Corporall Clegg

Region
USA
I have just received my May 26 Lectric order for two white step-through XP2.0 units.

The following is based on the single unit that has been unboxed and pre ride tested. I have the second unit still boxed and it will remain so with the anticipation of return of both units dependent on Lectrics response to the following issues below exhibited in said tested unit.

The powered hub is exhibiting significant freewheel wobble causing excessive vibration of the bike.

The front rotor is significantly bent, so much so that no brake adjustment is warranted.

I have included video links for said issues.Freewheel Wobble Freewheel Wobble 2 Vibration Rear Vibration Front Front Brake Rotor

I have surmised that both of these issues are severe defects that inhibit the use and longevity of this product. In my understanding, freewheel wobble can cause premature bearing failure, uneven tire wear and excessive rotor and brake wear and in my opinion the excessive vibration associated with said wobble will shorten the life of the product as a whole.

I have a limited understanding of Ebikes and bike mechanics in general therefore claim no expertise on the subject. I work on heavy equipment and the hydraulic systems associated with them as well as standard automobile and small equipment engines so I have a fairly verbose understanding of mechanics in general, that being said, I am open to any and all suggestions on how or if these issues can be resolved through repair in place of return and would hope some of the experts within this forum may have some insight and advice regarding such.

First off I am sure from my personal experience Lectric customer service will come through and address the problems you report. The brake rotors on a bicycle are not the same as in a automobile or other larger equipment. The rotor is intentionally lightweight like all bicycle parts (within reason while being economical). It is common for the rotor to get bent in shipping, when you lay your bike down on it's side (little woops accident) etc. Most owners learn to bend the rotor back into position and those that are apprehensive will take the bike to the local bike shop where the mechanic will charge $5 to $20 to straighten it in a matter of minutes, there is actually a tool that is used just for this purpose available here on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-DT...ords=bicycle+rotor+tool&qid=1629745683&sr=8-2. Your local bike shop will also be able to check the "true" of the wheels at the same time (my bike shop charges $15 if the wheel needs to be trued) Lectric will likely credit your payment method for the bike the amount charged (they did for me when my bike shop where I work had to replace bearings and cones in my wheel). Bear in mind that a bicycle is NOT a precision mechanical machine, even the wheel bearings are loose cup and cone style and they are the only parts "machined" with the exception of fasteners and a few internal parts on the motor. The wheels do not get balanced like a car since a bicycle has such a lower top speed, so I suspect the wobble in your video is just a normal reflection of the wheels not being balanced like a car would be. The bicycle wheel is actually designed to give a little and the spokes are adjusted to allow a little give as the bike moves forward as part of the overall suspension so it is important to rate the proper adjustments while riding instead of with the back propped up. The center hub is not perfectly in the center of the wheel but will maintain the same distance from the hub to the ground when the bike and riders weight are loaded due to the slight flex of the spokes (its why they are laced at an angle). Hope this helps re-assure you and clear some things up.

In my case they did not "Come though" or "Address the problems", they completely disregarded them… I spoke with Lectric, they stated freewheel wobble was "A standard", they also stated that they design their rotors, brakes, rims, and bearings to withstand the excessive vibration they claim is "Normal". The lead tech from Lectric stated "Vibration will not affect the ride".

I’m glad you had a positive experience, if I may, what factory defect or significant issue was it that you had a positive experience in obtaining a resolution with Lectric? I do have the option of sending the unused defective items back at my cost of $270.00 per unit and incurring restocking fees. If I did not take possession of two units I would probably do just that.

Paying a $560.00 return shipping fee, plus an unstated restocking fee to return items that arrived with known factory defects 6 weeks late is a hard pill to swallow. If I can’t figure out reasonable repair for my brand new, unused Ebikes it’s a pill I am willing to choke down.

The powered hub is exhibiting significant freewheel wobble causing excessive vibration of the bike.

The front rotor is significantly bent, so much so that no brake adjustment is warranted.
Have you tried the bike and powered hub with the weight of a rider on the bike? it’s hard to see in the video anything i would characterize as excessive vibration. (could also remove those spoke reflectors if you’re concerned about dynamic wheel balancing)

Slime added to tubes could also benefit dynamic wheel balancing if you use a sufficient amount.

as others have mentioned disc rotors commonly get bent or warped for all sorts of reasons but are easily “fixed” by the user or by a local LBS. likewise spokes may need regular attention and adjustment as the hub motor puts a lot of stress on spokes.

I get the sense you might be a better candidate for an ebike with good LBS support. the Lectric is really like a $400 bike at best with a $200 battery and enough markup to cover some profit.

for its price i think it’s a good value. it’s not a precision timepiece more of a utility tractor.

But $500 is a lot to spend out of pocket to get $1500 back for two bikes returned.

you mention not having much experience with bikes.

this is one of the cheapest ebikes on the market except for a few walmart and amazon models. even much more expensive bikes don’t have as precise tolerances as a combustion engine or industrial hydraulics would.

is difficult to tell from this vantage point if the issues you mention and the expectations you have are reasonable or unreasonable in the ebike industry at this price point but if it were me i’d make an assessment based on ride quality before spending a lot of money to return it.

In my case they did not "Come though" or "Address the problems", they completely disregarded them… I spoke with Lectric, they stated freewheel wobble was "A standard", they also stated that they design their rotors, brakes, rims, and bearings to withstand the excessive vibration they claim is "Normal". The lead tech from Lectric stated "Vibration will not affect the ride".

I’m glad you had a positive experience, if I may, what factory defect or significant issue was it that you had a positive experience in obtaining a resolution with Lectric? I do have the option of sending the unused defective items back at my cost of $270.00 per unit and incurring restocking fees. If I did not take possession of two units I would probably do just that.

Paying a $560.00 return shipping fee, plus an unstated restocking fee to return items that arrived with known factory defects 6 weeks late is a hard pill to swallow. If I can’t figure out reasonable repair for my brand new, unused Ebikes it’s a pill I am willing to choke down.

The issue I had was prior to the year warranty was up and after riding the bike 2235 miles, the front wheel bearings started squeaking and I took the bike to work (I work at a local bike shop) I had to replace the bearings & cone nuts and contacted Lectric with our standard rate to repair and replace, they credited back our shop rate plus a bit more for the inconvenience.
I'm concerned I may have given you more complicated explanation in my first response on your issue, I'll try to simplify. The engineering of bicycle wheels is such that when there is no weight on the wheel it will not function in the right way unless you actually ride it. The wheel expects the weight of the bike, the rider and a forward motion to function properly. The hub is not in the exact center of the wheel so when you spin it while up in the air it will wobble. Once you place the bicycle on the ground and ride it, the spokes flex just enough so that the hub maintains the same distance to the ground and the wobble goes away. The wheel is not a hard rim like a car, it flexes to maintain a level ride and absorb small bumps. You cannot determine the health of a bicycle wheel by spinning it in mid air at a high speed. If you feel wobble or vibration while riding then take the bike to your local bike shop and find out why it is wobbling and provide that information to Lectric as well as the issue with the front rotor. It's possible the wheel is out of tru, and a simple adjustment to the rotor will cure the brake issue you describe. Lectric will likely refund the cost the bike shop charges you and it likely will be in the amount around $30-40. If you are unwilling to risk around $30-40 that Lectric likely will refund you, then by all means spend the $560 to return it and purchase a $3500 ebike from your local shop. Our shop does not sell ebikes otherwise I would have purchased one from them. I was surprised at how good for the price the Lectric was and I'm impressed with how mine has held up. Hope this clears things up for you and helps.

this is one of the cheapest ebikes on the market except for a few walmart and amazon models. even much more expensive bikes don’t have as precise tolerances as a combustion engine or industrial hydraulics would.

is difficult to tell from this vantage point if the issues you mention and the expectations you have are reasonable or unreasonable in the ebike industry at this price point but if it were me i’d make an assessment based on ride quality before spending a lot of money to return it.

I consider freewheel wobble unreasonable and a product of poor manufacturing and inspection. Apparently per Lectric techs -all- hub motors exhibit wobble. Most of you have more insight into that specific subject then I. Is Lectric correct in saying -all- hub motors exhibit wobble? Dose that always translate into excessive rider felt vibration?

I do not expect this to be more than it is advertised to be, I expect it to be exactly what it is advertised to be. The manufacture warranty states LECTRIC EBIKES WARRANTS TO THE ORIGINAL REGISTERED PURCHASER THAT LECTRIC eBIKES SHALL BE FREE FROM ALL DEFECTS IN MATERIAL AND WORKMANSHIP forgive the caps it’s a copy paste from the warranty page. If all hub motors exhibit freewheel wobble and that translates that into vibration the rider feels then this is product is as advertised. If not, and I am going to go out on a limb and say excessive rider felt vibration due to freewheel wobble is not a standard of ebikes then it is a defect and should be repaired by the distributor.

Have you tried the bike and powered hub with the weight of a rider on the bike? it’s hard to see in the video anything i would characterize as excessive vibration. (could also remove those spoke reflectors if you’re concerned about dynamic wheel balancing)

Slime added to tubes could also benefit dynamic wheel balancing if you use a sufficient amount.

as others have mentioned disc rotors commonly get bent or warped for all sorts of reasons but are easily “fixed” by the user or by a local LBS. likewise spokes may need regular attention and adjustment as the hub motor puts a lot of stress on spokes.

I get the sense you might be a better candidate for an ebike with good LBS support. the Lectric is really like a $400 bike at best with a $200 battery and enough markup to cover some profit.

for its price i think it’s a good value. it’s not a precision timepiece more of a utility tractor.

But $500 is a lot to spend out of pocket to get $1500 back for two bikes returned.

Yes I tried it with a rider. Did you see the front and back videos of the bike while it's elevated?

I would hope to hot have to modify the unit to make it functional but I appreciate your suggestions and will consider them.

I am more than capable of repairing, if not rebuilding this bike, in truth the only reason I purchased them is because my wife asked it of me and I did not have the time to research, part-out and build a pair of them for us, she also preferred the folding option and tig welding is not one of my skill sets. LBS are not an option where I live, it is rural to say the least.

If it does what it is advertised to do then I agree it is a good price, I would wait to see it's longevity to determine it's value.

$570 minus the unknown restocking fee, not to mention waiting an extra 6 weeks beyond the advertised shipping date. All in all a great customer service experience thus far...

The issue I had was prior to the year warranty was up and after riding the bike 2235 miles, the front wheel bearings started squeaking and I took the bike to work (I work at a local bike shop) I had to replace the bearings & cone nuts and contacted Lectric with our standard rate to repair and replace, they credited back our shop rate plus a bit more for the inconvenience.
I'm concerned I may have given you more complicated explanation in my first response on your issue, I'll try to simplify. The engineering of bicycle wheels is such that when there is no weight on the wheel it will not function in the right way unless you actually ride it. The wheel expects the weight of the bike, the rider and a forward motion to function properly. The hub is not in the exact center of the wheel so when you spin it while up in the air it will wobble. Once you place the bicycle on the ground and ride it, the spokes flex just enough so that the hub maintains the same distance to the ground and the wobble goes away. The wheel is not a hard rim like a car, it flexes to maintain a level ride and absorb small bumps. You cannot determine the health of a bicycle wheel by spinning it in mid air at a high speed. If you feel wobble or vibration while riding then take the bike to your local bike shop and find out why it is wobbling and provide that information to Lectric as well as the issue with the front rotor. It's possible the wheel is out of tru, and a simple adjustment to the rotor will cure the brake issue you describe. Lectric will likely refund the cost the bike shop charges you and it likely will be in the amount around $30-40. If you are unwilling to risk around $30-40 that Lectric likely will refund you, then by all means spend the $560 to return it and purchase a $3500 ebike from your local shop. Our shop does not sell ebikes otherwise I would have purchased one from them. I was surprised at how good for the price the Lectric was and I'm impressed with how mine has held up. Hope this clears things up for you and helps.
Sounds like you where an early adopter, seems like they may have reached the too big to fail category by the time I came along. Not to mention you have to consider that fact that luck plays a part in the quality of anything that comes out of China.

sorry can’t help much more as i can’t experience what you’re experiencing.

what johnny rocky mentiined regarding rider weight on the bike is accurate. i watched all the videos but to me they look pretty standard for bikes of this sort. not saying it’s not an issue, just saying that a warped brake rotor is VERY common and not unique to Lectric. (not making any excuses for them just mentioning i wouldn’t be filing a warranty claim for such a thing)

the motor wobble issue, for me the test would be while riding it at proper tire pressure. as johnny described. also that spoke reflector could be introducing some balance issues when the bike is simply freewheeling while supported on a box that may not show up when being ridden perhaps.

i guess since you have another bike you could evaluate that hub/wheel to verify if it exhibits the same issue, or is markedly better or worse and then have more data points to evaluate upon.

viewing the rear wheel wobble videos once again i cannot detect a wobble. listening i hear what sounds like a bit of chuf chuf chuf in rhythmic fashion on the rear brake rotors, perhaps the inside brake pad is adjusted slightly too close for a slightly warped disc rotor…. you could easily disconnect the rear brake caliper with two allen bolts to try the test against and see if the noise remains.

if it is the brake rotors i’m pretty sure you could get Lectric to send you new ones (though there’s a chance they also would be slightly warped)… depending on the type of riding you do, and how brakes are applied, it’s also possible to warp your own rotors and have to fix them eventually yourself.

i realize this may seem like i’m unsympathetic, but really i am just trying to understand the problem and it’s magnitude from the videos posted and what little i can see and hear from the vids appear to be common issues or perhaps even a misdiagnosis….

It feels like driving a car when more than one tire is out of balance.

Are both of the bikes out of balance? You may want to call around and find a bike shop that will true your wheels and straighten out your rotor. Cant imagine it would be more that 150 bucks. Probably better that than shipping back to Lectric. I never had any problems with my XP and Lectric has always responded to any questions or issues. My on off power button cracked and they sent me a new one within a few days. No charge. The little rubber plug that covers the charging port wouldn't fit tightly-they sent me two new ones.

When riding the bike there should not be a feeling like the wheel is out of balance. If so there is an issue with the wheel. If it were me, I'd ride the other as it is rare for two bikes even when coming from the same factory to have identical problems. Then when the one bike rides smooth you have a better position to argue for a replacement wheel to be sent. What area of the country are you in? Maybe there is an active member near you.

sorry can’t help much more as i can’t experience what you’re experiencing.

what johnny rocky mentiined regarding rider weight on the bike is accurate. i watched all the videos but to me they look pretty standard for bikes of this sort. not saying it’s not an issue, just saying that a warped brake rotor is VERY common and not unique to Lectric. (not making any excuses for them just mentioning i wouldn’t be filing a warranty claim for such a thing)

the motor wobble issue, for me the test would be while riding it at proper tire pressure. as johnny described. also that spoke reflector could be introducing some balance issues when the bike is simply freewheeling while supported on a box that may not show up when being ridden perhaps.

i guess since you have another bike you could evaluate that hub/wheel to verify if it exhibits the same issue, or is markedly better or worse and then have more data points to evaluate upon.

viewing the rear wheel wobble videos once again i cannot detect a wobble. listening i hear what sounds like a bit of chuf chuf chuf in rhythmic fashion on the rear brake rotors, perhaps the inside brake pad is adjusted slightly too close for a slightly warped disc rotor…. you could easily disconnect the rear brake caliper with two allen bolts to try the test against and see if the noise remains.

if it is the brake rotors i’m pretty sure you could get Lectric to send you new ones (though there’s a chance they also would be slightly warped)… depending on the type of riding you do, and how brakes are applied, it’s also possible to warp your own rotors and have to fix them eventually yourself.

i realize this may seem like i’m unsympathetic, but really i am just trying to understand the problem and it’s magnitude from the videos posted and what little i can see and hear from the vids appear to be common issues or perhaps even a misdiagnosis….
Watch this
you can set it to 1080p, right at the start the freewheel is wobbling and this
28 seconds in, keep an eye on the chain wrapped around the freewheel. No misdiagnosis, it's not a spoke issue or pressure issue, all of that has been checked and ruled out. The other post in this forum Lectric XP with out-of-round wheel shows a far more extreme freewheel wobble but in comparison it's the same type of wobble, mine being less pronounced. Both of my videos are hard to spot with the shadows in the room but more noticeable once you are comparing them to the other more extreme example in the other posters video. I expect no sympathy, I have seen the issue described here it first person, I have clarified it's source, it's one of those things, once you have seen it then you see nothing else within it. I was hoping that there may be a fix that someone here had applied like a freewheel replacement, other then that I appreciate you taking the time to look at the videos even if you missed the details and I also don't think your wrong when you say it is common, with Lectric, it clearly is, they admitted that much already.

Watch this
you can set it to 1080p, right at the start the freewheel is wobbling and this
28 seconds in, keep an eye on the chain wrapped around the freewheel. No misdiagnosis, it's not a spoke issue or pressure issue, all of that has been checked and ruled out. The other post in this forum Lectric XP with out-of-round wheel shows a far more extreme freewheel wobble but in comparison it's the same type of wobble, mine being less pronounced. Both of my videos are hard to spot with the shadows in the room but more noticeable once you are comparing them to the other more extreme example in the other posters video. I expect no sympathy, I have seen the issue described here it first person, I have clarified it's source, it's one of those things, once you have seen it then you see nothing else within it. I was hoping that there may be a fix that someone here had applied like a freewheel replacement, other then that I appreciate you taking the time to look at the videos even if you missed the details and I also don't think your wrong when you say it is common, with Lectric, it clearly is, they admitted that much already.
There is an easy fix. Put on a bigger freewheel. Many of us did it early on after receiving out XPs...

There is an easy fix. Put on a bigger freewheel. Many of us did it early on after receiving out XPs...
I have been doing a bit of reading the last few hours, from what I can surmise the threading of the hub can be the root of the freewheel wobble. I guess that is an unknown until the freewheel is replaced. What freewheel did you use and did you have wobble that was addressed by the replacement? Or did you preform the replacement for other reasons, I would assume a speed increase, I also assume this modification voids the factory warranty?

If freewheel replacement fixes a known factory defect then question arise...
Why should I have to pay to fix something that should be factory functional?
Why is Lectric allowed to violate the terms of their own warranty without consequence?
Why are people getting in line to wait twice as long as they are quoted at the date of purchase to receive factory defective products with the false premise of customer service?

Thanks for the tip, I will look into it and consider the costs and lost time opposed to the loss of returning the units.

I have been doing a bit of reading the last few hours, from what I can surmise the threading of the hub can be the root of the freewheel wobble. I guess that is an unknown until the freewheel is replaced. What freewheel did you use and did you have wobble that was addressed by the replacement? Or did you preform the replacement for other reasons, I would assume a speed increase, I also assume this modification voids the factory warranty?

Why is Lectric allowed to violate the terms of their own warranty without consequence?
Why are people getting in line to wait twice as long as they are quoted at the date of purchase to receive factory defective products with the false premise of customer service?

Thanks for the tip, I will look into it and consider the costs and lost time opposed to the loss of returning the units.
Yes, more speed and less ghost pedaling. I never noticed any unbalance or wobble on my XP.

Mr. Craig,
Add me to the list of happy owners with the same condition. It does NOT effect the way it operates at all. I also changed to a 11-28 freewheel. Well worth the effort. Lectric chose not to use that for what ever reason but that is what it came with. It is not a defect. I'm sure any competent mechanic, you or me included, can repair a slightly wobbly brake rotor. A lot easier then trying to send it back
My 2 cents, It is what it is. It was not made by Starrett and does not need to be. It is a very fun and useful toy sold at a reasonable price. I can fit two of them in a Honda HR-V plus luggage.
May I suggest we all temper out expectations and go out and enjoy the ride.

Scott

anecdotal i know but rumor was that Lectric would have liked to go with the 11-28 freewheel but there was either a supply or quality issue (or both) for the component.

i suspect some of the quality issues on some of these commodity components is at least partially related to the global demand for them by each and every manufacturer wanting them combined with unprecedented shortages.

i’d not be surprised if a brand rejecting an order of disc brake rotors for a minor out of spec condition resulted in 6 more months of waiting for resupply from that manufacturer. (it’s been widely reported the lead times on these components is longer than they’ve been for decades)

reading industry supply chain reports it certainly seems/feels like bike brands should feel thankful to get ANY component deliveries, regardless of quality and refusing acceptance or creating too much of a stink with supply chain could have them taken off a list and a competitor moves up in priority.

strange times we are in.

Back