Known Issues & Problems with Specialized Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I just encountered a strange problem with my 2022 Turbo Vado 5.0. while on my cycling vacation in Kansas a few weeks ago. The controller would start recycling while I was riding and after it booted up again, it would not let me change pas levels or try to change display screens. In fact, hitting any buttons on the controller handlebar switch would make the reboot process start again. It was doing this while I was riding, so when it started a reboot cycle I would loose all motor assistance until it was finished recycling. On top of this, the controller would not shut off unless I pulled the battery.

Once back from vacation, it started acting up again so off it went back to my local bike shop. I'm thinking faulty controller, controller control switch, battery or maybe even the motor. Got my Vado back a few days later and the dealer said the controller only needed a software update. Strange, since I thought it did it's updates when you have your phone connected to it, which I do every time I ride it.

Good news is that I have put over 100 miles on it since getting it back and it's been trouble free. So I'm sharing this experience with my fellow forum members in case they experience a similar issue. Ride safe, my friends!

I just encountered a strange problem with my 2022 Turbo Vado 5.0. while on my cycling vacation in Kansas a few weeks ago. The controller would start recycling while I was riding and after it booted up again, it would not let me change pas levels or try to change display screens. In fact, hitting any buttons on the controller handlebar switch would make the reboot process start again. It was doing this while I was riding, so when it started a reboot cycle I would loose all motor assistance until it was finished recycling. On top of this, the controller would not shut off unless I pulled the battery.

Once back from vacation, it started acting up again so off it went back to my local bike shop. I'm thinking faulty controller, controller control switch, battery or maybe even the motor. Got my Vado back a few days later and the dealer said the controller only needed a software update. Strange, since I thought it did it's updates when you have your phone connected to it, which I do every time I ride it.

Good news is that I have put over 100 miles on it since getting it back and it's been trouble free. So I'm sharing this experience with my fellow forum members in case they experience a similar issue. Ride safe, my friends!
Probably had something to do with the internet access where you were riding . I'm just guessing based on what I've had happen with my laptop and Phone on rare occasions .

Probably had something to do with the internet access where you were riding . I'm just guessing based on what I've had happen with my laptop and Phone on rare occasions .
Possibly, but other than when in the middle of Kansas, I normally have excellent signal strength on my iPhone. I probably should have asked more questions at the LBS. I'm not sure if my controller needs both software and firmware updates. I'm just happy to have it back and working properly. It's the best time of the year to ride! 😁

I thought updates were done by the user via the app too, but my app is currently telling me there is a firmware update and I need to bring it to the dealer to have them do it.

The batteries still need to go to the LBS for firmware updates per the video on the Specialized support page. It does not look like any of the steps are automatic updates.

Thanks for the information! I have two batteries and the LBS only updated the one on my bike when I took it in. I'll be curious to see if it starts acting up again when I use my spare battery?

An update on what I thought was a software issue with my controller.

My control systems started rebooting continuously again back on October 26 and I had to put my bike back in the shop again. This time the dealer went deeper into diagnosing the issue with Specialized, who approved a warranty claim for a new controller with the control switch and cables. It took almost a month to get the new parts, but I'm back on the road again.

Funny thing is the dealer just swapped out the controller switch with its new cables and everything is working properly again. He did give me the new controller that Specialized sent, in case mine acts up in the future. I'll be back with further updates if the problem returns, but fingers crossed that it doesn't.

Is anyone else having trouble with their bike not recognizing daylight saving's time???? Mine won't update today! The clock on the display is stuck 1 hour behind. Maybe this is a bug? I already connected my iPhone, and the display is not syncing with my iPhone's time. I have a Turbo Vado 4.0, 2022, with the latest firmware updates done by my LBS just a couple weeks ago.

Update: I figured out how to manually update the time by holding the + and - buttons, and using the menu. https://support.specialized.com/tur...-interface/mastermind-tcu-tcd-display-options

Last edited:
Mine didn't update today either. Thanks for the instructions on how to change it manually!
You're welcome. I think it's a bug. Specialized has been doing a few software and firmware updates lately so it probably slipped through the cracks. It was driving me wild, lol.

New (I think) question/request for help:
I have a Turbo Tero 5.0 and loved it for the first few weeks that I could ride then winter set in. However I have one problem. I use a phone mount/holder on my handlebars with an iPhone 12 Pro phone, and was powering the phone through the USB-C power port on the side of the Mastermind display. All was fine for the 8-10 rides. Then, without my making any changes, when I would plug the phone in to the cable connecting display and phone the phone would vibrate indicating that it was just connected to power but within a minute the power would cut off. I have tried several different cables from several different manufacturers, including an Apple-branded USB-C to Lightning cable and there is no continuous power. So, as I have tried an Apple branded cable I know the issue is not related to MiFi/certified issues, and because it powers the phone for a minute or so and then disconnects, even without the bike moving at all, I know it's not a connection issue.

Other than this issue, I LOVE this bike! I love having Komoot powered on while I ride but after 90 minutes or so my phone battery is pretty run down.

Any ideas?
Follow up to an almost year old thread: it appears that with latest Tero 5.0 update (maybe the other Tero’s as well I hope) Specialized upped the usb-c port out to 2 amps!!! I can now power/charge my iPhone 12 off the display module using the bike’s battery power.

I had the update to move from class 1 to 3 and it appears to include a fix for being able to charge a phone newer than the iPhone 8 and I am sure similarly for the better featured Androids made in the last 5 years which require 2amps.

Follow up to an almost year old thread: it appears that with latest Tero 5.0 update (maybe the other Tero’s as well I hope) Specialized upped the usb-c port out to 2 amps!!! I can now power/charge my iPhone 12 off the display module using the bike’s battery power.

I had the update to move from class 1 to 3 and it appears to include a fix for being able to charge a phone newer than the iPhone 8 and I am sure similarly for the better featured Androids made in the last 5 years which require 2amps.

Cool, this is why we love Specialized!

I recently purchased 2022 Vado 5.0 IGH bikes for my wife and I. Inexplicably, we're unable to access the cadence adjustment screen via a short-press of 'F2' on one of the bikes. The other bike operates as expected. I've scrutinized all Mastermind and Mission Control settings but have been unable to find a setting which would disable cadence adjustment.

Was this feature added via a SW update? Alternately, could the handlebar 'F2' touch button be defective - unable to send a short 'F2'?

Follow-up edit: Specialized telephone support diagnosed the problem as a faulty IGH or cable harness. I took it to the LBS for repair.

Last edited:
I recently purchased 2022 Vado 5.0 IGH bikes for my wife and I. Inexplicably, we're unable to access the cadence adjustment screen via a short-press of 'F2' on one of the bikes. The other bike operates as expected. I've scrutinized all Mastermind and Mission Control settings but have been unable to find a setting which would disable cadence adjustment.

Was this feature added via a SW update? Alternately, could the handlebar 'F2' touch button be defective - unable to send a short 'F2'?

Follow-up edit: Specialized telephone support diagnosed the problem as a faulty IGH or cable harness. I took it to the LBS for repair.
Sorry your brand new bike has given you trouble. Once fixed, I hope you get many, many miles of enjoyment. And welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've already put 1K miles on mine and am pleased with it.

According to the Specialized rep, the fault with the IGH on my wife's bike likely means it's operating in just one gear. Yet we went on a couple of 10-15 mile rides and she never mentioned it nor did she have any trouble keeping up. I just noticed that her cadence was always too low.

I'm sure the LBS will sort it all out.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've already put 1K miles on mine and am pleased with it.

According to the Specialized rep, the fault with the IGH on my wife's bike likely means it's operating in just one gear. Yet we went on a couple of 10-15 mile rides and she never mentioned it nor did she have any trouble keeping up. I just noticed that her cadence was always too low.

I'm sure the LBS will sort it all out.
Did this fix work? Having the same issue and LBS is claiming I need to wait for a new firmware update to be released.

Back