Known Issues & Problems with Rad Power Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I just got my Rad Wagon and assembled it myself. I had to realign the disk brakes and fix the gearing which I did with help of lots of Youtube videos. However there is a loud clicking sound when the back wheel spins. It clicks even when I spin it slowly and when I ride it, its very loud any annoying. It sounds like its getting worse and more places are clicking. Anyone know what it could be? Here is a video I took:

I just got my Rad Wagon and assembled it myself. I had to realign the disk brakes and fix the gearing which I did with help of lots of Youtube videos. However there is a loud clicking sound when the back wheel spins. It clicks even when I spin it slowly and when I ride it, its very loud any annoying. It sounds like its getting worse and more places are clicking. Anyone know what it could be? Here is a video I took:
Did you ever get an answer on what it might be? I have a wagon and this is starting to happen.

Well I am totally bummed and not happy with rad rover at all... so right away I would get error messages but then a reboot would clear them then after a very high humidity couple of days the bike would start then just take off instantly when started NOT GOOD that seemed to go away when it dried out finally when i returned from the beach I washed it off and wala Broken again this time no recovery just a error code after 15 seconds (30) and the shut off tried another battery same issue so its broken and since it was exposed to H20 the company... VOIDED the warranty and now I'm stuck with a 1500$ piece of JUNK!! yup not happy and recommend that no one trust these guys or waste their money on this shoddy product!

Well I am totally bummed and not happy with rad rover at all... so right away I would get error messages but then a reboot would clear them then after a very high humidity couple of days the bike would start then just take off instantly when started NOT GOOD that seemed to go away when it dried out finally when i returned from the beach I washed it off and wala Broken again this time no recovery just a error code after 15 seconds (30) and the shut off tried another battery same issue so its broken and since it was exposed to H20 the company... VOIDED the warranty and now I'm stuck with a 1500$ piece of JUNK!! yup not happy and recommend that no one trust these guys or waste their money on this shoddy product!

As much as Rad (and many other companies) want to promote ebikes + Beach = fun!, I am firmly convinced the beach is not a long term prospect for any ebike, particularly so if it is an ocean. The hardware, connectors, and electronics are simply not designed for exposure to a salty mist.

My guess is you need to totally clean and dry out (via disassembly) the controller and/or display. When putting everything together after totally dry, a coating of acf 50, or rust check, or similar, on the boards and ALL connectors.

Not a total loss if that does not work. The ROver would be a good candidate for a mid drive conversion using a BBSHD from luna. You already have the battery. I consider Mid Drive to be superior anyway. (Unless you snap a chain, then you are gonna be walking.)

Couple of things to check:

1) First start with the controller. If you have waterproof connections, make sure those are dried out. If water got inside the controller, then replace it. They are not expensive, maybe $40.

2) If any other connections got wet, then check to make sure those are completely dry. You can use an electrical cleaning solvent, that evaporates quickly, and removes moisture. Double check that all the pins are straight.

Lastly, its doubtful the battery was affected, if its encased, unless you really hosed that puppy down. Yeah, not generally a great idea to hose down any bike, let alone an ebike. Better to just use a damp rag. Water can get into any space, and reek havoc, and corrosion. I don't know too many e-bike OEM's that would support a client, and simply replace something under warranty because the client hosed down the ebike. That said, I had a customer who left his ebike out in the rain, all day, and it turned out the issue was water in the controller. It leaked along the electrical cables, through a box opening, and penetrated the silicone protection of the wires going into the controller. You could shake it and hear the water sloshing around. Not good. $35 to replace it, and back to good as new. Good luck ! Hope you can get it fixed. If you are in the Chicago area, feel free to bring it by my shop in Plainfield, IL. 13717 US-30, Unit 111b. I'll check it out for you, no charge. If its the controller, would charge for that only.

I had the same 30 maintain error on one of my Radrovers. I don't ride when it is wet (we only get 5-6 inches of rain per year anyways in ABQ, NM). I would get the error message at random times and frequently when starting my ride a few minutes in or the error message wouldn't happen up to an hour later. A new Radrover controller fixed the issue. I've had to replace both controllers on either bikes during the warranty period.

Unless you had the rover up to the handlebars in salt water, I don't see why they voided the warranty for this Seattle based company? I lived in Tacoma, WA (actually Puyallup) for +4 years and they call the +150 rainy days "liquid sunshine". A poorly sealed controller or wiring harness might be the issue.

I would call Rad to see the price for a new controller compared to changing it out with something from Luna Cycles. I'm out of warranty after a year of ownership and I would convert my Rad into a Luna Cycle mid-drive when the ebike components fail (already have the battery to cut the cost by 1/2).

Last edited:

Not real sure how you got water into your system... I live in Florida our humidity is very high just about all the time. Just about daily we ride our two Radwagons down to the salty beach so I have been exposing the entire bike to this "harsh" environment almost daily for almost a year now and we've never had any issues. I've also been forced to ride home four or five times in fairly heavy rain and never had an issue. I'd hate to have an issue like you do, but I'm not sure how you got water into the electrical system unless there was a defect. If there's a seal problem why would Rad void your warranty?

Not real sure how you got water into your system... I live in Florida our humidity is very high just about all the time. Just about daily we ride our two Radwagons down to the salty beach so I have been exposing the entire bike to this "harsh" environment almost daily for almost a year now and we've never had any issues. I've also been forced to ride home four or five times in fairly heavy rain and never had an issue. I'd hate to have an issue like you do, but I'm not sure how you got water into the electrical system unless there was a defect. If there's a seal problem why would Rad void your warranty?
guess they don't like me for being honest as I should have lied as to the cause of my problem yup they think it's wiring harness or controller and want to charge me to get these parts and I am not interested in getting it going again just a lesson learned about buying JUNK...and dealing with a really lame company

Last edited:
@andre starr Mike from Rad Power Bikes here, I just spoke with our technical support supervisor and we went back to research your past discussions with our team to make sure we are doing everything we can to ensure your experience with Rad Power Bikes is as positive as possible and learn from this development.

We sent a wiring harness, free of charge, to the actual owner of this bike you are describing on the 30th of October. It sounds like this bike is back with the owner now and our team is working with them to diagnose and get replacement parts out as needed.

We are sorry if you had a bad experience, our team here has a track record of applying a down-to-earth approach in ensuring customers can get back on the road both in-warranty and out-of-warranty, by setting low replacement parts prices for out-of-warranty and warranty voided bikes and trying to help as quickly as possible in every case. We think of each customer like we do our team members, part of the Rad Family and hope we can turn your opinion of us around through consistency and care.

@andre starr Mike from Rad Power Bikes here, I just spoke with our technical support supervisor and we went back to research your past discussions with our team to make sure we are doing everything we can to ensure your experience with Rad Power Bikes is as positive as possible and learn from this development.

We sent a wiring harness, free of charge, to the actual owner of this bike you are describing on the 30th of October. It sounds like this bike is back with the owner now and our team is working with them to diagnose and get replacement parts out as needed.

We are sorry if you had a bad experience, our team here has a track record of applying a down-to-earth approach in ensuring customers can get back on the road both in-warranty and out-of-warranty, by setting low replacement parts prices for out-of-warranty and warranty voided bikes and trying to help as quickly as possible in every case. We think of each customer like we do our team members, part of the Rad Family and hope we can turn your opinion of us around through consistency and care.
You're not that great. Don't get too cocky.

I have a R. Wagon and I love it but I'm having a problem with Brake and disc adjustment. Any recommendations on adjustment or anyone from NYC have a bike shop recommendation? Someone honest! Took it to bike shop and they wouldn't adjust it because it was an e bike

I have a R. Wagon and I love it but I'm having a problem with Brake and disc adjustment. Any recommendations on adjustment or anyone from NYC have a bike shop recommendation? Someone honest! Took it to bike shop and they wouldn't adjust it because it was an e bike

I don't want to sound like I am belittling you, not my intent. But with a modest investment in tools, you can easily do this yourself. Plenty of youtube videos to walk you through it, and less than 240 seconds of work. Basically loosen the caliper, squeeze lever (this centers it on rotor) tighten caliper, adjust pad using a business card between pad and rotor and finally fine tune with adjusting nut at lever.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound like I am belittling you, not my intent. But with a modest investment in tools, you can easily do this yourself. Plenty of youtube videos to walk you through it, and less than 240 seconds of work. Basically loosen the caliper, squeeze lever (this centers it on rotor) tighten caliper, adjust pad using a business card between pad and rotor and finally fine tune with adjusting nut at lever.
Trust me I tried . Watched several videos and can't get it right. Never had disc brakes before so this is pretty new to me. The sound is better but can still hear a little running sounds. Just noticed a bent spoke as well. 120 miles so far and love it but not the easiest

I've have twin RadWagons for a little under a year both approaching 5000 miles. The most common issue I've had is the rear wheel becoming loose. I use wheel locks for the nuts and I guess the rough streets of NY just over power them with all the vibes. Most rcently though my biggest problem has been THE COLD. My wagons have a tendency to cut out in the cold. Power keeps flowing because the screen stays on (although sometimes when I turn off the battery to restart it, the screen will stay on for a while) and I have to stop pedaling/restart the system to get them going. That happens on both wagons.

Occasionally on one of them I'll get some kind of error code (3xx) I cant read the whole code because my screen is broken. It broke in an auto accident, but man the bike held up great! I was even able to ride it home after some front fork bending!

Great bikes, but a little under a year/5000 miles in an problems are finally starting to show up. Still trying to self troubleshoot my reoccurring flat tire problem. Wheel is true and everything seems mechanically fine, but I am running the stock tires, and while they have decent tread still and I never find anything sharp stuck in them, it's probably time to upgrade em

Back