Known Issues & Problems with Specialized Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I suppose my comment was to show how quickly things can happen if you know how to communicate and work WITH folks.

Solutions oriented thinking goes a long way. Those of us in the industry need to align our interest, the rider. Take care of the rider and it all falls into place...most of the time anyways.
If it wasn't for this type of thinking I'd still be waiting for a battery:). And probably bought another bike........

We don't live in normal times, Bill...
I get that. But I fail to see the validity of the argument that says because folks are working from home, they can't communicate in as timely a manner as working from the office.

I also understand about disrupted supply chains, but in this case, after several forthright conversations with the dealer, who used to work at Specialized corporate, supply availability was not the limiting factor.
The choke point was a less-than-helpful attitude in one representative who took way too long to answer basic questions and offer next-step guidance to satisfying a warranty request.

If those kinds of breakdowns don't get fixed, then, IMHO, there won't BE any normal times! I hope senior management gets on this and fast, because they're a great brand.

And still, after all that wait, what a glorious machine!

I get that. But I fail to see the validity of the argument that says because folks are working from home, they can't communicate in as timely a manner as working from the office.

Seriously? Maybe they've got kids at home to juggle taking care of them/school/day to day activities? Maybe they've got a less than ideal internet connection? Maybe they've got loved ones on the front lines and are dealing with other concerns with regard to the pandemic?

Lots of maybes, but I'd suggest being just a little bit more empathetic. Sorry you had a bad experience though.

Seriously? Maybe they've got kids at home to juggle taking care of them/school/day to day activities? Maybe they've got a less than ideal internet connection? Maybe they've got loved ones on the front lines and are dealing with other concerns with regard to the pandemic?

Lots of maybes, but I'd suggest being just a little bit more empathetic. Sorry you had a bad experience though.
Good points, Brendon. Will try to walk in their shoes. That said...

At some point, from a corporate business standpoint, Specialized would do well to consider the public relations consequences of taking several months to diagnose anything on a bicycle.
(I can see from this forum, that I'm not alone in this experience.)
I've had assorted cars and motorcycles in various shops over too many decades, and nothing took MONTHS, even with imported parts coming from Japan and Germany.
Either Specialized gets this sorted out or they don't. I certainly wish them well in their path to doing so.

Specialized seems to have the resources: they have an estimated 580 employees with an estimated revenue of $685M.
As to how they've adjusted to the pandemic, I found this article informative:

Biz Journal Interview with Specialized CEO

Excerpt:

How has your workforce adjusted to working from home?

"In a lot of ways, it has been very good, and it brings a certain intensity and realness to everything to get things done."​

OK, flame off, back to my usual charitable demeanor! Obviously, time for a bike ride. Thanks for the empathy from you.

Good points, Brendon. Will try to walk in their shoes. That said...

At some point, from a corporate business standpoint, Specialized would do well to consider the public relations consequences of taking several months to diagnose anything on a bicycle.
(I can see from this forum, that I'm not alone in this experience.)
I've had assorted cars and motorcycles in various shops over too many decades, and nothing took MONTHS, even with imported parts coming from Japan and Germany.
Either Specialized gets this sorted out or they don't. I certainly wish them well in their path to doing so.

Specialized seems to have the resources: they have an estimated 580 employees with an estimated revenue of $685M.
As to how they've adjusted to the pandemic, I found this article informative:

Biz Journal Interview with Specialized CEO

Excerpt:

How has your workforce adjusted to working from home?

"In a lot of ways, it has been very good, and it brings a certain intensity and realness to everything to get things done."​

OK, flame off, back to my usual charitable demeanor! Obviously, time for a bike ride. Thanks for the empathy from you.

No sweat, it's tough for everyone, riders and those helping the riders. Agreed, hope they get things dialed in to keep you on the road rather than in the shop!

Reluctantly to leave the bike in the dealer and wait for like a month to get a replacement, we agreed that they will send me the new LCD screen so I could replace it myself. Here's the LCD replacement. You just have to remove 2 screws, pop out the old LCD from the metal frame, pop-in the new one and that's it. I set up the light using the C + 3 seconds the power button + selecting the option Back light Off after 5 seconds, so this time the light won't have to be all the time on while on the road (about 2 hours per day). Let's see how long this time lasts.
View attachment 18005
Hi, I came across your old post. I need to replace my lcd too, the joy stick is not working. Can I get the info where to buy it?
I emailed and called Specialized and got no response
Thanks

Hi, I came across your old post. I need to replace my lcd too, the joy stick is not working. Can I get the info where to buy it?
I emailed and called Specialized and got no response
Thanks
Hello. I had the same issue with my Specialized Turbo. My local bike shop (LBS) ordered the part for me and I installed it when it came in. The part number for the LCD controller is different depending on whether your bike had Formula C1 Brakes and SRAM derailleur (2015-16 Turbo and Turbo X) or Shimano (2016-17 Turbo S) brakes and derailleur. This doesn't matter since the actual LCD controller and joy-stick are identical. If you can get one and the metal housing doesn't match, just use your old one. The 2012-14 Turbo S had a different handlebar control system.

Last edited:
Updating previous reports on 2016 Turbo Levo FSR. Third motor installed in early 2020 remains in good condition, after about 1100 miles, knock on wood. It performs nearly flawlessly, and the only control oddity is when not downshifting early. It then seems to take a short time to respond properly. If you downshift early and low load, it performs fine. The firmware is up to date. The Mission Control is becoming a joke. Most of the time the speed reading freezes when coasting, and periodically the mileage suddenly jumps up, which means the average speed is incorrect. I recently averaged over 1400 mph! The total consumption often reads zero, but the calories always display, though I doubt they are a reliable figure. Recently, the battery health dropped to 90%, and I'm not sure what that means. The charge cycles stand at 153. This is the second battery. My LBS has been great, and receives reasonable support from Specialized on the bikes, but zero on Mission Control. They just delivered a new SL and the Mission Control is a mess, and can't get anyone to assist in fixing it. Specialized service is simply not up to today's expectations. I actually got someone on the phone two weeks ago, but they have no information on Mission Control, nor can they connect you. My battery now typically charges to between 93 and 100%, always a surprise.Very frustrating. Walmart service is probably better.

Will it work on 2016 Levo, which is the first generation? The Mission Control has never shown a bluetooth connection, but hooks up most of the time. Looks like $9.99, which is cheap enough. Some negative reviews say it's complicated.

It does miracles, @rede. It looks complicated but it isn't. Compatibility? If you can connect MC to your Levo, BLEvo will connect, too. The app was started by Paolo Dozio for his own Levo already several years ago.

BLEvo advantages post

I notice there are also route planning and GPS navigation features in BLEvo but I haven't used them yet.

It does miracles, @rede. It looks complicated but it isn't. Compatibility? If you can connect MC to your Levo, BLEvo will connect, too. The app was started by Paolo Dozio for his own Levo already several years ago.

BLEvo advantages post

I notice there are also route planning and GPS navigation features in BLEvo but I haven't used them yet.
Interesting that you've changed your tune about this app. From day one I have always said BLEvo works great with the Turbo Vado 5.0 2019 edition. I have always preferred it too MC for a variety of reasons. It is good to see you finally got it working with your Vado and given the app the credit it deserves.

Interesting that you've changed your tune about this app.
I'm so sorry Kam. I was too shy of BLEvo and it took me a long time to discover how great the app was ❤️
P.S. There is a background in it. Endomondo service has been discontinued and I had to go for Strava. BLEvo is a great companion to Strava.

I'm so sorry Kam. I was too shy of BLEvo and it took me a long time to discover how great the app was ❤️
It's all good. I think you should clarify it in my thread where you were pretty much bashing the app.
"I wouldn't trust BLEvo very much but at least it gives a lot of interesting information." Quoting from one of your post. There are others by you (negative post in my thread) but that part about not trusting BLEvo, I think you should clean that up.

It's all good. I think you should clarify it in my thread where you were pretty much bashing the app.
"I wouldn't trust BLEvo very much but at least it gives a lot of interesting information." Quoting from one of your post. There are others by you (negative post in my thread) but that part about not trusting BLEvo, I think you should clean that up.
Done. Peace!

Will it work on 2016 Levo, which is the first generation? The Mission Control has never shown a bluetooth connection, but hooks up most of the time. Looks like $9.99, which is cheap enough. Some negative reviews say it's complicated.
Rede, does MC work with 2016 Levo?
I have used MC with several Specialized bikes and after learning how it works and all it can do, have never had a lick of problems. I also use a Garmin Explore for other fitness tracking (I hve some heart issues), but find enough adjustments/info on MC to keep my bike running properly.

MC worked perfectly at the beginning in September 2016. The bike was replaced under warranty after a month, and the MC worked perfectly after getting it changed over. MC updated the software early on, and this allowed you to change the boost level directly from the "STATS" screen. Later, they downgraded, got rid of that nice feature. This is a Gen I bike, and so there is no display, just the LED's on the down tube. Without MC you can't change boost levels. Early on, you could contact MC and they were helpful. Today, there is no way to actually get in touch with them. Swiss precision is only for watches. My MC has been crazy for over a year, previously on n Android phone, now on an Iphone. On ride today, it was okay except speed hanging up when coasting downhill. Correct maximum speed always shows up after saving. The total consumption did save today. It's just haphazard. Can anyone explain what 90% battery health means? Thanks.

Back