Known Issues & Problems with Specialized Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Max, several of us have experienced motor errors on our Vados. Resetting the bike (power cycling) seems to work for everyone. When this happened to me I was able to ride home after the reset. I then used a plastic friendly contact cleaner on the battery and frame mounted power connectors. I also used a 'Q-tip' soaked in the cleaner to 'scrub' the contacts. I've made this a normal part of my maintenance procedures. The motor error has not recurred for me with well over 1,000 miles since the first contact cleaning.

View attachment 75734
Thanks for the advice guys,i going to do that

Went for a ride yesterday. Opened up MC. Screen showed 51% battery charge and 90% healthy. 51% was the remaining charge from previous ride, but it switched to 95% after about 2 miles. A frequent error. Coasting speed mostly didn't work. Maximum speed did record. Total consumption showed zero again, typically 160-190 for that route. I've been thinking about the BLevo, but the number of negative reviews concerns me, not that the MC reviews are any better, and yet the "devil you know"..... Rode 11.25 miles, about 7 in eco 25% and 4 in trail 60%. Elevation lost 738', gained 748'. Battery went from 95% to 52%. Comments welcome.

Went for a ride yesterday. Opened up MC. Screen showed 51% battery charge and 90% healthy. 51% was the remaining charge from previous ride, but it switched to 95% after about 2 miles. A frequent error. Coasting speed mostly didn't work. Maximum speed did record. Total consumption showed zero again, typically 160-190 for that route. I've been thinking about the BLevo, but the number of negative reviews concerns me, not that the MC reviews are any better, and yet the "devil you know"..... Rode 11.25 miles, about 7 in eco 25% and 4 in trail 60%. Elevation lost 738', gained 748'. Battery went from 95% to 52%. Comments welcome.
When was your last ebike firmware update? Your last MC update? My MC is ver2.4.3 from NOV 27, 2020.

Bike firmware is up to date, according to Specialized. My bike is a Generation I, and the latest MC update is apparently only for newer bikes. How do I determine my MC version?

Purchased and downloaded BLevo. DOA. It opens up, says "Bluetooth is off. Please activate the Bluetooth", and nothing works. The Bluetooth is in fact on, and is connected to the bike. I turned it on and off a few times. It's actually about what I expected. With electronics it's always said to be "plug and play", and it's usually a frustrating game.

Bike firmware is up to date, according to Specialized. My bike is a Generation I, and the latest MC update is apparently only for newer bikes. How do I determine my MC version?

Purchased and downloaded BLevo. DOA. It opens up, says "Bluetooth is off. Please activate the Bluetooth", and nothing works. The Bluetooth is in fact on, and is connected to the bike. I turned it on and off a few times. It's actually about what I expected. With electronics it's always said to be "plug and play", and it's usually a frustrating game.
Contact developer for refund. Just tell him the app didn't work with your bike.

Will it work on 2016 Levo, which is the first generation? The Mission Control has never shown a bluetooth connection, but hooks up most of the time. Looks like $9.99, which is cheap enough. Some negative reviews say it's complicated.
I had to read back. So your bike is 4 years old? You've had a lot of things replaced under warranty. I think it's more likely than not that the 2016 Levo is too old to work properly with either MC or BLEvo.

MC was available from the start, and continues to be heavily promoted by Specialized. For me the MC was perfect at the beginning, and furthermore you could actually contact MC for support on settings. MC then made some updates, never with advance notice, and has gone to zero support. I think there is a years long dispute between the Swiss MC developers and Specialized. My MC app worked well until early this year as I recall, and is now an ongoing frustration. It does work, and I do use it, but it's like the check engine light is always on.

I check my app versions in my LG Android phone by going to Settings>Application Manager then click on the app I want to check. Immediately under the app title the version number is listed. I've attached a screen shot of this from my phone;

Screenshot_2021-01-03-11-18-21.png

I verified that this is the latest version by checking Google Play Store.

Last edited:
MC was available from the start, and continues to be heavily promoted by Specialized. For me the MC was perfect at the beginning, and furthermore you could actually contact MC for support on settings. MC then made some updates, never with advance notice, and has gone to zero support. I think there is a years long dispute between the Swiss MC developers and Specialized. My MC app worked well until early this year as I recall, and is now an ongoing frustration. It does work, and I do use it, but it's like the check engine light is always on.
Does you ebike have the Turbo Connect Display (TCD)?

download (1).jpeg

Didn't find it on my iPhone, but MC says it's 2.4.3 Build 75 on contact page. That version, however, is not for my Generation I.

Looking how to contact BLevo. Haven't found it.

Didn't find it on my iPhone, but MC says it's 2.4.3 Build 75 on contact page. .
And so it does! Another tidbit I'll probably forget when I need it. 🤣

My is build 75 as well.

I wonder if the updated MC, stated as only for Gen II bikes is the cause of the glitches on mine. Another puzzle. Of course MC does the updates with no notice. It must be that Swiss precision, unfortunately only good for watches.

Hi just checked my MC and i have alerts for motor update
We in Gibraltar are currently undergoing full lockdown and dealer is closed.
Is there a way to do the update online?
Thanks

My display also needs updating
Current firmware is 13.4.0
Update 16.4.0
On my motor firmware 7.1.1
Update firmware 7.4.1
Thanks for any information or advise

Hi just checked my MC and i have alerts for motor update
We in Gibraltar are currently undergoing full lockdown and dealer is closed.
Is there a way to do the update online?
Thanks
Max, the MC page in Google's Play Store claims;

"BIG NEWS!! With this latest release, riders in Mission Control can now perform:
- Turbo Connect Display updates
- Motor and Turbo Connect Unit display updates for:
-> Levo Gen 2 (Model Year 19-21)
-> Kenevo Gen 2 (Model Year 20 -21)"

I have a Vado so I can't verify these claims.

Back