Lectric XP

In the video where the air for is installed, Bob says that the star nut needs to be positioned 1/4 to 1/2 inch down in the tube. Do you measure from the top of the tube to the top of the flange of the star nut or from the top of the tube to the top of the threads of the star nut? Also, I have some play in the fork once I assemble it all together. Could it be that my measurement was too long? I'm using the Neco H185 headset. And, do I have to drive the top cone and compression ring (the parts that sit on the top ball retainer - bearing) down when assembling the fork in the bike's frame? I ask because the assembly has play when it is assembled. Please answer my questions because I need expert help.

Last edited:
In the video where the air for is installed, Bob says that the star nut needs to be positioned 1/4 to 1/2 inch down in the tube. Do you measure from the top of the tube to the top of the flange of the star nut or from the top of the tube to the top of the threads of the star nut? Also, I have some play in the fork once I assemble it all together. Could it be that my measurement was too long? I'm using the Neco H185 headset. And, do I have to drive the top cone and compression ring (the parts that sit on the top ball retainer - bearing) down when assembling the fork in the bike's frame? I ask because the assembly has play when it is assembled. Please answer my questions because I need expert help.

20200801_045912.jpg

Maybe this will help. See the red arrow, it points to the top of the uncut Fork. You see the cap on top of the fork which is held in with a screw that goes into your star nut. Below that I have about 6 spacers and below that is the stem which holds my handlebar.

That cap pushes down on those spacers which then pushes down on my handlebar stem and creates tension and keeps it all tight. If your Fork is cut a few millimeters too long when you tighten that screw it won't create to the compression you need. Conversely if you cut the fork few millimeters too short oh, it doesn't matter and still works perfectly.

To answer your question, that's star nut needs to be far enough and so that it can both be captured by the screw that goes through the cap and allow the cap to be tightened down. A way to test it would be to install just the cap with a screw through a plain fork with nothing on it, tighten that screw down and make sure that cap pulls tight. That star nut might not be far enough down and it might not be tightening properly.

I know the headset seems a bit of a mystery but it really is very simple pretty much any 44 mm semi integrated headset will work. Here are some links to a few sellers on eBay with USA stock.

Just do a search for semi integrated 44 mm and you'll find all kind of results. About the only real difference is the top cap some of them are flat and some of them are angled some of them are cone-shaped, they all will match up to the bottom of the new threadless stem quite nicely.

View attachment 60873

Maybe this will help. See the red arrow, it points to the top of the uncut Fork. You see the cap on top of the fork which is held in with a screw that goes into your star nut. Below that I have about 6 spacers and below that is the stem which holds my handlebar.

That cap pushes down on those spacers which then pushes down on my handlebar stem and creates tension and keeps it all tight. If your Fork is cut a few millimeters too long when you tighten that screw it won't create to the compression you need. Conversely if you cut the fork few millimeters too short oh, it doesn't matter and still works perfectly.

To answer your question, that's star nut needs to be far enough and so that it can both be captured by the screw that goes through the cap and allow the cap to be tightened down. A way to test it would be to install just the cap with a screw through a plain fork with nothing on it, tighten that screw down and make sure that cap pulls tight. That star nut might not be far enough down and it might not be tightening properly.
Thanks for posting that information for me. I will be re-measuring the length and cutting the tube a little shorter.

General question about adding a new suspension fork. When cutting the new fork down to size, will matching the old fork length be correct? or is this dependent on what parts you have? I am switching over to the threadless neco folding bar. Are the headsets a standard height or does this change per manufacturer? I'm planning on switching out and the cutting part seems pretty crucial. I don't want to make a big mistake and measure wrong. Thanks in advance.

I know the headset seems a bit of a mystery but it really is very simple pretty much any 44 mm semi integrated headset will work. Here are some links to a few sellers on eBay with USA stock.

Just do a search for semi integrated 44 mm and you'll find all kind of results. About the only real difference is the top cap some of them are flat and some of them are angled some of them are cone-shaped, they all will match up to the bottom of the new threadless stem quite nicely.

Hi Sed. So other than the new suspension shocks that you buy from Aliexpress or Alibaba, what are the other required parts and specialized tools one would need to fully complete the suspension upgrade. I have watched a few videos, but it would be nice to see a list (including purchasing links) of the parts and specialized tools one would need to complete the task.

Hi Sed. So other than the new suspension shocks that you buy from Aliexpress or Alibaba, what are the other required parts and specialized tools one would need to fully complete the suspension upgrade. I have watched a few videos, but it would be nice to see a list (including purchasing links) of the parts and specialized tools one would need to complete the task.

I shot this for another member. It should help. Read the description for parts links.

Last edited:
General question about adding a new suspension fork. When cutting the new fork down to size, will matching the old fork length be correct? or is this dependent on what parts you have? I am switching over to the threadless neco folding bar. Are the headsets a standard height or does this change per manufacturer? I'm planning on switching out and the cutting part seems pretty crucial. I don't want to make a big mistake and measure wrong. Thanks in advance.

Different headsets will be different heights. A flat top headset like stock might be 30mm tall and a cone shaped one might be 50mm tall. Definitely need to cut it to the headset YOU buy.

Thanks for posting that information for me. I will be re-measuring the length and cutting the tube a little shorter.
Sed, I got my air suspension fork installed thanks to you and Bob. I have a question for you. When you had your air fork installed, did you feel feedback through the handlebars like you did when the original steer fork was installed? I feel it on my air suspension fork and wanted to make sure that was normal. Thanks so much for your help in determining the cause of too much play. I had to cut an additional 1/8 inch off the tube and my cut wasn't straight so I had to get a file out to even it out. I like the ride quality of the air suspension fork, but I've got to test it out on a longer drive though.

Sed, I got my air suspension fork installed thanks to you and Bob. I have a question for you. When you had your air fork installed, did you feel feedback through the handlebars like you did when the original steer fork was installed? I feel it on my air suspension fork and wanted to make sure that was normal. Thanks so much for your help in determining the cause of too much play. I had to cut an additional 1/8 inch off the tube and my cut wasn't straight so I had to get a file out to even it out. I like the ride quality of the air suspension fork, but I've got to test it out on a longer drive though.
Hello, how accurate did your cut have to be? how much room for error is there? Getting ready to cut mine down soon.

I'm not sure what you mean by:

"did you feel feedback through the handlebars like you did when the original steer fork was installed?"

Back