Known Issues & Problems with Specialized Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Also, see this thread:

Please do the BLOKS reset. I had this problem very early on my BLOKS Vado. You have to unscrew the locking screw, remove the display, locate the small silver point at the bottom of BLOKS and long-depress it with a small tool. That will reset the BLOKS.

Trust me, I was resetting the BLOKS for many times during 7 months I had to use that display. Eventually, Specialized replaced the BLOKS with TCD-w.

And BLOKS has never worked with Mission Control.
Wich app I need to use then? Or this bike not connecting with app?
Is it posibble that of BLOKS. problems bikes engine not working? :)

Wich app I need to use then? Or this bike not connecting with app?
Is it posibble that of BLOKS. problems bikes engine not working? :)
Please read carefully what I wrote.

• With a properly working BLOKS inserted in its holder the motor should work
  • Mission Control will not work with BLOKS
  • "Specialized Vado/Como Tune" app will work with BLOKS.
If your BLOKS works but the motor does not start you have a problem. Any chance to see a Specialized dealer for help?

No chance. In Lithuania we don't have Specialized official partner or store :) I called in every shop they don't have Vado plug-ing tu make a diagnostic on my bike.

Please do the BLOKS reset. I had this problem very early on my BLOKS Vado. You have to unscrew the locking screw, remove the display, locate the small silver point at the bottom of BLOKS and long-depress it with a small tool. That will reset the BLOKS.

Trust me, I was resetting the BLOKS for many times during 7 months I had to use that display. Eventually, Specialized replaced the BLOKS with TCD-w.

And BLOKS has never worked with Mission Control.
Interesting information, but the Creo uses the TCD. Also, as I have previously stated, the problem is unquestionably the battery. I have two RE batteries. When I replaced the problematic one with the other one all of the problems went away. I have ridden the bike a bit over 200 miles since making that change, and the bike has run flawlessly. Meanwhile, Specialized wants me to bring the bike in to the shop and run some tests using Mission Control Diagnostics that will be sent to them. I am doing that this morning. Hopefully, when we are done I will be able to go home with a new battery. Everyone is convinced the RE battery is at fault but Specialized. They continue to want to test every other possibility.

Saw this thread, and just wanted to send an update on my 2021Turbo Levo SL. I have been enjoying this successor to my 2016 Levo FSR. It's a great bike, much lighter, excellent handling, and though it has the lower power motor and battery range, it's been adequate. I added the RE battery to get rid of my range angst. The performance is excellent with only a slight irritation with the motor control in turbo when in the lowest gears. It seems the boost shuts off intermittently, and I think it has something to do with the cadence. If you don't spin consistently fast, the boost is interrupted. I've learned to get around it by being careful not to go too low, which means you don't have to spin as fast. I recently bought the Bennies platform pedals with "real" grips, and find them outstanding, with zero slipping. The original run of the mill plastic pedals failed very quickly, and I had replaced them with Shimano platform pedals, but they had almost no grip, and my feet kept on sliding off the pedals.

No chance. In Lithuania we don't have Specialized official partner or store :) I called in every shop they don't have Vado plug-ing tu make a diagnostic on my bike.
Sad to hear it.
Specialized claim there are 3 dealers in Vilnius and 1 in Kaunas.
Use the link and enter your city name.

Otherwise I do not know how to help you.

Interesting information, but the Creo uses the TCD. Also, as I have previously stated, the problem is unquestionably the battery. I have two RE batteries. When I replaced the problematic one with the other one all of the problems went away. I have ridden the bike a bit over 200 miles since making that change, and the bike has run flawlessly. Meanwhile, Specialized wants me to bring the bike in to the shop and run some tests using Mission Control Diagnostics that will be sent to them. I am doing that this morning. Hopefully, when we are done I will be able to go home with a new battery. Everyone is convinced the RE battery is at fault but Specialized. They continue to want to test every other possibility.
Ya but @kitojplanetoj was asking about the BLOKS equipped full power Vado 2.0.
As I was using a similar e-bike (2017 Vado 5.0 w/ BLOKS), I understand the nature of his problem, which has nothing to do with SL e-bikes.

I was called by the bike shop yesterday telling me that Specialized wanted to use the Diagnostics in Mission Control to see if they could see what was going on with the battery. I had to drive down to the shop since they had the battery. We hooked everything up, ran Mission Control, and sent the file to Specialized. Then the mech called Specialized and reached the person who had requested the test. They spoke for about 5 minutes, the Specialized tech looked at the data, apparently saw some glitch in the battery, and authorized the shop to replace it. Done Deal.
BTW, Creos don't have BLOKS, they come with TCUs.

Just to add a postscript to my previous posts. I took the bike into the shop. We connected it to Mission Control Diagnostics app. Then it was sent to Specialized. The mechanic then called the Specialized Tech who he had been in email contact with. They spoke for several minutes during which time the tech was able to examine the data on the battery. He then authorized the shop to give me a new RE battery. I used that battery for three rides. It performed faultlessly over a distance of 150 miles. Additionally, the number of miles per bar on the TCU was increased by between 1.5 and 2 miles per bar. I wanted to see if this was due to the newness of the battery or the firmware update which was preinstalled in the new battery. I swapped out the new battery for my older one which had gotten the firmware update when I brought the bike to the shop most recently. The newly increased mileage was also present in the older battery with new firmware. I would certainly recommend that anyone using a Specialized RE battery that has not been updated get it in to a shop and have the update installed.

Just to add a postscript to my previous posts. I took the bike into the shop. We connected it to Mission Control Diagnostics app. Then it was sent to Specialized. The mechanic then called the Specialized Tech who he had been in email contact with. They spoke for several minutes during which time the tech was able to examine the data on the battery. He then authorized the shop to give me a new RE battery. I used that battery for three rides. It performed faultlessly over a distance of 150 miles. Additionally, the number of miles per bar on the TCU was increased by between 1.5 and 2 miles per bar. I wanted to see if this was due to the newness of the battery or the firmware update which was preinstalled in the new battery. I swapped out the new battery for my older one which had gotten the firmware update when I brought the bike to the shop most recently. The newly increased mileage was also present in the older battery with new firmware. I would certainly recommend that anyone using a Specialized RE battery that has not been updated get it in to a shop and have the update installed.

Great information lastos. Really never thought about upgrading firmware on my battery but will now.

I was really skeptical about firmware upgrades, I have the first set of ETap sold in the state of Washington on my BMC. They provided a thumb drive with the hardware for future updates, but it never came. Specialized really wants their ebikes to prove worth the cost. They are continuing to test updates to try to improve the experience of their customers. They have convinced me. I am really pleased. They have replaced two defective batteries for me in the last two years with minimum hassle. I am impressed with them. I also had a Diverge which developed a problem with the real hub. It wasn't an obvious problem. It took a first class mechanic several hours over a few days to finally diagnose the problem. Specialized had the dealer take a wheel off of a new bike in the shop's stock for me and sent a replacement to the shop to replace it. They have had some difficult times through the pandemic, but they are in recovery and making every effort to keep their customers happy.

My wife's Turbo Tero 5.0 died yesterday. She described the problem to me as "cutting out" during our ride. The second time she complained, Mission Control displayed error 258, and after restarting the bike a few times we were able to finish our ride. Any idea what error 258 means? I will take the bike to my LBS today or tomorrow. Yesterday is not the first time the bike has had motor related issues; this will be the 5th or 6th time that I can recall.

Mission Control did state "The motor had an internal error". Per Specialized RIder Care (I just had a conversation with them), error 258 signifies a possible torque sensor error. The bike is on the way to the LBS.

Has anyone installed mag wheels on a Vado as a way of overcoming the broken spoke problem?
Like an Aerospoke or something? I suppose it's all a matter of finding wheels spec'd in the correct size, also don't forget the rear is boost spacing (depending on year of bike) and needs to be 6 bolt for the magnet.

If you want something strong I'd go with a handbuilt set of Velocity Aileron's, 32 or 36h to some DT 370 hubs with straight gauge spokes laced 3x. I've put folks well past 300lbs on stuff like that just fine.

The motor, main harness and I think the harness to the TCU were replaced under warranty at 1208 miles. I also had some OR8 swept bars installed, of which my wife approves. I am curious to see how she likes them on off-road climbing trails. I will report back.......

Back