Less Than Ideal Temperatures for Optimal Battery Performance

What outdoor temperature(s) significantly effects optimal battery performance?

• Total voters

bikerjohn

The 36 volt 12 Ah battery on my bike seemingly discharges faster in cooler weather. What have you noticed?

Very typical for batteries. They work best in warm weather. I haven't rode enough to make a determination but I begin to notice a difference in my car once it gets into the 60's and below.

Very typical for batteries. They work best in warm weather. I haven't rode enough to make a determination but I begin to notice a difference in my car once it gets into the 60's and below.
What kind of car are you driving?

I recently monitored power usage on the same riding route on October 14 (75F) and October 21 (42F). It took 30% more AH when it was colder. Lower tire pressure and more wind had some minor effects.

Last edited:
The optimum temperature for lipos is 86 to 104 deg F. When the temps get below 86F the batteries performance drops off and gets worse the colder it gets. It has to do with the internal resistance which is affected by temperature. However, you should store your battery anywhere from 50 to 70 F when not in use and voltage should be around 50% but a little higher is ok too. When it gets cold enough outside, you should bring your battery inside and store it in a warm part of the house before you plan to ride. Never let your battery reach freezing temps, that can hurt the electrolyte in the cells.

Yes lower temps effect battery range. Summer I ride in 85-100 degrees, now in the low 60’s and went from 60+ miles with 2 bars left, to 50+.

I also noticed the lower temperature effect. I frequently get 50+ miles per charge riding a local trail when temps are at or near 80. I rode the trail this week with temps around 50 and was lucky to get 40.

By using a poll, are you expecting different results, from different lithium battery pack manufacturers, at the same temperature?

I added a triangle bag for my rear hub Radrover with 48v/11.6 ah Panasonic battery pack to help with wind chill during winter. I notice a bigger decrease in range as the headwind increases compared to temperature drop. It gets as low as the low/mid teens with the average between 25-35 degrees in winter. My feet/hands get too cold at those temps before my average battery range of 30-35 miles gives out. Lucky to store in a warm garage at home and inside a server room near my office at work to keep my ebike close to room temperate when not riding.

I haven't notice any decrease in range as it gets hot outside. I seem to have the same range even with temps +100 degrees in summer.

I rode into work last week when the temperature was 38 degrees. I had a full charge on my battery overnight and I would guess that the garage temperature was 45-50. I was really surprised at the voltage when I got home. Strange as it sounds it was the best result I remember getting. I used only 1.2 volts on the round trip of 12 miles. I usually use closer to 2 volts as in some busy traffic I use higher assist to stay closer to the speed of traffic coming up behind me. I have no idea why it seemed to perform so well at the lower temperature. It was cold enough that I had to remove my glasses because of fogging. That is also something I had not experienced before.

I use Jaws Quick Spit Antifog spray, Amazon, $7: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012Q2S4W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I usually add 1 or 2 times a week for the morning commute to help against fogging when I stop at an intersection. Before using antifog spray, my goggles would fog up and the moisture would sometimes freeze on really cold mornings creating a distorted view. Without googles, my eyes would water too much with the cold temps and +20 mph speeds.

By using a poll, are you expecting different results, from different lithium battery pack manufacturers, at the same temperature?
No, I was mainly curious what other ebike riders have noticed when using their ebike in an assortment of temperatures. But that idea is interesting.

I rode into work last week when the temperature was 38 degrees. I had a full charge on my battery overnight and I would guess that the garage temperature was 45-50. I was really surprised at the voltage when I got home. Strange as it sounds it was the best result I remember getting. I used only 1.2 volts on the round trip of 12 miles. I usually use closer to 2 volts as in some busy traffic I use higher assist to stay closer to the speed of traffic coming up behind me. I have no idea why it seemed to perform so well at the lower temperature. It was cold enough that I had to remove my glasses because of fogging. That is also something I had not experienced before.
Interesting.

I took my first long trip with my new 17.5 AH 48 v LiPolimer battery at 50-55 deg. Started at 54+ v down from 54.4 @ charger shutoff, it was 47.4 at 25 miles and 44.5 @ 45 miles. Thus realistic 90% to 10% charge range was 50 miles. I rode about 12 mph, which was too fast to help it with the pedals. I had hoped for something more like 80 miles, but I completed my battery installation in October. Unfortunately most of my planned road trips would be to late fall festivals and concerts.
I bought an 8 speed 13-28 tooth freewheel to speed up pedals 12%, but it came in 45 mm thick, too thick to use on the LY-48-1000 hub motor in 135 mm frame.

with lithium ion cell batteries the worst possible temperature to ride is is -20 Celsius and below. granted the cold in general will bring the overall capacity down

I wonder if there's enough heat generated in the battery itself during use to help minimize losses from the cold outside air temp

unfortunately no... at least not Canadian winters. but thats why i mention -20 Celsius. im a bicycle / e-bike tech and i have tested many batteries and the best i have got so far is -20

Bummer. My RC lithium batteries in aircraft will self heat but I run huge amps out of them for short bursts. I still have to preheat the packs to get good performance. It's amazing how much internal resistance goes up when the temps go down

Charging indoors, and fabbing a neoprene sleeve for the battery should help...an ace bandage overwrap might also keep an insulating sleeve in place.

Back