Known Issues & Problems with Specialized Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Interesting that you've changed your tune about this app. From day one I have always said BLEvo works great with the Turbo Vado 5.0 2019 edition. I have always preferred it too MC for a variety of reasons. It is good to see you finally got it working with your Vado and given the app the credit it deserves.
Have a vado 4.0 and motor error vomes up and have to reset bike.Does it happen to anyone else?

Have a vado 4.0 and motor error vomes up and have to reset bike.Does it happen to anyone else?
Not sure why you're quoting me. Anyways, as far as I can tell, there are only 2 of us with Vados, both 5.0s, that report a positive experience with BLEvo. I have never had any motor error when turning the bike on. It may be that your Vado 4.0 is not compatible with BLEvo.

Can anyone explain what 90% battery health means?
Battery health is the current battery capacity compared to the nominal full charge. For example 90% healthy battery of 500 Wh nominal charge only stores 450 Wh when charged to 100%.

Thanks on battery health. The battery shows 153 cycles. Is it normal to lose 10% with that history?
I suggest from reading various battery sources. Charge to 80% and don't let it go below 20%. Something to do with lithium/Lion batteries. Frequent charges are better than fully charges and fully drained.

Have always charged it until green light comes on, which now ends up being 95-98%, rarely 100%. Never go below 20%. I’m told the cycles are counted as a 100% recharge. So...my 153 cycles are probably more like 350-400 actual charger hookups. The charger is newer, as the original one failed. It’s the 2nd bike, all new after 1 month, then 2nd battery, 2nd harness, 2nd charger, and 3rd motor, all under warranty, fortunately. About 4500 miles total.

Rede, BLEvo shows actual battery capacity... (300 recharge cycles might leave the battery at 70% health).

Have always charged it until green light comes on, which now ends up being 95-98%, rarely 100%. Never go below 20%. I’m told the cycles are counted as a 100% recharge. So...my 153 cycles are probably more like 350-400 actual charger hookups. The charger is newer, as the original one failed. It’s the 2nd bike, all new after 1 month, then 2nd battery, 2nd harness, 2nd charger, and 3rd motor, all under warranty, fortunately. About 4500 miles total.
Over double my mileage. I'm not how many cycles I have. Probably less then 40 or 50. I'll check later and post back. MC reports my battery health at 100% and BLEvo 99% last I checked. I try to get at least 50 miles per charge 80-20 present.

Thanks on battery health. The battery shows 153 cycles. Is it normal to lose 10% with that history?
I was just doing some deep dive reading about my battery on my Vado 5 SL and it states that after the first few charge cycles (maybe a dozen?) your battery will show slightly less than 100% and that is normal at full charge. I will see if I can find it a post it.

Found it:

Charge Cycles​

The Battery Management System counts the amount of full charge cycles. One charge cycle is added when, for example, 500 Wh have been recharged into a 500 Wh battery. Battery aging over an estimated lifetime is taken into account for counting the cycles.

Battery Health Shows the percentage of remaining battery capacity.​

Note: Specialized guarantees that the battery holds at least 75% capacity after 300 charge cycles or two years, whichever comes first. It is not uncommon for battery health to drop a few percent within 20 cycles and then to hold that level for a year or more. See your Turbo manual for more battery details.

Last edited:
Over double my mileage. I'm not how many cycles I have. Probably less then 40 or 50. I'll check later and post back. MC reports my battery health at 100% and BLEvo 99% last I checked. I try to get at least 50 miles per charge 80-20 present.
I’m an octogenarian living in hilly country, and so I use (need) more boost. On a flat rail trail, recently, muddy/wet, I rode 24 miles, using 25% eco boost, and went from 95% down to 21%.

Here you go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210101-143323.png
    Screenshot_20210101-143323.png
    184.9 KB · Views: 264
Max, several of us have experienced motor errors on our Vados. Resetting the bike (power cycling) seems to work for everyone. When this happened to me I was able to ride home after the reset. I then used a plastic friendly contact cleaner on the battery and frame mounted power connectors. I also used a 'Q-tip' soaked in the cleaner to 'scrub' the contacts. I've made this a normal part of my maintenance procedures. The motor error has not recurred for me with well over 1,000 miles since the first contact cleaning.

0309201133_Film1.jpg

I’m an octogenarian living in hilly country, and so I use (need) more boost. On a flat rail trail, recently, muddy/wet, I rode 24 miles, using 25% eco boost, and went from 95% down to 21%.
On a flat trail that's quite a bit of battery drain using 25% Eco I would imagine. But then again you have over 4500 miles. Still seems a bit much.

Max, several of us have experienced motor errors on our Vados. Resetting the bike (power cycling) seems to work for everyone. When this happened to me I was able to ride home after the reset. I then used a plastic friendly contact cleaner on the battery and frame mounted power connectors. I also used a 'Q-tip' soaked in the cleaner to 'scrub' the contacts. I've made this a normal part of my maintenance procedures. The motor error has not recurred for me with well over 1,000 miles since the first contact cleaning.

View attachment 75734
I should of been more specific with Max. I have never had a motor error period. Whether riding or whatever. Resetting the bike? How does one reset the bike? Is it like resetting a 4K firestick or phone? Is it a soft reset or hard reset? If I had a motor error I would be lost. I have 2 E-bikes and never had a motor error with either bike. Over 2000 miles on both. I'm baffled. How the hell do you reset an E-bike? A reset to me implies wiping everything in computer memory and starting fresh.

I should of been more specific with Max. I have never had a motor error period. Whether riding or whatever. Resetting the bike? How does one reset the bike? Is it like resetting a 4K firestick or phone? Is it a soft reset or hard reset? If I had a motor error I would be lost. I have 2 E-bikes and never had a motor error with either bike. Over 2000 miles on both. I'm baffled. How the hell do you reset an E-bike? A reset to me implies wiping everything in computer memory and starting fresh.
Kam, as my post mentions resetting involves power cycling of the bike.

I had this problem earlier this FALL but I fixed the problem by putting in a new battery. The battery cost about $5. Easy fix.
The "motor error" notification went away, no data was lost from the odometer setting or anything else as I could tell. This replacement battery is inside the head unit mounted on the handlebars, I just changed out the 1220 battery. Hope that gives you some help with this.

Last edited:
I had this problem earlier this FALL but I fixed the problem by putting in a new battery. The battery cost about $5. Easy fix.
The "motor error" notification went away, no data was lost from the odometer setting or anything else as I could tell. This replacement battery is inside the head unit mounted on the handlebars, I just changed out the 1220 battery. Hope that gives you some help with this.
I recently got a 'LOW BATT' message on the lower left of the display. A new CR 1220 battery for the display is enroute. Didn't seem to have anything the motor error I got nearly a year ago.

Back