. The main problem with bike seats is that I can't tell right away if something will work for me. It can take some time to adjust to something new and figure out what works better.
I had one of those seats but I got rid of it....you can't use your thighs to help control the bike at all. It was kinder to my Prostate gland though.

Out of several 200+ milers I have done, I remember this one the most. The ride happened in Northern Montana and the last 100 miles were extremely beautiful. As I got closer to Glacier National park, I realized how magnificently beautiful this country is. It was a surreal feeling. Exploring national parks on an eBike is a spiritual feeling.
I started the day at 11.30am and ended the day around midnight. consumed four 983whr batteries on the Stromer and covered 238.8 miles at an average speed of 23.4mph. Roughly 60 miles/1000whr at high speeds.
I don't think any other eBike can handle that kind of speed for a long time without severely stressing the drivetrain. When you have long stretches of road with less traffic, the DD hub becomes tremendously efficient and can churn out miles like crazy.

View attachment 32019
Amazing effort there, some going to cover that distance in 10 hours! 59F is an ideal temp for a long ride!

My longest ride was over 5 hrs i was real unlucky with 6 flats.
OK, sorry for that bad joke.
I am new to Ebike but i am used to 4-5 hrs rides because without a car i ride to the trails and back.
Personally i choose to use a 500Wh battery to limit the weight.
Any tip is welcome. Sofar a person suggested i stay about 90 RPM.
I have a 2017 Yamaha system.
I guess with 12 miles to the trails than back i could probably do 48 miles.

The mileage some manage to get from a 400 or 500Wh battery is remarkable. Is the Yamaha motor the key to it?
I understand that parts of these distances are done without motor assist but still...
My longest ride was about 55-56 miles on a Specialized Vado 4.0 with a 500Wh battery . Eco mode. I had some power to spare but don’t know exactly as there were only 5 bars to show battery level. No numbers. I was down on last bar but don’t remember if I did more than 5-6 miles on that last bar. Maybe I had power for another 5-6 miles.
The top bar of the five always gave me a few more kms than the following. Is that because voltage is higher in a fully charged battery?

Last September (2018) did my annual Pacific coast San Francisco to Mission Viejo trip on Giant Road-E. 5 days, total 550 miles.
Carried spare battery - 500 WH. Will do again this July (2019). May never do it again with normal bike, the E-Bike is so much more enjoyable. 3 of the 5 days did not need to switch to second battery. I'm convinced that if this rig had a 650-700 Wh battery instead of 500, no need for second battery. Of course recharge each night.

Side note; This is the Yamaha system. I routinely achieve 80-90 miles from 1 500 wh battery. The bike has 3 settings, eco, normal and Power. I ride 98% of time in eco, 2% in normal and never need to use the power setting.

Last September (2018) did my annual Pacific coast San Francisco to Mission Viejo trip on Giant Road-E. 5 days, total 550 miles.
Carried spare battery - 500 WH. Will do again this July (2019). May never do it again with normal bike, the E-Bike is so much more enjoyable. 3 of the 5 days did not need to switch to second battery. I'm convinced that if this rig had a 650-700 Wh battery instead of 500, no need for second battery. Of course recharge each night.

Side note; This is the Yamaha system. I routinely achieve 80-90 miles from 1 500 wh battery. The bike has 3 settings, eco, normal and Power. I ride 98% of time in eco, 2% in normal and never need to use the power setting.
If you pedal hard you can get great mileage. Now who has gone the farthest or climbed the highest without turning the bike on at all ? And perhaps more importantly ....why?

Hello I rode 81.26 miles yesterday from the mountains in sunny California to the ocean and back while in eco mode the whole time and 48% battery life left. 250 watt mid drive with. 36v 13.8 Ah battery. 2018 giant Toughroad e+ gx
You have NO idea how happy that makes this brand new owner of a Toughroad E+ gx :)

My longest ride was a century (100 miles) ridden before covid on the Tour de Whatcom here locally. 2 x 500w batteries riding a Riese & Muller Delite Mountain mostly in Eco or Tour assist level.

My best month was July 2019. The weather was awsome, allowing me to ride all but one day that month. 1,422 miles ridden in 30 days (average daily mileage was 47.4).

My biggest challenge will be to maintain my 25k 1,000 cal per day burn....50lb bike, eco mode i'm guessing..and pedal harder lol
#discipline ...I'm getting old and lazy...maybe... *sigh* As it is, my HR rarely gets above 130, and tops out...briefly @ 155..the max for a 67 year old male, so we shall see. I know I know, don't be "E-lazy" ...but it's there...it wants me...noooooo

longest was on our tandem 50 miles. but I rode so much every day it is limited. them sot in a week was 255 miles. that was about 40 miles a day. I did over 9000 miles in a year and the best month was 975 miles. I rather ride every day then ride long rides less often.

longest was on our tandem 50 miles. but I rode so much every day it is limited. them sot in a week was 255 miles. that was about 40 miles a day. I did over 9000 miles in a year. I rather ride every day then ride long rides less often.
I ride everyday too but not as often as you do, Steve! :)

Back