Limited Edition Aurora

Wondering what the effect is of selecting 700C vs. 26 for wheel size in the setup menu?
At 700C the ODO will read slightly higher than real world miles, 26 will read slightly lower.
Instead of rim Size it would be nice to enter actual tire circumference . . . maybe someday . . . so ODO is a reference point to miles ridden not super accurate. But even a GPS system will have some error.

I did a short / quick test on my bike. It has Vee Tire 26x2.8 tires instead of the standard 26x3.0. They are inflated to 18-19 pounds which is slightly above Evelo Fat Tire recommendation for best ride for my weight and below the Tire Maximum pressure.

Set trip meter to Zero, rode between Bike Trail Mileposts.
For my bike & tires; 700C reads 0.05 miles too high per mile while the 26 setting reads 0.04 miles too low (based on limited data set)

So at 1,000 miles on ODO
real world miles at 700C setting will be 950
real world miles at 26 setting would be 1040

Pick your poison.

Am now at 300 miles ODO.
Recently completed a 37 mile and 33 mile ODO ride and still had some battery reserve.
ODO compared to Google Map miles was off by 5% . . . ODO * 0.95 ~= Google miles
This is about the same as the 10-22-19 data set.

The more miles ridden the more I like this e-bike.

PAS Power Level Down Shift = = How to Make it Smoothly?

OK, no issues shifting the NuVinic gears. Is always smooth.
No issues increasing the PAS Level; 2 to 3 for example. Is always smooth.
Decreasing PAS always has a period of Dead Time . . . as if motor is off.

I've been PAS Down Shifting while pedaling.

Can't find the correct additional change in NuVinci ratio to make the PAS shift smoother.

Is what I'm experiencing “the way it is” for this technology or an Operator Issue?
For example, should I decrease PAS level while Not Pedaling?
And set NuVinci a bit higher/lower before pedaling?

For me PAS level is a set and forget thing. I usually set it to 3 on my Aurora LTD and leave it there for the entire ride.

PAS Power Level Down Shift = = How to Make it Smoothly?

OK, no issues shifting the NuVinic gears. Is always smooth.
No issues increasing the PAS Level; 2 to 3 for example. Is always smooth.
Decreasing PAS always has a period of Dead Time . . . as if motor is off.

I've been PAS Down Shifting while pedaling.

Can't find the correct additional change in NuVinci ratio to make the PAS shift smoother.

Is what I'm experiencing “the way it is” for this technology or an Operator Issue?
For example, should I decrease PAS level while Not Pedaling?
And set NuVinci a bit higher/lower before pedaling?

I am having an issue when in full auto mode that the ratio is slow to adjust when starting to climb a grade. EVELO emailed instructions for installing a firmware update. I don't have the necessary USB cable yet, so I haven't actually tried the update and cannot vouch for it. Here are the instructions in case anyone is interested:

The Harmony system has received a firmware update that great enhances the performance of the system. ("Firmware" is the computer program that runs the Harmony system.) With the new firmware and some small tweaks to the settings, the overall experience is much improved! To download the Harmony software upgrade to the latest firmware, here is procedure. This will take about 10 minutes. You will need to use a computer for this, and the bike will need to be within a few feet of the computer so you can connect the two. The bike should be powered off to start.

• After downloading, you'll need to "extract files"--at that point, the installer should open automatically.
  • Once installed, you'll need to hook a USB (from computer) to Mini-USB. Mini USB is pictured here ("micro won't work):
    mail
The port for the mini-USB is on the underside of the NuVinci controller, which is attached to the chain side of the rear wheel (pictured in the link)

Once you're connected, a red light will turn on near the plug on the Harmony unit, you'll enter the interface in the "Harmony Desktop Software". The software will request you to choose a file to open-- it should be named something like "default.HC" Select that file.

The full instructions on how to process and upgrade the firmware are all included here:

Once there, go to the selection to "update firmware". Make sure that the cord remains plugged in during the entire process.

In the "set-up screen", got to "sprocket sizes" and input the 22T). This should increase battery draw and power as it assumes a lower overall gear ratio is being used. Under chain ring sizes, input 46T). Click "Send Settings to Harmony" , then disconnect.

Lastly, under "cadence, change the cadence range to 35 on the low and 100 on the high.

CRITICAL: Calibrate the unit before the first ride. Power on the bike (press and hold "MODE" for 2 seconds), and power on the Harmony system (press the Green button). Then, press and hold the silver button on the NuVinci controller and hold for about 10 seconds-- the Orange lights on the display will start to cycle up and down, indicating that the unit is in calibration mode. While supporting the rear wheel off of the ground, lightly turn the pedals or twist the throttle. Once the unit stops shifting, continue pedaling or using the throttle for about 10 seconds or until the Harmony unit stops flashing. When the rear wheel has stopped turning, set it back on the ground, and you are all set to ride! You can also recalibrate by riding on flat ground in pedal assist level 1 and doing very light pedaling. Keep pedaling lightly as it goes through the calibrations process.

That's it, you're ready to ride! If you prefer pedaling faster, you can adjust the auto shifting (more blue dots will be present). Fewer blue dots will get more power at a lower cadence. Explore which options work best!

Thanks for the update links and settings. Some notes:
1) The links are at the bottom of the page. Scroll down to see them.
2) Enviolo says you need Windows 8 or later. I can confirm that Windows XP did not have the right device driver.
3) Enviolo says to unplug the unit from power before connecting the USB.
4) "Send Settings to Harmony" is actually "Send Settings to Hub".
5) If you want, you can also save the settings to a file so that you have easy access to them, for instance, after a later update.
6) After the update, you HAVE to calibrate. It's easy as given. The display flashes orange bars after reconnecting the hub after the installation.

Just a quick ride around the block and things seem to be better than before: might be due to the hacked settings (the number of teeth being input are not what the bike actually has and the cadence range is larger than standard).

The automatic mode was completely useless before - I don't know if this fixed that.

Last edited:
For me PAS level is a set and forget thing. I usually set it to 3 on my Aurora LTD and leave it there for the entire ride.
I use the PAS levels a lot. Try to use lowest level when possible to increase battery miles range.
Plus the last half mile or so home is a big hill . . . PAS 4 or PAS 5 if I'm done in are needed to climb

Thanks for the update links and settings. Some notes:
1) The links are at the bottom of the page. Scroll down to see them.
2) Enviolo says you need Windows 8 or later. I can confirm that Windows XP did not have the right device driver.
3) Enviolo says to unplug the unit from power before connecting the USB.
4) "Send Settings to Harmony" is actually "Send Settings to Hub".
5) If you want, you can also save the settings to a file so that you have easy access to them, for instance, after a later update.
6) After the update, you HAVE to calibrate. It's easy as given. The display flashes orange bars after reconnecting the hub after the installation.

Just a quick ride around the block and things seem to be better than before: might be due to the hacked settings (the number of teeth being input arte not what the bike actually has and the cadence range is larger than standard).

The automatic mode was completely useless before - I'll report back whether this fixes that.

I didn’t have any trouble loading the firmware or entering the settings. After a few spins around the neighborhood I can’t say I noticed any difference. What I learned from doing this is a piece of solid oak 1x4 slid between the rear fender and the rack and combined with a couple of sawhorses makes a decent stand.

Attachments

• 2F6C1F76-1EFB-46B0-BB02-5E9A1AB318AD.jpeg
    2F6C1F76-1EFB-46B0-BB02-5E9A1AB318AD.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 526
My wife and I took a ride last Sunday - She was on the Aurora Ltd and I was on a RadCity rental. We rode about 33 miles together (same path and speeds). I weigh quite a bit more than her.

The RadCity got back with 3 bars pf charge remaining.
The Aurora Ltd had 1 bar flashing.

So, this is pretty disappointing. The Aurora only has about 160 miles, so perhaps the battery isn't fully balanced, but even so this tells me that the $4K Aurora is much less efficient than the $1.2K RadCity. The 33 mile ride was fine, but my wife and I are used to doing more (she's been on the RadCity step-thru in the past). The Aurora is much more comfortable (hydraulic brakes, better handlebars, far easier shifting, etc.), but if it can't go the distance we may have to sell it for something that can.

Last edited:
I know there are ways to suck the juice out of the battery. For example, using a higher pedal assist level and/or setting the CVT in fully automatic with a slow cadence. These things make the bike work more like a scooter and use more charge. It's also possible that under a heavy drain the battery level might show a lower level and then rise a bar later. I noticed that. My wife and I were out for a ride and did some hills. My bike was at 37 miles since full charge and dropped down to one bar. I thought, oh no already? But when I got home the display showed two bars. You should talk to one of the EVELO guys about your concerns before you do something rash and sell this great bike.

I had experienced the same lack of range in my riding, too. My wife ran mostly in PAS 2, only uses throttle to get going from a stand-still, does not use the automatic mode (which doesn't work well anyway) and the battery level was checked a few minutes after stopping the ride.

Yes, I will contact Evelo, but I'm not expecting a solution. This bike already has their biggest battery, which is about the same size as the RadCity battery. I'm thinking the enviolo hub is literally sucking power due to its inefficiency.

. . . . I'm thinking the enviolo hub is literally sucking power due to its inefficiency.

I also only use Manual Mode on the NuVivic/Enviolo. Really wanted a cable/manual hub but as we know that was not an option for the Limited.

I've not run the battery to dead but frequently get to One Bar on Display and Only the Red LED on the battery pack, always in the 28-30 ODO Miles range. Have continued riding up to 35 miles but don't know the "it's dead" limit.

Side note: My only lithium battery experience is on an i2 Segway (much larger battery pack) the Display Power Bars are far more linear on the Segway. It has 8 bars. The shift from 8 to 7 is slow as it takes more miles than typical while the shift from 7 to 6 or 5 to 4 is very linear. That has not been the case on the E-Bike; 5 to 4 takes miles and miles, then almost without warning it is at 2 or 1 bar. Guess circuitry is not very expensive (accurate).

New Issue: Dead Throttle

On most recent 28 mile ride the Throttle stopped working twice. I generally only use it from a dead stop and the first time it did not function I was in city traffic - - - not a great feeling - - -

I will be contacting Evolo, but until then . . . any thoughts?

Issue:
. . . . Throttle does not engage motor,
. . . . Brakes are off.
. . . . Pedaling will engage motor.

Have tried:
. . . . E-Bike power-off - - - - no help Throttle still dead on power-on
. . . . Remove battery pack - - - force cold start - - - no help Throttle still dead on power-on

Current Fix:
Hot Switch Throttle - - - with power-on unplug Throttle Cable, reconnect.
. . . . The two times the Throttle stopped working this Hot Switching Fixed it.
. . . . Throttle worked normal until it decided not to.
. . . . Not sure this means anything or was just chance.

Wow

Evelo web-site has 2020 LTD pre-orders discounted to $3,400 . . . $600 off our newbie price . . . what is that a 15% discount

Wow

Evelo web-site has 2020 LTD pre-orders discounted to $3,400 . . . $600 off our newbie price . . . what is that a 15% discount

They have had the 2019 LTD discounted all of November (black Friday sale for the entire month). My wife was still in the trial window for her bike when they announced this price and they refunded part of her purchase to give her the discount. I don't know if the $3,400 price for the 2020 LTD will last beyond November.

Since I have two 2019 LTDs in my garage, I very much want to know what the issue turns out to be with your throttle. Please let us know what you find out from Evelo.

On most recent 28 mile ride the Throttle stopped working twice. I generally only use it from a dead stop and the first time it did not function I was in city traffic - - - not a great feeling - - -

Issue:
. . . . Brakes are off.

Have tried:
. . . . Remove battery pack - - - force cold start - - - no help Throttle still dead on power-on

Current Fix:

Issue:
. . . . Brakes are off.

Have tried:

Current Fix:
You May know this already, but just in case, the Throttle does not work in PAS 0. You must be in PAS 1 or higher for the Throttle to function.

Sounds like a loose connection. Check the wire. If there is a connector, make sure it is tight.

Dead Throttle Update 11-29-2019

Evelo responded
[ 1 ] This was a new failure mode for them.
[ 2 ] Recommended/Requested the Throttle Assembly be replaced as First Step in Troubleshooting

Throttle Assembly swap out was very simple.
Only have ~ 17 ODO miles since the change; no Dead Throttle Events so far.
However problem was intermittent so more riding miles are needed and with the arrival of winter temps it may be awhile before enought miles/trips have been completed to know if this was the fix.

= = =
Throttle appears to be a Hall Effect 3-wire Style (took the replaced one apart). Bench testing it had a typical Hall Effect output voltage ramp using a +5VDC input. Moving wires did not seem to cause a disconnect but that's not a real test . . . intermittent failure does suggest a contact / wiring connection issue. Or worse case the Motor Controller uProcessor Code is hanging up - - - way to soon to suspect that IMHO.

@AugustMainer ; Yes am aware of PAS 0 means motor 100% off. My default PAS position is ' 1 ' as I never ride without motor help { except over 20 MPH :)} And nearly 100% use throttle from a eBike dead stop.
= = =

Well, there was a post in this forum on June 7 discussing the new bike: New Aurora 2019 Model . No solace, I know. I do have sympathy for manufacturers, as they need to avoid the Osborne Effect (summary: Osborne pre-announced a new computer and then sales of their existing computer tanked, contributing to them going bankrupt).

We got lucky - my wife ideally wanted a step-thru, and she has hand/thumb issues. She liked the expensive R&M Homage with the manual Nuvinci and Gates, but thankfully for my wallet, the lack of a throttle was literally a deal killer (to get going from a stand-still, not for constant riding). The Aurora Limited Edition appears to have all the features she was looking for:
  • Step-Thru frame with upright riding position
  • Torque-sensing Mid-drive WITH throttle
  • Hydraulic brakes (although I am concerned that the disks are only 160mm, so that may mean a future upgrade)
  • Easy on the thumbs shifter (The NuVinci Enviolo automatic is electrically driven, so very easy to twist)
  • Enough battery for at least 40 miles with pedaling
  • Suitable both for road and some light off-road trails
It still ain't cheap at $4K, but that has nicities like the Gates belt drive, the constant cadence automatic shifting of the Enviolo, and 750/1000 watts of power. It appears to tick all the right feature boxes.

We expect the bike in early Sept - I'll start a new thread here when it arrives.
Hello,
Wondering if you have an update. I am very interested in this bike. My challenge is that I have the duel challenges of inseam shy of 29” and Too heavy, way much so. Wondering what your wife thinks about this bike. Thanks.

Back