Lights Save Lives

Blue frequency is at least 50% higher than red. Violet is roughly 67% higher than red. Red also scatters -much- less than blue -- a big advantage in hazy air. That why the clear sky's blue and why reconnaissance photos are often taken in the near infrared.

IMO, deviating from automotive light color standards is a big mistake. Bike lights already confuse drivers and pedestrians at night. And when there are other things competing for our attention, our brain-eye systems are prone to ignoring the confusing ones.

Why confuse our main threats even more?
Good points, valid and well put. That said, now my decorated light parade bike has a flashing Rudolph nose. I will have twin white headlamps. One powerful and steady, the other blinking. I will also have a Bontrager tail light on my helmet and a regular taillamp.

Bright lights in daylight really get attention and add a big safety boost…. not perfect but every bit helps.
My Stromer has Supernova M99 Pro headlight and taillight. On a charity ride with “crossing guards” at busy highways a guard stopped me to say that he saw me coming a half mile away!

Big plus to having an Ebike is easy ability to have bright lights all the time.
And at night with no traffic…..the night becomes day with the M99😀
M99 best bike light i personally have used

Blue frequency is at least 50% higher than red. Violet is roughly 67% higher than red. Red also scatters -much- less than blue -- a big advantage in hazy air. That why the clear sky's blue and why reconnaissance photos are often taken in the near infrared.
Exactly this, but one can't just look at frequency as the colour spectrum perceived by a healthy human eye isn't 100% just frequency, but equivalent luminance.

Again to borrow from web accessibility where we have decades of research, and prior to that research into display technologies, we have the Luma/chroma scale where luma is how bright the human eye treats colours and contrasts.

Basically take red, green, and blue -- the three components best used for outputting the full colour gamut in emissive light, as opposed to reflective where cyan, magenta, and yellow are your primaries. If you rank their luminance -- aka apparent brightness to the eye at the same energy level -- against white:

red == 29.9% the brightness of white
green == 58.7% the brightness of white
blue == 11.4% yadda, yadda.

The eye is most sensitive to green. It's the colour humans can distinguish the most different levels of brightness in. You would think that would mean that green is your go-to choice, and it is for the primary component of legible text. But there's a reason in old displays green ended up eye strain whilst amber -- basically 100% red and 50-70% green -- ended up better.

When it comes to safety colours, it's not just about how bright the colour choice is, it's about what's actually in the environment. In most climes sky blue is everywhere. Green or grey/white tend to be everywhere, so we're conditioned to ignore those colours.

It is thus colours that are rarely natural occurring are used. They stand out because they don't naturally appear as often "out in the wild".
Red, Amber, yellow, blue skewed about 10% on hue towards red/violet.

Aka fire colours, because for some reasons humans are hardwired to react to fire. Can't imagine why.

Purple can be a bad choice as a lot of different types of colour-blindness can't see it. Same way salmon and green end up looking the same. Not sure why that happens but I suspect it's because purple doesn't really exist. There is no single frequency that creates purple colours to the human eye. It has to be at least two different frequencies, and what we see is actually an interference pattern. Thus I'd suggest sticking to colours that can be generated as a single frequency.

Last edited:
Oh, and for those of you who were fed lies in grade school about yellow/blue/red...

The proper mixes in terms of colour purity for mixing paint/inks (reflective media) is magenta, yellow, and cyan.

Magenta + yellow == red
cyan + yellow == green
magenta + cyan == blue

When working with light (emissive) it's reverse:

blue + green == cyan
blue + red == magenta
red + green == yellow

Though again, there actually is no such thing as magenta.

Colour theory, fun S***.

I'm using a Gloworm X2 2k lumen on the front a Garmin Varia on my seat post and a Niteflux Redzone 1k lumens on my helmet (though I don't run it at 1k during nighttime or I'd blind the cars it's so fuckin bright 😂)

Attachments

• 20221207_021531.jpg
    20221207_021531.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I can't sleep man 😫 I'm on Amazon shopping for reflectors planning on putting on blue streak on the rims of my bikes.
I'd love some of those crazy light up rims or whatever people use to make them light up , pretty cool lol

Yeah man I've been riding in the early morning hours in the dark I had a few near miss collision with motorists.
Due to lack of lighting I think.
I don't play anymore after being hit by a drunk in October . My lights are insane though I don't think any amount of lights would have helped that dipshit see

Good points, valid and well put. That said, now my decorated light parade bike has a flashing Rudolph nose. I will have twin white headlamps. One powerful and steady, the other blinking. I will also have a Bontrager tail light on my helmet and a regular taillamp.
I have a fair amount of lights on my bikes including 2 headlights on Sport. I used to set one to flash but it seems annoying when I see a flashing headlight coming the other way. Thoughts?

I have a fair amount of lights on my bikes including 2 headlights on Sport. I used to set one to flash but it seems annoying when I see a flashing headlight coming the other way. Thoughts?
There was some discussion here regarding flashing headlights. On motorcycles, and my Vespa flashing headlights were or are illegal. A modulating headlight is allowed by Federal law. I always remembered to turn modulating on as traffic behavior always reminded me. The difference for me was amazing. One morning in the opposite lane some nutter was waving his fist and honking as we passed. He actually turned around and chased me down a stop light and angrily barked, "That fucking thing is annoying, I could see you from 3 blocks away..."

BINGO dude!

If I was a commuter and high mileage rider I'd have adapted a modulating front light to my eBike.

Flashing headlights are definitely not good on roads. The issue with flashing lights in general is they are good attention getters but make it really difficult for other road users to judge your position and velocity and can be very distracting. In my 15 years of commuting, I found a nice bright solid light worked best at night, with maybe an additional dimmer taillight set to blink.

One of the worst bike-bike accidents I saw on the rail trail was someone with a flashing headlight after dark caused an oncoming rider to get disoriented and hit him head on.

Flashing headlights are definitely not good on roads. The issue with flashing lights in general is they are good attention getters but make it really difficult for other road users to judge your position and velocity and can be very distracting. In my 15 years of commuting, I found a nice bright solid light worked best at night, with maybe an additional dimmer taillight set to blink.

One of the worst bike-bike accidents I saw on the rail trail was someone with a flashing headlight after dark caused an oncoming rider to get disoriented and hit him head on.
FWIW Modulating lights must have a light sensor to prevent use in the dark.

extra lights under frame help

Attachments

• 45269562baa54c54267ab3a394c7cf16ca7ef84a-1.jpg
    45269562baa54c54267ab3a394c7cf16ca7ef84a-1.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 128
Back