Lectric XP premium chain guard

susyn

Region
USA
Hi,
Has anyone had any luck finding a chain guard for the Lectric XP premium? I would like one that is shaped like a comma so my clothing and such doesn't get caught in the chain or get grease on it.
I have contacted Lectric bike company but they are beyond frustrating in their refusal to answer the question. They neither make one nor can or will recommend an after market product. I will not recommend nor buy another bike from a company that frustrates me to the point they have, I didn't know if anyone else had a similar problem of their clothing getting dirtied and or caught in chains like I have and has figured out a way to get a chain guard on it. Since I am not an engineer and the people that are engineers at the Lectric bike company refuse to give me a recommendation, I am throwing myself on the forum in the hopes that someone has a solution for a mid drive motor e-bike chain guard.

I just use a pant leg strap to keep my lower right leg away from the chain. Technically the front sprocket has a chain guard already, but I'm like you and wan't it covered better-but that is on every bicycle I've ever owned. You could make something yourself or ask a local bike shop if they have any creative ideas. Slightly off subject but if you get a pant leg or shoe lace stuck in a belt drive bike it has a bonus fun factor of untangling yourself from the belt. The front sprocket doesn't freewheel backwards!

I was half debating removing my chain and cleaning it and the sprockets and using chain wax instead of chain lube. I used chain wax on all my bicycles in the past and its generally much cleaner. I think the Lectric factory uses cheap chain lube like all the other Chinese factories. Wait till you have to go into a hub or bottom bracket, the Chinese only use a Qtip dab of bearing grease per bearing side. But try chain wax or just clean the chain and gears and apply better quality chain lube.

I wonder why someone on Etsy hasn't made a chain guard for the XP, and other Lectric bikes, yet. My chain on my XPedition is extra oily as well. Might pull that and do chain wax.

I am sure there is one out there, either on Amazon or eBay. But for all the decades I've been riding I've used a cheap metal clip to fold my pantsleg and keep it far away from grease.

The folks at Lectric have been nothing but helpful to me over the past few years. Perhaps they don't have a recommendation because the question is rare--I would doubt it's because they don't want to help.

By the way, lubrication on the rollers does little. The wear happens inside the pivot points, and the only way to reach there is to spray the sides of the chain.

pant clips don't help if you have short legs. i need a chain guard. the geometry of the angle of short legs means you get grease on your legs or pants. chain wax may help, but the first bit of dirt on it and i am back to getting crap on me clothing when i mount and dismount

Back