Limited Edition Aurora

It seems like the sportive hub would be better with their Dapu motor with 100+ Nm but there are probably other factors they think make the trekking one a better choice.

For those who have owned both the fully loaded and the limited edition. Does the torque sensing shut off more smoothly than the cadence sensing? My fully loaded can jerk hard when the motor shuts off and on. Sometime my feet come off the pedal.
I have owned both but don't specifically remember the jerking you mention. Evelo was kind enough to extend my trial period on the AFL due to a number of issues that were mostly beyond their control. Overall I was pleased with the AFL, but because the announcement of ALE and pre-orders began before my AFL trial period ended, I was able to trade the AFL for ALE by paying the price difference. Glad I did as I am absolutely delighted with the ALE.

For those who have owned both the fully loaded and the limited edition. Does the torque sensing shut off more smoothly than the cadence sensing? My fully loaded can jerk hard when the motor shuts off and on. Sometime my feet come off the pedal.
I have the fully loaded Aurora and no jerking ever.

Mini User Review 950 ODO Miles, 8 months ownership

Overall a 5-Star Bicycle. Enjoy more each time I ride.
Helps that ALE has all the 'must have features' in fact did delay buying an e-bike for three years waiting for someone, hopefully Evelo, to build one.

Those must haves:
== mid-drive motor of at least 500W; == belt-drive
== NuVinci (Enviolo) gear set; == in-frame battery
== 2.0 or greater tire width

Would estimate the 950 ODO miles are 70% paved bike path/trail, 20% street bike lanes, 10% gravel, sand, dirt (& dust gets everywhere)

ALE is my first e-bike. Before purchasing ALE was riding a human-pedal power REI, Manual NuVinci, belt-drive, 28x1.4 tires commuter style. ALE is stock except for the purchased when new upgraded seat post and seat option. Evelo also replaced original 26x3.0 tires with 26x2.8 tires. Bike is one of the original 200 unit product introduction build.

On REI had to aftermarket purchase handle bar riser and Cloud-9 seat to get a comfortable riding position. With ALE an even more comfortable riding position was possible within the bike's standard equipment adjustment range.

REI had the NuVinci N360 manual (cable controlled) hub. While no expert on how bicycle gearing is defined believe the N360 is about the same as a 7 or 8 speed derailleur. Evelo has not been clear on which Enviolo hub is installed - - - assume it is one of the newer N380 which might have a slightly wider gearing range. On the ALE really only use the manual mode, beyond playing with automatic mode have never ridden with it. I like being in control and would be happier with a standard cable manual then the more complex (needs power) automatic. Have calibrated the automatic twice and it still does not 'feel' as linear in gearing as the REI N360. Also the automatic version can not be full gear range downshifted at a dead stop (which is possible on the cable style) so have had to retrain myself to downshift before a full stop.

Tires. ALE has city/street tires. With the 26x3.0 tires tire to belt clearance is really small which should not be an issue. Just bugs me. The 26x2.8 might have an extra mm+ of clearance. When tires need replacement will research what's available >2.0 <2.8 with maybe a more aggressive tread. Evelo replaced the tires due to original Innova Tires not being round. Evelo stated Innova was having production issues and no Innova replacement tires were available so they installed a different brand 26x2.8 to correct the out of round issue.

Frame. ALE is first step-though style frame for me. Was not sure if I'd like it . . . really do now. Makes mounting/dismounting so darn easy.

Dapu Motor. 750W of power! Seems to be a good combination with NuVinci/Enviolo hub. After 200 miles or so it did develop an odd noise, something like a metal brush on a slowly rotating drum. Noise comes and goes, is always there at high PAS levels and heavy load (high climbing low gear) situations. One professional e-bike review noted 'ALE has the classic Dapu motor strange sound” so I've assumed that is what I'm hearing.

Maintenance While being capable of most modern life DIY maintenance tasks think professional bike shop help is in the future for at least rear wheel tire service, belt adjustments, etc. It takes a huge amount of pressure to correctly seat the rear axle while getting the correct initial belt tension. Upper body strength and coordination needed is getting beyond my senior years. A life not ALE issue.

Battery Range. Have never ridden it down to dead. Estimate my riding style has a 35-37 mile battery range. I use PAS 1-2 as much as possible but don't hesitate to use 3-4 on hills and 5 on the really big hills.

C800 Display. Functional nothing fancy. I use the password lock and ODO reset features all the time. There is some ODO error, in the 4-5% range depending if you select the 700C or 26 inch tire size set-up option. Mine is running 5% high so the title line 950 ODO miles is more like 902 real-world road miles.

Evelo Support. 100% fantastic. My ALE had a few factory assembly defects; tires, rear wheel alignment, cut wire that was causing shutdowns. All was corrected quickly (am near Seattle office). Have also had intermittent dead throttle issues. Evelo has worked with me providing troubleshooting help, parts for swap out, and even a minor tool needed to complete one swap out. Most recent part change was to replace the Controller. Am confident if that does not finally fix it Evelo will be there to help.
Would you be willing to show what handlebar riser you are using and what was involved to install it? I have pretty long legs and ride with the seat pretty high up which causes me to put more weight on my wrists than I care to.

Regarding my complaint that the AFL was jerking when the PAS went on and off, I have resolved the issue. As my knee injury has been healing, I have been able to peddle with more force, which allows me to keep the momentum past the point where the motor goes on and off. So I have concluded that my problem was that I wasn’t peddling with enough force. With normal peddling, the jerkiness just doesn’t occur. For those owners of the AFL who may have a serious disability that does not allow them to apply much force to the pedals, Evelo can provide a different software installation, that solves the problem by keeping the motor on at low levels constantly when pedaling.

Would you be willing to show what handlebar riser you are using and what was involved to install it?

Was Using a Riser on the human-only-pedal bike, not on eBike.
Sorry, no longer have that bike available for pictures and don't have record of what part/brand was puchased . . . 10+ years ago.

Review needed!
GOPR0190.JPG
GOPR0192.JPG
GOPR0194.JPG

GOPR0195.JPG

2020 ALE

It appears he barely received it Friday it looks like and got it assembled and took pictures. He needs a day or two to ride it lol !!! But I also will be anxious to see his review.

It appears he barely received it Friday it looks like and got it assembled and took pictures. He needs a day or two to ride it lol !!! But I also will be anxious to see his review.

Mine is coming in October. Looking for all the user experience I can gather!

Tire discussion.

My wife and I are interested in purchasing two 2020 Aurora Limited Edition ebikes. We plan on riding at least 50% of the time off-road. Due to our age and physical limitations, we wish to have step-through frames for easier operation.

The Evelo website lists the 2020 ALE factory tire as "Innova 26×2.8". No further information is listed. Here are my questions:

Does this tire have puncture protection?
Is this tire mounted as tubeless or with a tube?
Is this tire suitable for off-road use, such as dirt roads, gravel and light trail?
Can we ask Evelo upon ordering the ALEs for a better off-road tire such as the Schwalbe Super Moto-X with GreenGuard Puncture Protection (such as those mounted on the Delta X model), Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus, etc? Related question: Is there sufficient space under the fenders to accommodate a tire with a knobby tread?

Last edited:
. . . Evelo website lists the 2020 ALE factory tire as "Innova 26×2.8". No further information is listed. Here are my questions:

Does this tire have puncture protection?
Is this tire mounted as tubeless or with a tube?
Is this tire suitable for off-road use, such as dirt roads, gravel and light trail?
Innova # IA2236 is classified as a City Tire. It does not have puncture protection and for year-2019 came with tubes.
Evelo suggested adding a tube seal mix when I asked about puncture protection.

Evelo is very easy to work with, suggest you contact them directly to discuss other tire options.

At 50-miles my Innova were replaced due to Innova factory issues (old known problem since fixed)
Replacements were Vee Tire Speedster #B316198, 26x2.80, which are also City Tires.
Vee description is " designed for high speed and minimal rolling resistance on hard pack and paved terrain".
Tires have been OK on most hard dirt and 'county road' gravel surfaces. They are a bit tricky in sand.
I would not be comfortable doing major off-road riding with these city tires.

Minor Innova datasheet:
tire.png

Innova # IA2236 is classified as a City Tire. It does not have puncture protection and for year-2019 came with tubes.
Evelo suggested adding a tube seal mix when I asked about puncture protection.

Evelo is very easy to work with, suggest you contact them directly to discuss other tire options.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! Now I know those standard tires won't work for the type of riding we intend to do. I'll contact Evelo to discuss tire options as you suggest. Thanks again, Bob

Back