Long term reliability?

kloxxe

How is the long term reliability (after some years/couple of thousand miles, when warranty is over) of the Rad bikes? Is there any concern beyond normal wear&tear and regular maintenance (spokes tension, adjustments, etc..)?

I saw some reports here about electronics problems (error messages and even some bikes take off by themselves) - are these the exceptions?

I have two 2016 Radrovers with around 3500 miles each (RadCity Step-Thru with under 200 miles). I use the rovers mostly for work commuting and occasional trial riding. Still ebike commute all year after 2 1/2 years at 50-75 miles per week depending on the weather. The majority the issue I've had was during the 1 year warranty period:

Covered by warranty:
- replaced two controllers on white rover (30 and 25 error codes)
- replaced one controller on black rover (ebike would randomly shut off during a ride)
- replaced one battery pack that wasn't charging
- replaced pedal crank that was damage during shipment (couldn't tighten down and would fall off during riding)

Replaced/upgraded:
- wider BC MTB pedals
- Bodyfloat v2 420mm seatpost with Cloud-9 seat
- Topeak Uni Fat tire rack+Topeak MTX DXP 22.6L bag
- Vee8 120tpi 26X4 tires (dumped the bald Kenda at 1000 miles and Vee8 are still good after +2500 miles with about 25%-30% tread left)
- 0-60 degree adjustable handlebar stem (broke Rad stem when I wiped out on a muddy trail, reduced my numb hands on long rides)
- TRP Spyke brakes with Jagwire brake cables (needed better emergency stopping power and less brake noise work commuting at +20 mph)
- disconnected both headlights and replaced with Niterider Pro 3600 (needed blinking for daytime commuting and more light for night commuting/trail riding)
- replaced the entire rear tire and hub motor in 2017 on white rad rover. The rover started out clicking and then the chain felt like it was jumping when riding like when you change gears. Eventually, the chain would spin forward/backwards and wouldn't engage the gears. Unable to loosen the gear pack with the Rad tool to fix and just purchased another rear wheel+hub motor to get back on the road ASAP

Another issue I've noticed is the rover with the original hub motor is down on power as shown on the LCD display. It use to show around 370-375 watts in PAS 3 and now it is around 340-345 watts. It also shows around the same drop in PAS 4 and PAS 5 max power is around 740 watts. Still more than enough power to for my daily commute.

I'm was only expecting the rovers to last 2 to 2 1/2 years max before replacing. I might be looking at 3 1/2 to 4 years of riding before I need to think about upgrading.

@mrgold35 , Did you have all of the warranty work done at a local bike shop? How did you find a shop to do it? How efficiently were you able to get things fixed? Did Rad cover both parts and labor directly, or did you have to send them receipts and get reimbursed?

@mrgold35 , Did you have all of the warranty work done at a local bike shop? How did you find a shop to do it? How efficiently were you able to get things fixed? Did Rad cover both parts and labor directly, or did you have to send them receipts and get reimbursed?

All the troubleshooting and replacement of parts was done by myself. I stared out with next to zero experience working on bikes (last time I had a bike was my 1st year in college in 1984). It was basically me emailing Rad to say "my pedal fell off" or "30 maintain error", they requested a picture or video, and a replacement came a few days later. I was a little intimidated about replacing the controller; but, the unit is "plug-n-play" and no way to mix up the connectors. The only issue I've had was I stripped the Phillips head for the screw securing the controller to the frame. Dremel tool to cut the screw and down to Home Depot for a replacement.

What I like about the Rad Power Bikes are they are regular bikes with ebike components. Local bike shops shouldn't have any issues working on the Rads. The ebike electronic components are all "plug-n-play" and basic household tools is all you need to replace. The only bike specific tools I have is a spoke tightener and inner tube valve remover.

The great thing I've learned working on my own ebike is I can feel when things get out of adjustment and I can "tweak" as I go. Little things like adjusting PSI, adjusting the brakes, or adjusting the rear derailleur because of cable stretch get easier with time and keeps the ebike in tip-top shape.

Thanks, ouch, that sounds like an awful lot of problem...

My 2016 Rads were an early model update from the original 2015 Rad. My rad had the old PAS programming that had a certain mph cut-off per PAS instead of the "X" watts per PAS up to 20 mph cut-off. You had to be in PAS 5/750 watts to reach 20 mph with the old Rad programming compared now when I can be in PAS 3 to hit the same speed. I haven't had an issue with my Radrovers once I switched to the new controller programming.

The bad battery pack popped the internal 2nd fuse (not the external fuse under the dust cover). I didn't know there was a second fuse and Rad just sent me another battery pack to get me on the road ASAP. I was able to replace the internal .50 cent fuse with the help of folks on this forum and I now have 3 batteries for both rovers.

I also had his and her radrovers before I purchased the Radcity. I would just ride the other one to work if I had a warranty issue.

I think once a larger group of owners are surveyed you won't see anywhere near the issues Mr Gold experienced. The Rads are a pretty straight forward design without a lot of proprietary components. That's the perfect recipe for long term relatively inexpensive riding.

Thanks, I most likely go for the RadMini Step-Thru, mainly because of its portability. I just need to research it as there is no way to see the bike in person, and Rad does not accept returns after opening the boxes.

Hi kloxxe
I do all my own servicing because it is so easy and haven't had anything on my RADs break, burn out, or run away from me. I ask the service department at RPB for info on occasion and they always reply the next day. So what I can say is that RAD Power Bikes for the most part sell themselves. I have three of them and wouldn't give any of them up.
RPB has everything for the recreational rider to delivery services to long range commuting.
The boys in Seattle do an excellent job and have created an excellent line of dependable bikes and have a record of backing their products that most everyone has shown their approval for. They are dedicated to being the best and prove it on a daily basis.

Hi kloxxe:

I am a new owner in an area without other Rad bikes. Rad support has been strong and I have gotten a reply within 24 hours for my questions.

Ken

I use my Radwagon as a daily commuter and have put around 6900 miles on it. The odometer rolls over around 6200+ miles. The bike has been rock solid in terms of electronics and I've ridden through steams that rise very close to my bottom bracket. I also ride in heavy rains, snow, ice, and occasional single digit temperatures days when it comes up. This bike has taken a beating and keeps on going.

The only problem that I've had over 6000 miles was some sounds coming from my rear spokes because they loosen up after carrying people. That was a easy fix. The wheels have stayed true the entire time.

There really isn't that much that can go wrong on these bikes. Your more likely to spend time upgrading the parts then trying to resolve electronic issues.

Back