Known Issues & Problems with Specialized Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I get that. But I fail to see the validity of the argument that says because folks are working from home, they can't communicate in as timely a manner as working from the office.

I also understand about disrupted supply chains, but in this case, after several forthright conversations with the dealer, who used to work at Specialized corporate, supply availability was not the limiting factor.
The choke point was a less-than-helpful attitude in one representative who took way too long to answer basic questions and offer next-step guidance to satisfying a warranty request.

If those kinds of breakdowns don't get fixed, then, IMHO, there won't BE any normal times! I hope senior management gets on this and fast, because they're a great brand.

And still, after all that wait, what a glorious machine!
And here we are in September 2023, and unfortunately I think slow response time from Specialized is still typical. My LBS is awaiting a reply from Specialized on two bikes. In my case, we haven't even received acknowledgement of receipt of the Mission Control diagnostics file. My Turbo Vado SL 4.0 powered off during a ride and I've not been able to power it back on ever since except when it's charging. The limited amount of data that was gathered by the LBS diagnostic tool (which I assume connects via the USB port on the TCU) was sent to Specialized over a week ago and there's been no response yet - not even acknowledgement of receipt of the file. The bottleneck on communication, at least for me, will be a key consideration when buying our next eBike.

Last edited:
I picked up a brand new Tero X 5 yesterday that I had ordered. It was an awesome bike for about 20 miles until the display shut off. I went back to the bike shop and they believe the issue is with a control port on the motor. The display work when plugged into their laptop and using their diagnostic tools. It showed that the motor was undetected. They eliminated a wiring issue. It seems like the motor itself is fine, just the port on the motor has malfunctioned. The solution is that they’re replacing the motor. I should have the bike back on Monday. So if you’re keeping score, I had the bike for a little over an hour and it will be in the shop for a couple days. I’m thankful for the quick turnaround, though. I believe this will ultimately be a fluke issue and the bike will be awesome.

Vado SL headlight shorting out. I do not often ride at night but did so yesterday. My headlight was shorting out on and off throughout my ride.... And much to my surprise. This may have been occurring for quite some time but I wouldn't know. As much as I tapped on the headlight or the wire leading into the headlight, I could not produce the problem. Modest fiddling with the wire that heads into my frame did, however, exhibit the problem.

Has anybody had this issue? Any help with a solution would be welcome.

Vado SL headlight shorting out. I do not often ride at night but did so yesterday. My headlight was shorting out on and off throughout my ride.... And much to my surprise. This may have been occurring for quite some time but I wouldn't know. As much as I tapped on the headlight or the wire leading into the headlight, I could not produce the problem. Modest fiddling with the wire that heads into my frame did, however, exhibit the problem.

Has anybody had this issue? Any help with a solution would be welcome.
The wires connect to the system in the frame space under the TCU with two 3mm male spade connectors and possibly one of them is loose. Do a search for p/n S205800002 to find a photo of the spare part light with wire and connectors. The TCU screw is a very small Torx.

The wires connect to the system in the frame space under the TCU with two 3mm male spade connectors and possibly one of them is loose. Do a search for p/n S205800002 to find a photo of the spare part light with wire and connectors. The TCU screw is a very small Torx.

Thanks much. I'll take a look as this sounds easy enough. I had feared that connections might be down at the motor/bottom bracket area. Fingers crossed.

A good reference is https://support.specialized.com. Lights are in the Vado SL section. Sometimes you need to look at the Creo section because even though they are the same system they don't duplicate all of the common information so something useful may be in one but not the other. There is a section on the TCU as well. Looks like it takes a T-10 wrench.

Edit: The Creo 2 Rider Workbook has a section on lights. There is nothing new to the information on this forum but it's in the Specialized documents now. They list a few compatible lights. This may allow a dealer to install lights.

Last edited:
I mentioned in another thread that the new Tero 3.0 I bought the battery didn't drop out when you unlocked it, but you had to stick a flat bladed screwdriver or something to get it loose.

I took it to the LBS today to have them look at it. Was a bit disappointed by their initial reaction that it sometimes does this and nothing they could do. I pushed a bit as I really want the battery to come out easily like it should. I told them I had already tried putting some silicone grease on the rubber seal and that didn't seem to help, it appeared to me like it was rubbing against the bottom latch.

Anyway, I left the bike with them and an hour later they called and said they fixed it. I think my description of it rubbing on the bottom catch helped as he said he was able to adjust the position of the latch while the battery was locked in place. So not exactly sure where these screws are located but there is some fine adjustment for the latch.

Globe Haul ST - Battery and Controller communication error code (B-032 and C-032). Appears to be common. Previously attributed to too much lube on the connectors. Mine is still being worked but Specialized and my LBS are working together to resolve it.
I am comfortable calling it known because no one at my LBS or Specialized seemed suprised.

v/r r

Back