Lectric XP and steep hills

The problem is the gearing in the XP, I am changing mine to a 11-34T for that same reason. I have read on other forums that it is a night and day difference. You get a lower first gear and a higher 7th gear so you don't get that ghost peddling and can maintain higher speeds easily. The Radrunner already has the 11-34T gearing in it from what I read. Now if this does not work down the road I will do a rework of the bike and get a magic Pie Motor kit for $395 its a 1000 watt fat tire kit, they have all sizes of hubs and wheels.
Hello, Pretty interesting idea to do the Pie Motor kit. Do you have a link to what you are thinking of putting on the bike?

The problem is the gearing in the XP, I am changing mine to a 11-34T for that same reason. I have read on other forums that it is a night and day difference. You get a lower first gear and a higher 7th gear so you don't get that ghost peddling and can maintain higher speeds easily. The Radrunner already has the 11-34T gearing in it from what I read. Now if this does not work down the road I will do a rework of the bike and get a magic Pie Motor kit for $395 its a 1000 watt fat tire kit, they have all sizes of hubs and wheels.
OK what a difference the 11-34T gears make it is night and day, I made it up a very steep hill had to work but the bike gearing is so much better.

Attachments

• 20200710_143443.jpg
    20200710_143443.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 399
Hello, Pretty interesting idea to do the Pie Motor kit. Do you have a link to what you are thinking of putting on the bike?
I do

Magic Pie Motor Kit for E-Bike
Contents:
1. Magic Pie motorized wheel (hub motor mounted in the rim)
2. Sine wave controller (built-in-motor)
3. Throttle with LED battery gauge (thumb or twist)
4. Brake levers (to cut off power and activate regenerative braking)
5. Control switch (cruise, horn, etc)
6. Wires and plugs (all necessary to install kit on your bike)
7. 20x4.0 fat tyre and tube
Kasen
00:03:58
$370

I had a nice chat about the kit with Kasen and I am convinced when this hub is out of warranty and goes bad I will invest in this kit. Plus I love the wheels and I can use my existing batteries if they are still good.

Attachments

• img_20170119_100338.jpg
    img_20170119_100338.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 342
I do

Magic Pie Motor Kit for E-Bike
Contents:
1. Magic Pie motorized wheel (hub motor mounted in the rim)
2. Sine wave controller (built-in-motor)
3. Throttle with LED battery gauge (thumb or twist)
4. Brake levers (to cut off power and activate regenerative braking)
5. Control switch (cruise, horn, etc)
6. Wires and plugs (all necessary to install kit on your bike)
7. 20x4.0 fat tyre and tube
Kasen
00:03:58
$370

I had a nice chat about the kit with Kasen and I am convinced when this hub is out of warranty and goes bad I will invest in this kit. Plus I love the wheels and I can use my existing batteries if they are still good.
I thought you were thinking of doing a 2 hub rig. Would probably do well for steep hills. Looks cool. Keep us updated if you go that route. Thanks,

I was watching Youtube and found that Bolton Bikes offers a new controller upgrade for the Radrunner bikes. The price is $205 and from what the video indicates its worth every penny. The difference of opinion over the controllers might have been settled by Bolton. The new controller has turned a 750-watt bike into a 1200 watt bike. I am hoping someone comes out with an XP upgraded controller that is plug and play.

I put A BBSHD on mine and I have so much power I don't have to even pedal up the steepest inclines if i did not want to! Best part, you can install it with the other motor still intact and use them BOTH!!
You put a bbshd on a lectric xp?

I don't wish to hijack this thread, but perhaps someone could answer a related question on amps and watts, still new at all this.

I'm trying to decide between 36v and 48v 500 watt motors - mid-drive or hub, but primarily hub for a Specialized Roll, but unclear of what the difference in volts makes for speed or power.
I'm also curious about the comment upthread about just two motor sizes for bafang hubs. Their watts rating is based on volts then, for several combinations - 36/350/500 and 48/500/750/1000?
I didn't realize the higher watt motor was actually larger as well, for either hub drive or mid-drive. The 1000watt must be with 52v then and a controller to provide enough amps.

Wifey surely doesn't need or want 28mph, but 15-18 would probly be great, and some help with hills. I was thinking mid-drive, but now moving to the hub concept, they're cheaper and she can just coast along with a throttle - that's her riding style. We're old, she's no speed demon, and my motorcycle days are over. LOL Casual paved path riders here.
Did you find a setup that works for you ...I might have an Idea for you if you didn't BIKE.jpg

I love this idea. Once my XP is out of warranty I want to try something like this but I am afraid to until I see an example of it being done so I know if it is worth it.

This is the best and cheapest "fix". Just change the gearing and you're good to go. If you're not in a hurry, this will work. Someone mentioned seating position earlier, and that's a great point. Our body is optimized to work in certain positions. Adjust your seat and handle bar so you can put more power into the bike. The XP gives out really good power-even for a fat bike. Last week, I did 32 miles and 5,500 ft elevation and had 47.4V left. It was a work out, but that's expected for that kind of elevation.

FWIW, running at PAS 4 or 5 doesn't help once your speed is too slow. It just doesn't have the torque. You'll need to increase your cadence (gearing change) for the hub motor to move along.

This is the best and cheapest "fix". Just change the gearing and you're good to go. If you're not in a hurry, this will work. Someone mentioned seating position earlier, and that's a great point. Our body is optimized to work in certain positions. Adjust your seat and handle bar so you can put more power into the bike. The XP gives out really good power-even for a fat bike. Last week, I did 32 miles and 5,500 ft elevation and had 47.4V left. It was a work out, but that's expected for that kind of elevation.

FWIW, running at PAS 4 or 5 doesn't help once your speed is too slow. It just doesn't have the torque. You'll need to increase your cadence (gearing change) for the hub motor to move along.
How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? I weigh 260 and got and additional 7 pounds of gear. I get roughly 15 to 25 miles. Have you heard of upgrade the battery as in instead on 10.4 mah putting a 14 would that improve range?

Agreed.

In my limited experience with the rear hub on my Espin Sport (a Bafang 500w), gear shifting in relation to PAS really matters when navigating hills (just like regular gearing). If a hill is so steep that the lower PAS don't work, using the higher PAS but staying in the lower gears should help.

How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? I weigh 260 and got and additional 7 pounds of gear. I get roughly 15 to 25 miles. Have you heard of upgrade the battery as in instead on 10.4 mah putting a 14 would that improve range?
Sorry about the late response. I missed the notice. I was 158. I'm 152 now. I think changing the gearing is a great thing. I don't see a point of trying to go fast on this bike, but I do think it'll be great if it can climb better. To increase range, the best thing is probably to go with dual batteries and not 1 large one.

Back