Known Issues & Problems with Rad Power Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Hello yes it sounds like the circuit is jumping, I have set it the gears run smoothly.
The noise only comes when the engine is on. No noise without motor / display.

Is it making the noise when you run on throttle only (not pedaling)? If you are getting the noise only when pedaling, then I think you need to tweak the derailleur adjustment screw until the clicking sound goes away. Contact Rad support to look on YouTube for some videos on how to do this. It is very simple to do.

RangerDave

The clacking and rattling is in all gears 1-7 when the engine is on and always in the range of 24 km / h to 25 km / h and I move the pedal.
It is not possible to contact RadPower this amateur shop in EU Holland cannot be reached by email or phone. I think it was a mistake to buy the bike because no support from the dealer can be expected. Even a return is not possible because no one reacts there. So for € 1,599 I got grist in the basement ...

Last edited:
At the moment I can only advise everyone against buying from Radpower EU. They sell defective bikes and leave the customer alone with problems. I think this is fraud and rip-off.

Here a a couple of pictures of the derailleur adjustment screw. I would recommend turning it clockwise 1/4 rotation and try pedaling. If no change, turn 1/4 clockwise again. If the clicking goes away, switch to another gear and see how it pedals.

If the clicking gets worse after making the initial adjustment, reset the screw back the initial 1/4 or 1/2 turn and try turning it counter-clockwise 1/4 turn and try pedaling again. Adjust the thumb screw in the appropriate direction until the clicking goes away in all gears.

Be patient and take your time and be sure to keep track of the number of 1/4 turns you make and the direction, so you can reset back to where you started if you need to. If you are uncomfortable doing this, ask a friend or neighbor or local bike shop for assistance.

If I were local to you, I would help you out, but this is about the best I can do.

RangerDave

DCA0BCDD-8506-410E-A97C-F2AC397EC3BA.jpeg
E15C5B28-FA9C-4D0C-B362-A2A224111CF4.jpeg

At the moment I can only advise everyone against buying from Radpower EU. They sell defective bikes and leave the customer alone with problems. I think this is fraud and rip-off.

It sounds to me like you need to be reminded that the initial service and setup responsibility for that bike is on YOU! Rad does not ship bikes that are intended to be "take it out of the box and ride ready". The bikes need to be serviced, gone over closely from top to bottom and front to rear with loose bolts tightened and final adjustments made on everything - hopefully before anyone tries riding it!

If you don't want to do that, it's on you to have it done for you.

This isn't true of just the RAD product. It's true of 90+% of bikes shipped directly to customers.

Point being, stop whining and figure out what's wrong with your bike and fix it. If you need a hand doing that, just ask.

If there really is a defective part, RAD has an outstanding reputation for covering it.

Hi,

@RangerDave: Hello Ranger Dave, thank you for your effort. The circuit is set and runs very well. All gears from 1 to 7 shift cleanly and everything runs smoothly without an engine.

@AHicks:
Hello I'm not whining! The RadMini 4 was broken right from the start. The fault only occurs with the motor and in the range of 24-25 km / h. Without engine support from the battery, there is no noise, in no gear. This is a fault of the engine and / or controller! RadPower is responsible for this because they have delivered a defective bike and they refuse any support. I can't even ask for my money back and send the bike back because this company does NOT seem to exist in the EU Holland! You only ship and that's it!

I have some bikes from the internet, among others from the company NCM, known in the USA as Magnum. I have made various settings on these bikes and they have been running without problems for 2 years. Small things are always to be done, but I am aware of this with bicycles from the Internet.

So please let the insinuations I cry :), I expect support from the manufacturer for a new (!) Bike with obvious errors and no ignorance according to the motto sell and forget.

Grayson

Have you tried contacting RAD in the USA to see if they can help?

@AHicks:
Yes, I contacted RadPower USA, they say that would be a problem in the EU store. I should wait (!) Until they contact me.
Strange, you took my money quickly, sent me scrap and now I should wait ...
I am waiting until May 18, 2020 for a solution to this problem.
Without a solution until then I contact the police and a lawyer in Holland and report RadPowerEU for fraud and tax evasion.
I'm interested in a reasonable solution but this lousy type of RadPowerEU is just a cheek.

Tax evasion? Now you're just throwing crap at a wall to see if you can get anything to stick. Best of luck.

Hello all. I bought a 2019 radrover last christmas and love the bike. Unfortunately there are no instructions on how to adj the preload on the front forks. I watched the Rad video
) and he did nothing except explain the concept. Nothing about how or when to adj. Just "adjust it to your preference" Lockout is pretty straight forward and easy to see how it works. On my bike the preload knob does nothing. I see/feel no change rotating end to end.

Anybody got this figured out. Tons of videos on how to adj a coil fork but they are on more expensive models. I put a tie strap on one leg and again no change in fork travel when I rotate the preload adj knob.

You want to set the preload so the bike settles about 1/4 to 1/3 of it's available travel with your weight on it. You can tie a string around the shiny part to measure how far it's settling. Same string can be used to see whether or not you're using all of the available travel (desirable!). It SHOULD bottom out on occasion to let you know it's not too stiff. Too stiff and it can't do it's job. Riding around while full bottomed out it's not doing it's job.

You're after a happy medium, and there are no specifics (exact number of turns to run) available. Some 'tweaking' required, but don't over think it.

I used a zip tie per Youtube videos. Could see no change end to end. I'm ok with this fork no matter what. It will work fine regardless of setting for the type of riding I'll be doing.

Hi - A friend bought a Radmini this spring and has a problem with it slowing down going down hill - The brakes are not dragging - It will not coast above 25 mph no matter what he does - He called Radpower bikes and got very little help - He was told to take a video of it happening - They suggested to him the possibility that the bearings in the motor may need to loosen up - Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? - Thanks in advance

It's not really "slowing down", it's just accelerating to a point, and not going any faster. Welcome to the Rad controller software. That's a built in "feature".

The only way to defeat it is with a Bolton performance kit or some other aftermarket controller.

Could your friend try temporarily turning off the system (via the center Mode button) while coasting downhill? I would think that would remove any controller-induced braking or speed limiting. When they get to the bottom of the hill or their speed gets significantly below 25mph, then press the Mode button again to start things back up.

RangerDave

It's amazing to me that people seem to think rad power are bad because they can't send out every bike problem free and then expect rad to be able to fix any problem instantly.
It's not just cheap brands like rad that have problems, it's just that if you purchase from a dealer problems are. I've had a wheel bearing, exhaust and wiring harness failures on motorcycles under 4000 miles with Honda and Kawasaki and a Marin MTB that at the 3 month complimentary service they had to straighten the front wheel, replace the gripshift and cables and replace a couple of other little bits and I'd only used it in the dry summer mostly on road. All of these problems were dealt with quickly under warranty as I purchased from a main dealer.
With rad they don't know if they can trust us to diagnose problems, we have to prove the problem before replacement parts are sent out which seems reasonable otherwise people would lie just to get free spares. This all takes longer than with a dealer as they usually have spares on site and are trusted by the manufacturer to only do genuine warranty work.
It's our choice if we pay more for proper mechanical back up or take the small risk that there may be a problem that you have to fix yourself but you get the bike for half the price.
Luckily bicycles are so easy to work on it's not much hassle if something malfunctions.

Half the bikes I've ever purchased, both ebike and conventional, needed adjustment, follow the advice on the forum and/or watch some uTube videos and you could build a bike let alone adjust one. Stop whining.
People are suffering all over the world and you're complaining about having to turn a barrel adjuster a couple clicks.

Could your friend try temporarily turning off the system (via the center Mode button) while coasting downhill? I would think that would remove any controller-induced braking or speed limiting.

Controller has nothing to do with it besides shutting off power at 24.7 mph (40 kph). I've hit 31 mph going downhill on a 2019 radrover (same controller).

I've had my RadRover 5 for a month and riding as much as possible. I am unable to find a comfortable hand position on the grips. Has anyone found a replacement grip that is more comfortable? The Rad grip is shape formed which may be the issue? Can the grip be rotated so my orientation to the grip changes? Any advice is appreciated!

Back