Known Issues & Problems with Specialized Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Updating the Blox display is "challenging" to say the least. Our shop computer wouldn't do it, personal laptop could, kind of. If you're up for it the TCD is worth every penny. Kind of funny since the Blox display is more appealing visually, but the TCD is bulletproof and works no problem with Mission Control.

DE7176E8-9634-4F68-8791-43461CD8AF93.jpegthis is what the blok displays. Well, my bike shop is waiting for Specialized to let them know how to fix it. Hopefully they will warranty it and upgrade to the TCD as that seems to fix most issues and allows mission control.

Have you plugged the display itself in to try and charge it a bit?

Yes. the screen would go off no reason. The only way for me to get it to come back on was to plug it in for a bit, then it would work again, but after a day or so it would turn off. I took the back off the bloks, but I don't see a battery. So I don't know why plugging it in makes it connect.

Hello,

I took my 2019 Vado 2.0 in to get serviced as the bloks display has an "!" and "0d" showing upon start. There's a ton of resistance at 19mph too. Additionally, the bloks display will periodically turn off, but the bike controls work just fine. The dealer just called me and shared that they tired a software update but the software will not recognize the bike. Has anyone had that experience?
@Quinncy, the Specialized warranty BLOKS -> TCD-W upgrade program is the fact. Insist on that. I am in Poland and own a 2017 Vado 5.0 bought as new in 2019. True, it took Specialized as many as 7 months to deliver the "European conversion set for BLOKS to TCD-W upgrade for Vado 5.0" but the LBS did the upgrade and didn't charge a single grosz for that, all under the warranty.

The TCD-W ugrade is labor-intensive for the LBS. Yet the new display is just beautiful, provides tons of information, connects with the Mission Control, and is bullet-proof as Brendon says. Go for it!

@Quinncy, the Specialized warranty BLOKS -> TCD-W upgrade program is the fact. Insist on that. I am in Poland and own a 2017 Vado 5.0 bought as new in 2019. True, it took Specialized as many as 7 months to deliver the "European conversion set for BLOKS to TCD-W upgrade for Vado 5.0" but the LBS did the upgrade and didn't charge a single grosz for that, all under the warranty.

The TCD-W ugrade is labor-intensive for the LBS. Yet the new display is just beautiful, provides tons of information, connects with the Mission Control, and is bullet-proof as Brendon says. Go for it!

Thank you for your reply. LBS is waiting for Specialized to inform them on if there is a way to get the bike to connect using the Bloks before they warranty a new TCD-W display. If LBS can update the software and stop the display from turning off they will not upgrade me to TCD-W. I'm the second owner and the bike wasn't purchased at the LBS it's getting it serviced at so I think they are not trying too hard. But I have the original receipt from the previous owner showing the bike is still under warranty, plus Specialized warranty says it supports second owners too. So we will see. I just want my bike back so I can enjoy it!!

Thank you for your reply. LBS is waiting for Specialized to inform them on if there is a way to get the bike to connect using the Bloks before they warranty a new TCD-W display. If LBS can update the software and stop the display from turning off they will not upgrade me to TCD-W. I'm the second owner and the bike wasn't purchased at the LBS it's getting it serviced at so I think they are not trying too hard. But I have the original receipt from the previous owner showing the bike is still under warranty, plus Specialized warranty says it supports second owners too. So we will see. I just want my bike back so I can enjoy it!!

I'm with Stefan, it'll be worth the wait! Hopefully you get the TCD!

Edit: Regarding them dragging their feet, I can't reiterate how crazy things are at the shop level. Inventory is nuts in the sense that warehouses are doing their best to keep up. A little patience (and a 6 pack) go a long way in making nice. We're under crazy pressure (nothing compared to REAL essential workers) and we all want our clients back on the road as fast as possible. Your bike doesn't do anything for them in the shop, I'm sure they want it back to you as soon as possible so you can ride it!!!

@Brendon@TBSM; Thank you for opening my eyes to understand the hard reality to operate an LBS. Now, I understand the fact I would get my larger Giant battery with a delay is not the LBS fault! Makes the live easier and provides peace of mind.

@Brendon@TBSM; Thank you for opening my eyes to understand the hard reality to operate an LBS. Now, I understand the fact I would get my larger Giant battery with a delay is not the LBS fault! Makes the live easier and provides peace of mind.

Stefan, you have idea and I don't mean that in any sort of derogatory way. It's infinitely frustrating from the LBS side with regards to inventory. All we (LBS) want to do is keep our clients happy and riding. When the big boys (Specialized, Trek, Giant, Shimano, SRAM, et al) don't know when they're going to fill backorders to our main distributors it means we don't have any sense of an idea when we can serve our clients. Everyone is working towards a common goal, take care of the end customer (YOU). Communication is key and that's the hardest part! I've got 20 Rockhoppers on backorder and I had no idea of when they'd be delivered. Ordered them back in April and had many folks wanting them. I didn't want to take deposits as I couldn't provide any sort of ETA.

It's tough for everyone, keep in mind restaurants and other industries are hit far worse! Anytime I eat out (once a month, maybe) I tip heavy because they can't even work, let alone be bothered with being overwhelmed like we are.

I hate to be a broken record, but we're all on the same team, getting our clients back on the road!!!

Stefan, you have idea and I don't mean that in any sort of derogatory way. It's infinitely frustrating from the LBS side with regards to inventory. All we (LBS) want to do is keep our clients happy and riding. When the big boys (Specialized, Trek, Giant, Shimano, SRAM, et al) don't know when they're going to fill backorders to our main distributors it means we don't have any sense of an idea when we can serve our clients. Everyone is working towards a common goal, take care of the end customer (YOU). Communication is key and that's the hardest part! I've got 20 Rockhoppers on backorder and I had no idea of when they'd be delivered. Ordered them back in April and had many folks wanting them. I didn't want to take deposits as I couldn't provide any sort of ETA.

It's tough for everyone, keep in mind restaurants and other industries are hit far worse! Anytime I eat out (once a month, maybe) I tip heavy because they can't even work, let alone be bothered with being overwhelmed like we are.

I hate to be a broken record, but we're all on the same team, getting our clients back on the road!!!

Thanks for telling me to be patient. My LBS got the bloks and firmware updated. They told since the display is no longer in use they had to a backdoor to update the bike. I didn't get the updated display but as a consolation prize the bike now works with the unofficial Android app that Stefen posted in forums. Thanks !

Thanks for telling me to be patient. My LBS got the bloks and firmware updated. They told since the display is no longer in use they had to a backdoor to update the bike. I didn't get the updated display but as a consolation prize the bike now works with the unofficial Android app that Stefen posted in forums. Thanks !

Glad to hear they got you working in the mean time! Just got off the phone with my rep, apparently we ordered our TCD kits just in time, they're backordered until October I think. I've still got 2 left that aren't spoken for but I have two more Blox bikes on the floor and might not want to let them go.

Glad to hear they got you working in the mean time! Just got off the phone with my rep, apparently we ordered our TCD kits just in time, they're backordered until October I think. I've still got 2 left that aren't spoken for but I have two more Blox bikes on the floor and might not want to let them go.
Since I have the unofficial app working is it worth $190 to upgrade to TCD?

TCD-W. Please don't confuse it with the TCD used on Specialized MTB and SL bikes.

If you could have your bike upgraded to the TCD-W Quinncy, that would be great.

Although I like mission control, I rarely use it. It's good software but no bluetooth device is all that reliable. As long as I can see my speed and battery status, I would not let the display stop me from riding while the weather's good. Do the updates next winter when the lbs is caught up. Hopefully.

That's a fair price, the first. Go for it!

Last questions, you seem to know a lot about this bike. Blocks stopped working again in the middle of my ride today.

I have the non-touch screen Bloks, does it need to be charged via micro usb and while charging does the battery indicator show the power level? It's been charging for 6 hrs and the indicator just blinks. This is the longest I have charged it. In the past I would plug in for 5-10 min and reattach to the bike and it would work for short time.

I took the back off Bolks but I don't see a battery.

Bike shop can't duplicate it so it can't be addressed. I really don't want to spend on the upgrade if it's defective and can be replaced under warranty.

Thanks

Last questions, you seem to know a lot about this bike. Blocks stopped working again in the middle of my ride today.

I have the non-touch screen Bloks, does it need to be charged via micro usb and while charging does the battery indicator show the power level? It's been charging for 6 hrs and the indicator just blinks. This is the longest I have charged it. In the past I would plug in for 5-10 min and reattach to the bike and it would work for short time.

I took the back off Bolks but I don't see a battery.

Bike shop can't duplicate it so it can't be addressed. I really don't want to spend on the upgrade if it's defective and can be replaced under warranty.

Thanks

Blox is a display from Brose and was used by Specialized so as to get product to market quickly. Blox works fine but when Specialized wanted Mission Control it exceeded what Blox can do, hence TCD-W to be developed.

Tell the LBS what you just told me, I'd say that's covered under the warranty. If they push back maybe meet them halfway and split the cost? Worst case pay for the upgrade and be done with it.

Back