Known Issues & Problems with Rad Power Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to find out if anyone is using the usb port under the display? On my 2018 RadRover it will not charge my IPhone. I emailed into support and they told me that it only puts out 0.25 volts so it would not do anything like charge a phone. I am thinking to my self why would you have a usb port if you can't use it for accessories.

I have a 2016 Radrover and 2018 Radcity Step-Thru. I have to connect to my iPhone 6s Plus first and then turn on my ebike power for the USB to activate to charge the iPhone (it will blink "USB" in the watts area when working). I get the iphone charging "ding" and it show the phone is charging on the iPhone battery symbol in the upper right. I've noticed the LCD USB really doesn't charge the iPhone very fast; but, it can maintain the current charge if you are using a lot of data (GPS/exercise tracking apps for example).

Newer smartphones do pull more juice compared to older smartphones. I sometimes get the on/off dinging when charging in my car's USB 12v charger with my iPhone sometimes because the phone is pulling too much juice. I usually close apps, turn off one or more of the wifi/bluetooth/cell data, just put in airplane mode, or just turn off while charging.

Thanks Drew and Mrgold35
Mrgold35 I will try what you said to plug in my Iphone in first than turn on the bike. I feel like I did that but will try again.
Thanks Everyone

Recently got a 2018 RadRover (Fun Bike btw!) and noticed some rattling noises coming from, I assume, the disc brakes.

I notice this bell like rattle sound when putting the kick stand up or similar less pronounced sounds while moving at different speeds usually under pas or throttle.
The noise seems to be coming from the brake discs and I can reproduce a similar sound by tapping the disc rotors with my finger.

I assume this is normal as the Seattle demo bike rotors seem to make similar sounds when I tap them.

I find this strange since I've not noticed this with other bikes with disc brakes before.
Maybe the size and design of the rotors on Rad bikes is the cause?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Just over 200 miles on the 2018 Radwagon, and the rear spokes are very loud and noisy (and loose). Just dropped it off at the LBS for repair as I dont want to tackle getting that wheel on and off unless I need to.

Just over 200 miles on the 2018 Radwagon, and the rear spokes are very loud and noisy (and loose). Just dropped it off at the LBS for repair as I dont want to tackle getting that wheel on and off unless I need to.
+1 on a brand new 2018 Radcity. rear spokes chattering like crazy. I lubed them where they cross but some of them seem to be loose. can I get a size for a spoke wrench pls? lbs ones don't fit. thanks!

I took mine the LBS and he said the rear was ridiculously loose, and the front was not much better. $100 to get both fixed as they are such a pain to work on I didn't want to do it, and he had to charge me way more than a normal bike.
To me this is poor QA by Radbikes ( @Mike Radenbaugh)

Just got confirmation that my RadRover is being shipped. I plan on having my assembly skills checked over by my LBS as well as gear indexing, brakes, etc. After reviewing this thread, I've added spoke tensioning to the checklist and emailed Rad for specifics. I got the following response:

"When tuning up the spokes on your bike, we recommend tensioning to around 95-100 Kgf. This is standard for straight, 12 gauge (2.6mm thick), stainless steel spokes, which all of our bikes are equipped with from the factory. If you're using the Park Tool TM-1 tensiometer, this equates to a reading of around 31-32 indicated on the tool."

Hope this helps others.

Just got confirmation that my RadRover is being shipped. I plan on having my assembly skills checked over by my LBS as well as gear indexing, brakes, etc. After reviewing this thread, I've added spoke tensioning to the checklist and emailed Rad for specifics. I got the following response:

"When tuning up the spokes on your bike, we recommend tensioning to around 95-100 Kgf. This is standard for straight, 12 gauge (2.6mm thick), stainless steel spokes, which all of our bikes are equipped with from the factory. If you're using the Park Tool TM-1 tensiometer, this equates to a reading of around 31-32 indicated on the tool."

Hope this helps others.

Thanks for the info!

When did you order your Radrover?

Thanks Drew and Mrgold35
Mrgold35 I will try what you said to plug in my Iphone in first than turn on the bike. I feel like I did that but will try again.
Thanks Everyone
Yes, thanks again to MrGold35 for supplying the details...the port is listed @5v. .5A.

Last edited:
Tensioning spokes is not a big deal if you remember to turn the spokes the same amount all the way around the wheel. Now some spokes might have loosened, while others might still be tight, but feeling them by hand, you might be able to spot loose ones easily.

Likewise, truing a wheel is not as mysterious as it might appear...spokes just have to be changed in groups. There are many tutorials on just how to do this. A Park tension meter will set you back the good part of a hundred dollar bill, but I don't think it's necessary...I rode thousands of miles on wheels I built and maintained, with no prior experience. (Update...forget the tension meter...the Rad rear spokes are too short to fit it!)

Last edited:
2018 Rad Rover - Have had the bike for 3-4 months and I am noticing a vibration sound/feeling when accelerating sometime. It seems like if I give it a lot of juice that's when it happens. I'll let up and it will stop and then when I go back to accelerating it will sometimes instantly not be there. And it feels and sounds like it's coming from the motor or real wheel but I'm not sure. The spokes are maybe very slightly lose in my opinion but I'm not knowledgeable about that so I don't know. It's going into my LBS soon to get tuned up so maybe they will be able to help find the source of the problem. If it still does that after they tune the brakes and true the tires I will contact Rad as in that case it means it's probably the motor or electric. Just wondering if anyone has had this sound or problem. Otherwise the bike seems fine and it's been the single best purchase I've made.

Ceannucci, if you're already planning on a trip to the LBS, you have very little to loose tightening each spoke exactly the same amount (1/2 turn). It worked on my '18 bike, as well as many others. Actually, with the frequency I see this issue noted, coming from a QC standpoint, I think it's something Rad needs to look into myself. Get the issue taken care of for pete's sake.

Sounds like some spoke tightening is in order. Definitely not a big deal and it will need to be checked on a regular basis. My LBS adjusted the spokes on my RadRover as part of his tune-up of my DIY assembly along with the brakes, gears, etc. Every bikes needs some tuning out of the box or even off the showroom floor. RAD on!

+1 on a brand new 2018 Radcity. rear spokes chattering like crazy. I lubed them where they cross but some of them seem to be loose. can I get a size for a spoke wrench pls? lbs ones don't fit. thanks!
Park blue spoke wrench for 12ga. spokes. I've tightened mine several times in 600 miles...they seem to stay tight now.

Ceannucci, if you're already planning on a trip to the LBS, you have very little to loose tightening each spoke exactly the same amount (1/2 turn). It worked on my '18 bike, as well as many others. Actually, with the frequency I see this issue noted, coming from a QC standpoint, I think it's something Rad needs to look into myself. Get the issue taken care of for pete's sake.

I guess spokes could make sense as it has been increasing in frequency as time goes on. I just didn’t think it was that because it doesn’t happen when the motor is off, but if the motor is pulling on the spokes to spin the wheel that could be it. I don’t have a tool for it so I’ll prbably just have the bike shop check it for me. If that’s all it is, I’m going to be so happy.

Thinking (hoping?) you're going to be pleasantly surprised. When I was first troubleshooting my own, the puzzling part for me is that it would not make the noise unless my (rather substantial) weight was on it. When it finally occurred to me it might be the spokes, I gave a few of them a "wiggle" test, and sure enough, it was pretty obvious they were loose. It wasn't until after that discovery that I joined this group and saw how frequently people were having the same issue. That makes it a problem RAD needs to address......

Thinking (hoping?) you're going to be pleasantly surprised. When I was first troubleshooting my own, the puzzling part for me is that it would not make the noise unless my (rather substantial) weight was on it. When it finally occurred to me it might be the spokes, I gave a few of them a "wiggle" test, and sure enough, it was pretty obvious they were loose. It wasn't until after that discovery that I joined this group and saw how frequently people were having the same issue. That makes it a problem RAD needs to address......

Hmm I’m a 250lb dude so this seems like he same issue now. I’m wondering if it’s the effect of a heavy rider and the material of the spokes essentially being stretched as the bike gets used. Would make sense as I know the rover is appealing to heavier guys because of the power and the fat tires making for a more comfortable ride. If that’s the case then there’s probably little that rad can do to prevent it, other than making it known, and to watch out for it and get it tuned when the sound starts. Which for me was after about 400 miles or 7-8 weeks.

2018 RadMini handlebars make clicking/creaking sound near the stem latch when the bike is unfolded and ridden over bumps (some play in the parts). Anyone else have this issue?

Back