Limited Edition Aurora

The beginning of a beautiful friendship. Took her out for a 5 mile test ride and oh man I am impressed!

Attachments

• IMG_2415.png
    IMG_2415.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 496
And of course, a sale starts as soon as I bought mine! haha Does anyone have any recommendations for a iPhone 11 Pro Max mount? (or big phones) I bought the gub mount on Amazon and it doesn't work too well.

Yeah, just noticed the sale myself....oh well, story of my life! As my dad used to say, "a day late and a dollar short."

Initial update after the first 35 miles. So far, I am thrilled with a few minor quibbles. First being I am experiencing the belt slipping issue other owners went through earlier in the thread, not a fun thing to experience when crossing a street with cars coming. I have sent an email to evelo and hope it is an easy fix.

Next today I did a long and fast ride with a buddy who was on a road bike and found myself often running out of power around the 20mph mark (I have raised the limit to 25) the pedals just become super easy to turn, and nothing happens, this could be normal though not sure.

The final quibble was as I returned home, it was becoming dark, and I realized the headlight is useless. Does anyone have an upgrade recommendation that will run off the integrated wiring/battery?

you not going to get any power after 20mph over the weekend i set mine to the 25mph limit i had to pedal like hell to get to 25mph

Ok good to hear it's normal lol guess I will have to live with bringing up the rear with my fast buddies.
I assume you went through the Enviolo calibration procedure when you set up your ebike. If not try that, or even try it again. At some point one hits the end of the ratio range in the hub and it's not possible to adjust the pedaling to be any more difficult in order to go faster. I don't know if there are any hacks out there to shift the range toward more difficult pedaling, which would conceivably allow you to retain the higher speed and keep up with your buddies. If anyone has any ideas or tips please share.

I assume you went through the Enviolo calibration procedure when you set up your ebike. If not try that, or even try it again. At some point one hits the end of the ratio range in the hub and it's not possible to adjust the pedaling to be any more difficult in order to go faster. I don't know if there are any hacks out there to shift the range toward more difficult pedaling, which would conceivably allow you to retain the higher speed and keep up with your buddies. If anyone has any ideas or tips please share.

I did not but I will now!

I did not but I will now!
Great. Hope the calibration will help. Another thing - if you torque down on your pedals too hard and your ratio is set for difficult pedaling, that can cause the belt to skip. My wife and I have each done that once on our bikes. Better to just hit the throttle when you need a quick burst of acceleration, and especially when crossing a busy street from a full stop.

Just ordered two Aurora Limited Edition bikes, one for me and one for my wife! We're very excited, this is our first adventure into ebikes. My wife and I used to mountain bike when we were younger, and then I got ill. We plan to ride several times a week.

The Evelo representative (who was fantastic in answering all my questions) said this batch of ALE bikes currently on the way from China is production run number 5. :D

Continued tire discussion.

I spoke with an Evelo rep regarding a tire that would perform better off-road than the ALE factory street tire for my 70% off-road/30% on-road intended use. I had been looking online at the 26X2.50 Maxxis Minion DHF and 26X2.30 Maxxis High Roller II tires, among others. The Evelo rep thought the DHF tire would provide a very bumpy, unsatisfactory ride on-road and suggested I look at tires at least 2.60 in width for comfort and compatibility with the ALE setup. The Evelo rep likes WTB brand tires and suggested I look at the 26x2.8 WTB Ranger, which he has measured and verified it will fit under the ALE fenders. The WTB website writes that the Ranger is an "excellent do-all tire that excels in various conditions ranging from hardpack to wet trails". I watched a number of YouTube videos about the WTB tire, and found glowing reports. So, I have purchased four 26x2.8 WTB Ranger tires for our two new ALEs on order. Looking forward to exploring trails in our area.

Attachments

• WTB Ranger.png
    WTB Ranger.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
I feel like I’m finally getting all the kinks worked out. Put in a new headlight and had to swap out the harmony hub which evelo overnighted to me and things are feeling pretty damn good!

I see what all the fuss is about regarding Evelo’s customer service they have been great!

A96A0B00-8E07-4944-B854-A7F7E17D75C9.jpeg

Here is a recent review from Electrek... ;)

Evelo has cracked the code to smooth, effortless pedaling. It’s added a host of creature comforts that make this bike only a couple steps away from being the most comfortable bike in the known universe. OK, that might be a bit over the top… As far as pedaling smoothness goes, the Aurora Limited (in my opinion) beats out Riese and Müller, makers of some of the highest-end and most expensive commuter e-bikes available in America. Riese and Müller bikes hold price tags around $5,000 – $8,000, and for less than half that, you can waltz into the Aurora Limited. How did they do it?

• Motor: Evelo Motion Drive 750w Mid-Drive
  • Battery: 48V 14Ah (672wh)
  • Range: 20-40 miles (32-64km)
  • Gearing: Enviolo Automatic Geared Hub
  • Frame: Aluminum
  • Brakes: 180mm Tektro hydraulic disc brakes
  • Tires: 26 × 2.8 Innova
  • Price: $3,999 (periodic sales occur)
  • Extras: Gates carbon belt drive, front suspension, throttle, automatic headlights, brake lights, welded rear rack, step-through frame, wide fenders, Star Gazer stem

DSC_1128.jpg

How hard is it to remove the rear wheel for a flat repair?

Has anyone attached a trailer (hitch) to the rear axel?

Removing rear wheel is straight-forward. Need 15mm wrench. Putting the wheel back is harder, as you're pulling the Gates belt tight to its final tension.

I've not even thought about attaching anything to the rear axle.

One of the comments in the comments section in the Electrik review of this bike said the pas speed is 25 mph and not the 20 mph stated in the review. Does anyone who has this bike now what the speed pas max really is? Thanks

Back