Known Issues & Problems with Orbea Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I am on my second Gain D30 !
The first was bought online in July 2018 from Cycle Surgery as they had my preferred colour and size in stock - a lot of dealers back then had a 3 month wait.
After about 9 months I started to notice the battery performance was deteriorating.Its pretty easy for me to be sure about this as I only use the bike for a 15 mile each way commute in and out of London.When I first got the bike it was just about possible to do 3 complete return trips ( i.e. 90 miles ) before the battery indicator on the IWOC was flashing red.
Also the battery indicator light would not change from white ( full charge ) to the next level down ( orange I think ) until my second return trip ( so between 30 and 60 miles ) .
As the battery performance started to reduce the point on my "fixed " journey where the battery indicator light changed colour would start to move to an earlier part of the ride. It went back to Cycle surgery but they had stopped selling and servicing the Gain during the 9 months since I bought it.
They tried very hard to communicate with Orbea in Spain but in the end they gave up and replaced my whole D30 with another brand new one they managed to source from old stock !
I've now done 4000 miles on this "new " D30 ( also the 2018 model ) and the battery is starting to deteriorate as well.I took the bike to Cycle Republic who sell and service Orbea Gains.Despite servicing the mechanical parts of the bike ( new chain , brake pads etc ) they said they could not do the "e-bike " part of the service as they did not have the part needed to open the rear drive hub !!! This sounded a bit odd.
The bike needed to be booked back in for the hub service once the part arrived from " Italy " ......
Since that mechanical service I have started to experience a few issues with the " ebike " aspects of the bike which I never had before ............
Pink flashing error light on the IWOC whilst riding coinciding with a clear loss of assistance.
A noise from the rear hub , again intermittent
Fluctuating assistance particularly when really using it uphill with the sense that the drive is switching on and off.
Sadly Cycle Surgery are now being taken out of business by Halfords ( I had no idea they were part of Halfords but maybe that explains their service performance.

The main point of all this is to ask people where is the best place to take my Orbea Gain D30 to have it serviced , fault diagnosed , looked after going forward ? I live near Richmond Park in Surrey and commute up to a hospital near Old St in central London.
Ideally I'd prefer an independent person or shop near home.

Hi All, I received my Orbea Gain D50 yesterday, went out for a test ride and everything worked fine. I've put the bike on charger for 3-4 hours last night and when I disconnected, switched on and I had the dreaded pink light flashing. No error code in my app, only the red exclamation mark. I tried to disconnect the motor and switch the bike on and then I had the correct error code in the app. I have tried switch on and off several time, but still not working and pink light flashing. Anyone has any idea what is the problem?

Hi All, I received my Orbea Gain D50 yesterday, went out for a test ride and everything worked fine. I've put the bike on charger for 3-4 hours last night and when I disconnected, switched on and I had the dreaded pink light flashing. No error code in my app, only the red exclamation mark. I tried to disconnect the motor and switch the bike on and then I had the correct error code in the app. I have tried switch on and off several time, but still not working and pink light flashing. Anyone has any idea what is the problem?

Two things, first delete app and download again. Secondly make sure the connector between the cables on the left rear chainstay is pushed home. One time I got the pink warning, I hadn't pushed it all the way in after having the wheel out.

Two things, first delete app and download again. Secondly make sure the connector between the cables on the left rear chainstay is pushed home. One time I got the pink warning, I hadn't pushed it all the way in after having the wheel out.
I have tried the connector on the left hand chainstay but that seemed ok and I had an error message when I deliberately left unconnected. Are there any other accessible connector I could try?

I have tried the connector on the left hand chainstay but that seemed ok and I had an error message when I deliberately left unconnected. Are there any other accessible connector I could try?

Yes, there is a sensor on the opposite side that reads the locking ring on the cassette.

Yes, there is a sensor on the opposite side that reads the locking ring on the cassette.
I tried now everything but no luck. I must to wait until I can return the bike to the dealer for a service. Not a good timing... I also struggle to fix my headset wiggle, whatever I tried I still have 1-2mm play. Anyway, thanks for suggestions. :)

I tried now everything but no luck. I must to wait until I can return the bike to the dealer for a service. Not a good timing... I also struggle to fix my headset wiggle, whatever I tried I still have 1-2mm play. Anyway, thanks for suggestions. :)

Many folks have commented on having a loose headset on picking up bike. The PDI should pick up on it. Once tightened it stays locked. Still thinking about your problem.

Many folks have commented on having a loose headset on picking up bike. The PDI should pick up on it. Once tightened it stays locked. Still thinking about your problem.
I wonder if anyone ever had this error without an error code? It must has coused the charging, nothing else I can think of...

The loose headset is definitely an issue. I continually check mine. Have had tighten a couple of times. Its something I believe I read about early on in one the Gain forums.

There is a list of error codes that Mahle publish.
Yes, I found that, but my problem that I have the error but without an error code. The shop I ordered the bike said it needs to be checked by a dealer but all of them in my area are closed. I can send the bike back to Tredz but they don't know how long would take to send it back. Proper pain in the backside! 🙁

Yes, I found that, but my problem that I have the error but without an error code. The shop I ordered the bike said it needs to be checked by a dealer but all of them in my area are closed. I can send the bike back to Tredz but they don't know how long would take to send it back. Proper pain in the backside! 🙁
I’m sure you will have done this already but when I had a problem with the pink light flashing and looked at the app for the error code, I didn’t realise at first that the light had to be flashing while the app was on and connected to the WiFi. I had assumed that once an error occurred, it was recorded on the app, and would automatically show the code but it doesn’t.

I’m sure you will have done this already but when I had a problem with the pink light flashing and looked at the app for the error code, I didn’t realise at first that the light had to be flashing while the app was on and connected to the WiFi. I had assumed that once an error occurred, it was recorded on the app, and would automatically show the code but it doesn’t.
Thanks for the suggestion Sharon, I left the light flashing, but no code. 🙁 Very frustrating as I assume it will be something with a simple solution but I have no clue without the error code.

The loose headset is definitely an issue. I continually check mine. Have had tighten a couple of times. Its something I believe I read about early on in one the Gain forums.

I had that problem. My headset expansion plug was loose and needed to be repositioned and tightened; otherwise just tightening the screw in the headset cap just pulls up the plug and doesn't tighten the headset.

Hi everyone. my Orbea Gain is not charging anymore. no lights flashing on the charger or bike when plugged in. Can anybody tell me if the charger meant to have light on regardless if it's plugged in into the bike or not? (when the charger plugged in to mains) There's no light on my charger and I want to confirm whether it's dead and the bike is ok. thanks

Hi everyone. my Orbea Gain is not charging anymore. no lights flashing on the charger or bike when plugged in. Can anybody tell me if the charger meant to have light on regardless if it's plugged in into the bike or not? (when the charger plugged in to mains) There's no light on my charger and I want to confirm whether it's dead and the bike is ok. thanks
Hi, the charger should have a green light on when it's plugged in to the main, so luckily, it seems you have a problem only with the charger.

I had that problem. My headset expansion plug was loose and needed to be repositioned and tightened; otherwise just tightening the screw in the headset cap just pulls up the plug and doesn't tighten the headset.
Update on my headset; it turned out that the factory spacer was not enough and I replaced it and added an extra ring. Problem solved. 😊

Hi, the charger should have a green light on when it's plugged in to the main, so luckily, it seems you have a problem only with the charger.
thanks! I'm wondering if i can wire up another cheaper and easier to source 42V 2A charger with overcharge protection to the plug 🤔

Hi all, just found this forum and it’s been really useful :)
I’ve just noticed a gap open up between my fork and steering tube. It’s an Orbea Gain D40. Is this normal?
86C3EA62-F71A-48BA-9479-C1D16F12BA93.jpeg
86C3EA62-F71A-48BA-9479-C1D16F12BA93.jpeg

Back