Known Issues & Problems with Riese & Müller Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Hi Jay,

Hopefully someone will come back to both of us with a 3000 km -30,000 km positive experience of Suntour Aion.

We were in Melbourne for the Australian Open Tennis and were very impressed with Melbournes cycling infrastructure compared with Sydney. We did a cycling tour of the city which was excellent. (0 voltage tour) Cheers

I lived in Sydney for 3 years, but at that time I never realised I would love riding so was oblivious to what the city offered for cycling! Yes plenty of off road cycling for sure here. Let us know if your repair works.

Thinking about doing a complete service on them soon (100mm) and extending the travel to 120mm for extra ground clearance.
As per (where R&M SuperChargers are affectionately referred to as a 'Jeep'):

Keep us posted @webcurl on the success of the 120mm refit please :)

Jay, I gather this is a matter of removing the desired number of 10mm spacers as the travel to some extent is dictated by the number of spacers in place, more spacers = less travel.
Whether removal of the spacers might impact on warranty of fork or bike is an answer others might provide.

There are some photos here:-

Cheers

Jay, I gather this is a matter of removing the desired number of 10mm spacers as the travel to some extent is dictated by the number of spacers in place, more spacers = less travel.
Whether removal of the spacers might impact on warranty of fork or bike is an answer others might provide.

There are some photos here:-

Cheers

Brilliant! My wife is now looking at me sideways 😎

My wife has the 100mm Suntour Aion and so far so good - only around 300km, mostly (maybe 80%) off road on forestry roads and green single track. I hope you get your forks back soon!
Hi Jay,

My Delite was at the LBS for more than a week and the fork was sent to the Suntour Agent in Melbourne for warranty repair. I did ask LBS if they could get Suntour to give me some feedback on what was done.

Reply back from Suntour via LBS was

"Yes it was the air piston that wasn’t holding pressure and leaking out in to lowers.
Does happen from time to time.
"

Not particularly informative as to what fix was implemented and perhaps could be summarised as "S**t Happens"

No apparent pressure loss since warranty work so hopefully will not be a problem in the future. Only downside to my Delite ful experience so far.

Regards Stephen.

The Delite is such a great bike, and its good news Stephen that you got your forks back reasonably promptly, and hopefully fixed. Such a dissapointment I am sure after the wait for the bike to arrive. While Susie has the Aion 100mm suspension on her Homage, I went full monty and got the 140mm Fox upgrade on my Delite and couldn't be happier. The full suspension is one of the drawcards to R&M and one personally I greatly value.

Hi, might have been better posted in the following forum:
Thanks for flagging that option, I will know for the future.

It seems that in that forum David Berry has already covered a lot of suggestions for improvements to the Kiox so his comments are far more comprehensive than mine so no need to repost.

Cheers Stephen

Hi, does anyone know exactly what Crank Bolts are used on the 2018 SuperCharger GX (Rohloff), any purchase/info links?

Hello everyone

I have a superdelite, everything is fine except when I am riding over cobblestone and there is this annoying rattling noise from the bike kickstand.... Is it only me ? or do you have the same problem ? Any ideas how to fix this ?

Many thanks in advance,

Polivios

Hello everyone

I have a superdelite, everything is fine except when I am riding over cobblestone and there is this annoying rattling noise from the bike kickstand.... Is it only me ? or do you have the same problem ? Any ideas how to fix this ?

Many thanks in advance,

Polivios
Hi,

Yes I also think kick stand noise.

I have tried to fix a rubber bumper in place but difficult to keep it in place. I suspect if we remove the kick stand temporarily the clatter will disappear so a permanent fix would be good to have. All suggestions appreciated.

Beware of wet cobblestones!!!!!

Cheers Stephen

Yes, it's rather annoying to have the stand clatter all the time every time you go over a bump. R&M need to fit a stronger spring or maybe a clip for when you know you'll be on rough terrain.

I've been looking for the source of that rattle for weeks now and never thought of the kickstand so thanks for the heads up 😁

Marc

I wonder if some kind of reusable clip might be 3D printed. Something that behaves like these kinds of clips-
84368ac1-7c29-4dd2-9524-4abe9d0e979d.jpg

but is designed to attach to the frame and be large enough to hold the stand. Since it's the kind that release the clamped object with a little force, it might be able to hold the stand in place, but a simple flick from a foot might release it, and then it would reset itself into the clamp when kicked back up.

Seems like overkill now that I read it back, but the SuperDelite is nothing if not massively over-engineered. In the best way.

2020 Superdelite GT Rohloff HS: Initial Impressions

First, omergawsh: That wait time. I ordered air freight, but shipping by air doesn’t work when all flights are COVID-cancelled. So an expected 5-week wait turned into five months. Communication about all that can only be described as exceedingly poor. In this regard — separate from the product and focusing only on my consumer purchasing experience — Riese & Müller suffers from extremely poor communications management.

Were this ebike anything less than the most expensive all-around ebike one can possibly buy, I might be more understanding. But shelling out the better part of $12,000 (incl. tax) for a bicycle means you are buying Bentley levels of service to go along with the actual vehicle. And, despite my local dealer being very nice, Bentley levels of service is not at all what I got.

My experience, I believe, is an artifact of R&M outsourcing all communications to the dealer, which leads to variable quality when R&M, itself, (by all reports) is somewhat less than forthcoming.

R&M is a good company run by good people, no doubt. I also am certain that, just like every other bicycle manufacturer worldwide, R&M has been hard-pressed to keep up with demand. So my experience may reflect our Chinese-plague-ridden times, more than anything. Could be.

Anyway, I’ve had the Superdelite now for three weeks, so the honeymoon is fading and day-to-day city use is the norm. It’s important to note that I have very limited experience with other ebikes — Lyft and Uber rentables; a disastrously-painful ride on a Vanmoof S2; a few tests of a coupla Specialized (Como, Levo). And I’m able to compare the Tern GSD which I used for a day as a loaner when my Superdelite was being adjusted.

So first, let me dash off my thoughts on those other bikes: Lyft & Uber bikes are comfortable ad hoc transportation, but they are not door-to-door; nor are they useful for doing any hauling of any sort. The no-suspension Vanmoof S2, based on a 1/2-mile ride on my city’s ridiculously bad pavement, rattled my iWatch right of my wrist — twice! — and left me limping for a week. Also, just as with the rentable bikes, the Vanmoof S2 could not make it up the 30% grades encountered every day around here. The Specialized Como was comfortable, but really is more of a beach cruiser than an SUV; and the Levo model, though superior in most ways, was a sporting bike, not an all-around vehicle replacement. The Tern GSD is a competent bike that clearly is much more nimble than the Superdelite; but, at 6’4”, I felt rather like I’d made off with a child’s bike, not a purpose-built hauler.

Also worth noting that there are plenty of Rad bikes and Super73s in my town. My impression is that I am glad they exist for those who buy them. But they are comparatively noisy and simply nowhere near as refined as the Superdelite. But then: few are.

Learning to ride the Superdelite took about a day to become reasonably competent. Not unlike learning to drive a manual stick shift. The e-shifting, the assist level, the dropper post: All need coordination.

Far more learning was required to develop my habit of getting on the bike: Taking off the cover and unlocking it from all the sturdy locks securing it in my garage. Turning on all the apps and configuring my smartphone to allow them to track me (if you do not turn the Bosch location awareness off after each use, it’ll drain your battery — the Germans need to #LearnToCode). Turning on my Lumos Matrix smart helmet. Cueing up the Lumos app with the turn signals displaying on my smartphone. Mounting the smartphone on to the QuadLock. Attaching the Kiox display, and hooking the USB to my phone to trickle charge it. Donning my safety vest and riding gloves. And then choosing what, if anything, I needed to add to the bike: Panniers? MIK-compliant basket? The Coho XC trailer? All of them?

I guess what I am trying to convey here is that choosing an ebike as your fundamental transportation means doing quite a few preparatory things differently. It is a completely different experience than hitting a button on your key fob, getting in, and driving away. Same is true at the destination: securing your bike in a city environment requires attention, time, and care — carefully taking with you every single thing that is not Hexlocked or secured, including the saddle bag and water bottles.

It is my hope that manufacturers find a solution to easily securing ebikes that will better approximate how easily we currently can leave our parked cars.

Now, on to the experience of the Superdelite. This bike? It is heavy. Kitted out, it approaches 80 pounds, and therefore feels more motorcycle-ish than bicycle. Add my 200-pound weight, and it is a tank. I initially was using the two highest levels of assist to get going, but that turned out to be incorrect. What is really needed is the right *gear* to get going. The Rohloff’s 14-gear range permits an easy start in almost every terrain where the assist can even be turned off, and you’ll proceed just fine.

I’ve taken to using Eco or turning off assist altogether when starting out in order to extend the range, just to see if it makes any difference. And the answer is: It makes a HUGE difference. Just as with cars, starting up from a dead stop consumes the most energy. With 1000 WH, I’m not really concerned about range. Just toying with the stats, which I track on a spreadsheet, for chuckles.

Anyway, if I grocery shop using the Burley Coho XC trailer towing ~50 pounds, I easily become 330+ pounds of mass hurtling down the road at 20-25 mph in a vehicle where my face is the ‘crumple zone.’ Judicious use of the horn (or the aftermarket Spurcycle bell) has been very useful as I navigate. (N.B. on the Burley Coho XC trailer: It *says* it has 75-pound capacity. I strongly recommend you limit it to 50 pounds or less, placing heaviest items toward the trailer’s wheel.)

The cockpit on the Superdelite is very crowded: Horned Ergon grips with a very good rear view mirror on the left. The dropper post lever. The electronic horn. The brake lever attachments. The assist controller. The QuadLock smartphone holder. The adjustable stem. The Kiox display. The Spurcycle bell. The electronic shifter. On the left-hand side, it’s all pretty tight. The industry can certainly do better on integrating all these things together so that they are not stacked like dominoes in a row. I mean: cars have those annoying blank buttons where you are always reminded of the option you did not buy. But R&M has done as best as can be expected given current technologies and formats. Certainly, the Superdelite cockpit is far tidier than the majority of ebikes with similar functionalities.

The power from the nominal 250W (~600W peak) Bosch motor, upgraded to the current 85 nm of torque, is more than adequate. The trick to using it correctly is to find the right cadence/torque pressure. As everyone will tell you, the more you give, the more you get. On the HS version, there is a sweet spot that is designed to keep your cadence at a good clip and maintain speed. And doing that correctly is all about being in the right gear.

I’ve booked along at 28+ mph in the highest gear in Tour; and I’ve ascended the steepest, 30%+ grade hills in first or second in Sport mode, both without much effort at all. The most profound impact has been not hills at all, but wind. Wind can cut my efficiency in half and easily prompt a tap to the next higher assist.

I am fortunate that my town is committed to Protected Bike Lanes. As a car driver, I thoroughly supported them because it discouraged meandering bicyclists from getting caught up in my wheels. As an urban bicyclist, they are hands-down and without question exactly what every city should do. Massive difference in confidence and security.

My Superdelite was equipped with the ‘winged victory‘ standard rear rack (but no front rack); as well as the Fox Float suspension upgrade and Rock Razor tires. The Fox suspension may sound like overkill, but it manages the small bumps of city riding far better than the Suntour (but at a price). I intend to take this bike to fire trails and scale some local mountains on off-road paths. Though I’ve yet to test this proposition, I think the suspension upgrade is worth it. It certainly has been for the poor city roads thus far.

I have an outsized fear of getting a flat on this thing, so I added Tannus Armour inserts as well as tire sealant in a belt-and-suspenders way. In addition to the Included Abus folding lock, I use the Abus SmartX smartphone-operated lock when arriving where I’m going. Those, and, as mentioned, I have Hexlocked every possible thing. And that which is not locked, I take with me. I added the Kiox interlock that disables the motor except for that head unit, too.

Some have reported that the Tannus Armour inserts create a different feel. As I put them in before I even rode the bike, I cannot say. But the ride seems perfectly fine, to me. The suspension is transparent and very good. It is very easy to take for granted — and then you hop on your old, fork-suspension hardtail and realize that bikes without full suspension are basically uncomfortable.

Along these lines: The Gates Carbon Belt Drive is the dog that does not bark, the child who always behaves, and then never gets attention. Frankly, I cannot imagine ever going back to a derailleur setup and all the maintenance and faffing about that requires.

I replaced the included Ergon seat with a slightly wider Ergon ST Touring Core Men’s Ultra Saddle. It is more comfortable. But is it more comfy because of the Ergon tech? Tbh, I think it’s the extra width.

The purchase price, btw, is not where the expenses end. The mentioned trailer. The secunity locks. Service agreements. Tire inserts. Safety gear. Foul weather clothing. Full insurance, including liability. Maintenance gear. It all adds up. In my case, the total bill has been over $16 large.

Nonetheless, I’ve remarked to friends that the Superdelite is as close as the ebike industry has come to making a Honda Accord: comfortable, reliable, and useful. An all-around bike that does just about everything — city roads, trails, hauling — in an above-average way that is very friendly as a car replacement.

The Riese & Müller Superdelite is not quite perfect. There is a yet-to-be-corrected paint flaw on the stem (ahem: This is a $12,000 bicycle, guys). The Rohloff gears tend to get hung up on 8th gear — once even refusing to shift out despite repeated attempts, though I was correctly removing pedal pressure. The front hydraulic brake line initially could get caught on the right-hand bottle boss during a hard right turn (when the Fabric bottle was not installed), threatening to rip the hydraulic line right off. The mirror, though very good and vibration-free, is not as well secured as you might expect, mostly because of the exact angle of the grip in relation to the fitting; it needs to be occasionally tightened. And then, of course, there was the exceedingly poor communication management during the purchasing and delivery process.

Is the Riese & Müller Superdelite a ‘Bentley’? Well, no: It is a bicycle. But ‘yes,’ because the relative expectations are that of buying a Bentley. And this is something that both R&M and the dealers need to more completely embrace and service. Because that is what R&M is holding themselves out to be.

In the end, though, the Superdelite is a competent and confidence-inspiring SUV. An SUV that I expect to be as reliable as a Honda Accord for years and years to come.
9C162BE1-B494-4553-A5B0-BF3AD895B678.jpeg

Last edited:
I wonder if some kind of reusable clip might be 3D printed. Something that behaves like these kinds of clips-
84368ac1-7c29-4dd2-9524-4abe9d0e979d.jpg

but is designed to attach to the frame and be large enough to hold the stand. Since it's the kind that release the clamped object with a little force, it might be able to hold the stand in place, but a simple flick from a foot might release it, and then it would reset itself into the clamp when kicked back up.

Seems like overkill now that I read it back, but the SuperDelite is nothing if not massively over-engineered. In the best way.

A banded clip produced by R&M that permits continued use of the kickstand is clearly in order. I, too, have that rattle. Since the kickstand is the *only* thing that rattles on this SD, it is a standout problem.

TEMPORARY SOLUTION: Know those clear, adhesive rubber bumpers that keep your cabinet doors from slamming? There are various sizes, and they are cheap.

I intend to stick a 1/2” version between the raised kickstand and the frame/guard to see if it makes things at least better.

But R&M needs to address this rattletrap with an engineered solution that can be applied to bikes it has already delivered. As I said in my ’Initial Impression’ post, Riese & Müller are holding themselves out as the producers of Land Rovers and Bentleys.

They should embrace that even further and realize that people paying $12 grand for a bicycle are not price-sensitive. They are excellence-sensitive.

No one — no one on God’s green earth — who buys a $150k Land Rover or $250k Bentley would just accept a constant rattle as the price of ownership. Cuz that would be silly.

The same is true for high-end electric bicycles.

Perfect bike , however the upgrade which finds the lock under the top tube now takes away for me valuable space if one is into long haul tours like i am . I am anticipating the release of information in September? of the slightly upgraded 2021 Supercharger which will see an increase in duel battery power.....Enjoy !

It appears to me that the lock holder and lock can be relocated to the lower part of the down tube. There appears to be two machine screws beneath the torn-up label that could hold it down there making room on the top tube for a frame bag. Also that is a very heavy lock, better to mount it lower if possible, plus it would be less inclined to rattle in that position.

It appears to me that the lock holder and lock can be relocated to the lower part of the down tube. There appears to be two machine screws beneath the torn-up label that could hold it down there making room on the top tube for a frame bag. Also that is a very heavy lock, better to mount it lower if possible, plus it would be less inclined to rattle in that position.

I’ve eyed those screws, too, on the downtube, but wonder if they are for attachments? Or for securing the battery that is slung below?

Also: The Abus folding lock mounted as standard does not appear to use the standard-spacing of bosses on most bikes, but a single, large screw smack in the middle. At least: It looks like that.

Back