Lectric XP

That is awesome...it's tempting just to buy it because it's such a good deal and probably very handy
Did not know they made these, just ordered 4, two for my bike and a couple for my cousins bike. They were so cheap figured I would get a spare incase one broke.
Doesn't look to be the correct shape for the twist throttle position. Maybe heat will alter it to a better shape.

Yeah will have to check that when it gets here. But hey, 59 cents was worth giving it a shot.
Yes there actually made for throttles on motorcycles and usually are installed on the far right/ outside of the throttle. It may work and it's certainly not an expensive piece to experiment with to see if it helps. Keep us posted...

Alright so I'm going to bring a little history into the mix. Back in 2012 I wanted a lightweight folder. Something I could bring with me on the "L" train here in Chicago
because folders were the only bikes technically allowable past rush hour restrictions. I needed to get to my university and I could not bring forth a regular bike. So I researched a lot of bikes and folding bikes.

Eventually I decided on my Downtube Nova for it's lightweight and simplicity and price over everything else available at the time. I was a broke college student and did not have the funds to purchase my favorite bike. It was however light and passable. And no, I could not afford a Brompton!

But what I really wanted was this! A Tern Verge folding road bike.

This was basically the equivalent of a folding road bike of my dreams! And it cost upwards of $2000. Unfortunately I did not have this kind of money. I never did get one but I would've love to have riden this at top speed! My dream was to keep up with the spandex crowd with a folding bike which was seen as a strange inferior design. Folders have always been seen as less than but I see them as a great engineering marvel. This folder even had a two speed chain ring!

I wish I could still find this folding bike someday. It just has a very aggressive stance and a beautiful design. Oh yeah and did I mention these usually weighed around 20-30 lbs max.

Forget about a suspension fork or tail, no suspension seatpost, no electric motors or pedal assist controllers, no incorrect odometers or speedometers to unlock, no unnecessary drama. It was just you, the bike and the road.

I miss these old folding bike days but electric propulsion has really changed the landscape of bicycling as we know it.

Last edited:
Doesn't look to be the correct shape for the twist throttle position. Maybe heat will alter it to a better shape.
Any type of thumb throttle is going t be better than holding the 1/2 twist throttle for any length of time. Try the throttle only for a couple of miles, let us know if your wrist is sore......maybe it is just me.

7th gear is my hangout also, but wanting an 8th gear
you and me both!

Do you or anyone else notice any cross chaining when staying in 7th gear, specifically on the rear cassette? If I look and listen closely, when in 7th gear, the chain is continually rubbing on the 6th gear due to it being at such an extreme angle compared to the front chainring. Pisses me off as that is no bueno in the long run and will eventually and probably quickly wear out the chain prematurely. I was thinking of investigating a fix, potentially adding a small spacer to the crank or something, but that's not always possible.

Any type of thumb throttle is going t be better than holding the 1/2 twist throttle for any length of time. Try the throttle only for a couple of miles, let us know if your wrist is sore......maybe it is just me.
No it's not just you, I rarely use throttle and it still irritates the crap out of my wrist also. I'll do what ever it takes to try and make the thumb throttle fit, and like I said before, 59 cents is well worth giving it a shot.

No it's not just you, I rarely use throttle and it still irritates the crap out of my wrist also. I'll do what ever it takes to try and make the thumb throttle fit, and like I said before, 59 cents is well worth giving it a shot.
Yep. I see no reason they will not work and why I ordered then posted if it might help others. I enjoy looking for a solution if I don't like something.

you and me both!

Do you or anyone else notice any cross chaining when staying in 7th gear, specifically on the rear cassette? If I look and listen closely, when in 7th gear, the chain is continually rubbing on the 6th gear due to it being at such an extreme angle compared to the front chainring. Pisses me off as that is no bueno in the long run and will eventually and probably quickly wear out the chain prematurely. I was thinking of investigating a fix, potentially adding a small spacer to the crank or something, but that's not always possible.
Have you tried any of the adjustment videos? https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=adjusting+rear+derailleur

It has nothing to do with the rear derailleur adjustment, it's the simple fact that when the chain is in the outermost gear $7, the angle coming from the front chainring is too extreme and that is what causes the rubbing. Derailleur adjustment won't fix this. This is typically a problem you can run into on most bikes with a front and rear derailleur when going from the largest front chainring to smallest rear, or vice versa to make the chain angle extreme. Should not be THIS extreme though, and seems like if the front chainring guard were not there, the chain would happily slip off and often.

Anyone want to do a test for me? Put your XP in gear 7, then stare at the rear cassette while you spin the pedals in reverse using the freewheel. See if the chain acts like it wants to bind up on the 6th gear, mine actually comes up off the outer gear a little once in awhile, and the noise is audible.

Eventually I decided on my Downtube Nova for it's lightweight and simplicity and price over everything else available at the time. I was a broke college student and did not have the funds to purchase my favorite bike. It was however light and passable. And no, I could not afford a Brompton!

View attachment 40385

I miss these old folding bike days but electric propulsion has really changed the landscape of bicycling as we know it.

Yay. ANother Nova owner, at least ex-Nova, The only thing on ours that gave me trouble was the hinge needs an annual oiling, or it starts to squeak. I initially bought the 8FS with full suspension a few years ago, but my wife commandeered it. So I got the Nova. I installed 250W motors on each. Both are around 35 pounds. Depends on what batteries I use. We only ride them for fun on bike paths. Much more nimble than my Ecotric 20" folding fat bike.

Pictures and a video of gear 7 cross chaining. This is not good and will cause the chain to wear out super fast based on how much pedaling I do all the time in gear 7. I will contact Lectric about this as I even removed the crank arm and I see no way to add a spacer that would allow correcting this. I even moved a large front chain ring way out as a temp test and it was still rubbing. Visible wear marks on every link so far with only about 75 miles total on my bike.

Not good people.

Attachments

• 22D1CF07-DC56-4FAD-AF34-456DA73574ED.jpeg
    22D1CF07-DC56-4FAD-AF34-456DA73574ED.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 345
  • D19CAE65-4995-444E-B0A0-39B7652BF619.jpeg
    D19CAE65-4995-444E-B0A0-39B7652BF619.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 368
  • C9D6B594-3B3B-4841-BE0B-9D7108EEE318.jpeg
    C9D6B594-3B3B-4841-BE0B-9D7108EEE318.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 369
  • 9DE5CD6B-21E1-47A9-A1EF-FBFF8D855AAE.jpeg
    9DE5CD6B-21E1-47A9-A1EF-FBFF8D855AAE.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 379
Pictures and a video of gear 7 cross chaining. This is not good and will cause the chain to wear out super fast based on how much pedaling I do all the time in gear 7. I will contact Lectric about this as I even removed the crank arm and I see no way to add a spacer that would allow correcting this. I even moved a large front chain ring way out as a temp test and it was still rubbing. Visible wear marks on every link so far with only about 75 miles total on my bike.

Not good people.
Are you sure your freewheel is correctly seated against the motor and not cross threaded? I dont have my bike handy but will look at this when I get home.

Are you sure your freewheel is correctly seated against the motor and not cross threaded? I dont have my bike handy but will look at this when I get home.
Hmmm, explain about this more please? What exactly is cross-threaded? the rear cassette itself? I didn't touch anything on the rear hub or wheel/motor assembly since I have had this bike, so anything like that would have to be a mistake made at the factory. I will go take another look at the hub assembly and see how close things are, take another pic

Hmmm, explain about this more please? What exactly is cross-threaded? the rear cassette itself? I didn't touch anything on the rear hub or wheel/motor assembly since I have had this bike, so anything like that would have to be a mistake made at the factory. I will go take another look at the hub assembly and see how close things are, take another pic
The back of your freewheel (cassette) is threaded and so is the motor (hub) and they screw in together. If crossthreaded, it wont go on all the way. Here's a picture I found on the web, it's not an ebike, but shows the threading. 40398. You'll get the idea.
edit: I didnt explain cross threading. its when you go to screw in something you dont line up the threads correctly and it gets buggered. thereby not seating right

Things look pretty tight by the rear hub motor, anyone have a similar pic for comparison?

Attachments

• 79EEFADC-DF8A-4724-A851-363816A8DB9B.jpeg
    79EEFADC-DF8A-4724-A851-363816A8DB9B.jpeg
    619.7 KB · Views: 322
  • 64053C11-63A6-44DE-A102-C109B4C49B4E.jpeg
    64053C11-63A6-44DE-A102-C109B4C49B4E.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 348
  • 3D919702-5A9A-48FB-AC7F-E19B7254E3DC.jpeg
    3D919702-5A9A-48FB-AC7F-E19B7254E3DC.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 355
  • 9591B609-4159-4AD4-BD4B-2F14DDBCB013.jpeg
    9591B609-4159-4AD4-BD4B-2F14DDBCB013.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 349
The back of your freewheel (cassette) is threaded and so is the motor (hub) and they screw in together. If crossthreaded, it wont go on all the way. Here's a picture I found on the web, it's not an ebike, but shows the threading. View attachment 40398. You'll get the idea

Ahhh I see, intersting.. has anyone else had any issues with the cassette being cross-threaded from the factory? I am normally used to slotted rear cassettes that don't have threads, but if I remember correctly, my old 90's schwinn road bike had a rear cassette like this. You would think that if this was cross-threaded, it wouldn't be in a nice flat plane and would make all sorts of noise in almost every gear.

That being said, I don't see any visible threads looking down close, and everything appears to be snug and tight and close. Guess I will need to wait and see what others say for comparison, I'm very curious to find out.

Ahhh I see, intersting.. has anyone else had any issues with the cassette being cross-threaded from the factory? I am normally used to slotted rear cassettes that don't have threads, but if I remember correctly, my old 90's schwinn road bike had a rear cassette like this. You would think that if this was cross-threaded, it wouldn't be in a nice flat plane and would make all sorts of noise in almost every gear.

That being said, I don't see any visible threads looking down close, and everything appears to be snug and tight and close. Guess I will need to wait and see what others say for comparison, I'm very curious to find out.
I would think that if it is really cross threaded, you would see a little "wobble" of the cassette as you turned the wheel. It doesn't have to be cross threaded, I was just entertaining the possibility that the cassette is farther out for some reason. maybe threaded correctly, but something (manufacture defect) is preventing it from seating correctly.

Back