Leons ET Cycle T720

Are you modifying it for more speed?

No.
I'm modifying it to slow the damn thing down.

Not really the speed, just the Maximum power it uses to get there.

I have no problem going 32 kph or less.

I want to do it gently with more control.
Maximum power with street tires in the dirt doesn't work too good. Lol

So top end on it exceeds 32 mph?

No, the power shuts off at 32 kph.

The off road display should allow the power to stay on until 45 kph, but only if I pedal it like I stole it.

I want to use the Australian off-road display to turn the power down to Eco mode, so the thing ain't so damn twitchy.

And apparently, the off-road display doesn't have the 1½ second lag after you stop pedaling or start pedaling again in PAS modes.

I don't need to go 32 kph if it just drains my battery more than twice as fast as say 25 kph

How much faster🙃

How much faster🙃

Screenshot_20221207-115303_DuckDuckGo.jpg

One guy had 2 T1000's for him and his wife.

His wife was coming up to a curve in the gravel road so she stopped pedaling to slow down.
She started pedaling again just as she was coming out of the curve and the bike waited 1½ seconds to reapply the power, and then it kicked in HARD and spun out her back wheel and she crashed.
This happened 3 times so the guy complained to Leon's and Leon's just said that leaving the ability to turn the bike down to ECO mode was an oversight.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

He said it's not just inconvenient.
It's dangerous.
Someone is going to get hurt.

Last edited:
Just to clarify my understanding of these Eco, Normal, Turbo settings. They control how much current is applied to get the bike up to the speed associated with the set PAS level, in other words the acceleration. Although, I have mine set on Eco, with a limited amount of experimenting, I didn't see a huge difference at the different settings. However, with the T1000's more powerful motor, it could possibly have more effect.

Again - my understanding only.

Just to clarify my understanding of these Eco, Normal, Turbo settings. They control how much current is applied to get the bike up to the speed associated with the set PAS level, in other words the acceleration. Although, I have mine set on Eco, with a limited amount of experimenting, I didn't see a huge difference at the different settings. However, with the T1000's more powerful motor, it could possibly have more effect.

Are you retired?

Yeah, I'm just guessing myself.
Hopefully with the new display and my twist throttle, I should have more control over the power?

I did find this thumb throttle that appears to be a quality product, but it hangs below the handlebar and my right handlebar is already pretty cramped and busy.
And it's got a male julet plug instead of the female that I would need.

Screenshot_20221207-124109_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20221207_124543.jpg

I'm just going to see how my twist throttle and new display work out, along with putting my "cruise control" on the left handlebar.

I hear clearly from you the bike has power and torque…..

How would that translate when going up hills and changes in elevation??

I hear clearly from you the bike has power and torque…..

How would that translate when going up hills and changes in elevation??

I actually took my bike out for a spin today. (It's quite warm at +9°C)

I went up that big hill again and was in the proper gear to help it along.

20221109_130853.jpg

I was in 3rd or fourth gear heading into the hill and I had a bit of speed to start.
The bike did slow down towards the top but it was still pulling.

If I had the same angle of hill but it was a much longer climb, I would have just put it in first gear and pedaled slowly to help it along.

The good thing as far as I see it is that the bike is derated to 500 Watts so even if it is putting out a peak of 750w, the motor can handle it for a long duration without getting too hot.
Partly because of the German Das Kit engineering and partly because it is actually a 750w motor with a peak of 1000w.

My brother-in-laws Yukon has an 8 for fun 500 Watt motor and it is much smaller and thinner.

I'm pretty sure that his motor would get a lot hotter than my motor doing a long continuous climb.

So I kinda like having the derated motor because I don't think that I have to worry about it too much.

I'd like to know if my motor has a built-in temperature sensor that will limit power or cut out if it gets too hot.
I'm sure that the controller will limit power based on amps and time but it would be nice if the controller monitors motor temperature as well.

Das-Kit is pretty mysterious and only has about 1 or 2% of the ebike motor market.

Mysterious indeed….I wonder why🤔

Interesting how its rated at 500 watts it’s kinda like Mopar in the 1970’s. In essence this is a very capable bike and yet their marketing strategy is invisible 🙃

Keep in mind that all ebikes are still just a bicycle with an electric motor to assist you.

IIRC, 1 horse power is equivalent to about 1000 Watts.

So all e-bikes in Canada are just bicycles with a ½ horse motor.

You can get that ½ horse to climb hills with proper gearing and helping it along.

I could have climbed that hill with my old mountain bike but I would be in granny gear and going ½ mph.
And I would have had to really work the pedals.

Mysterious indeed….I wonder why🤔

I figure it's so they can get their products into the European and Australian markets with a 250 Watt limit.

You can easily derate the motor to 250w but I don't think that there's a limit to the maximum peak power?

The T1000 is available in Australia and New Zealand as a 250 Watt ebike, but it's got a 1000 Watt peak and 750 Watts continuous to 32 kph.

No throttles allowed in Europe and Australia either.
Except on your own property.
Then you can go like hell. Lol

Last edited:
Back