Known Issues & Problems with Orbea Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

If you use the app on your phone the assistance level is indicated on the bottom left of the screen. When the bike is switched on the initial level is 1 - white light if charged over 75%. Scroll through level 2, then 3 then 0, then 1 again, and so on. I haven't noticed any drag, but I need to use assistance level 1 most of the time anyway, and it is only on long flats or downhills, or a with favourable wind that I will use the 0 setting.

Same here Young. I've got 2 Gains and never noticed any drag on either of them, regardless if ridden on or off. One way to check? Turn bike upside down, push cranks round a number of times and time the slow down of rear wheel before coming to a stop. Mines exactly the same.

If you're using the app you can also tell from the power used icon on the upper right. When on level 1 (green) it will vary from about 7-32, on level two (orange) it will go up to the 70s, and on level three (red) it will go up to 100%, while on on but no power (white) it will show no power being used.

OK. Will have to try that. Always thought that just brought me back to A1. When I initially turn it on it flashes green and goes to white which I have always considered that I have between 75-100% power. Hmmm. I also do not recall seeing any ebikemotion /Orbea instructions to that effect.

You are absolutely right about it being a learning curve for everybody. As my bike was the first one sold by my LBS, I would suggest my knowledge from the year I had to research on the internet to delivery made me more knowledgeable than they were. Everything they get now is coming from Orbea.
I’ve attached photos of the only instructions I had with the charger - for what it’s worth!

Attachments

• 878E1C8A-1086-4E69-9AD1-26E65C8FBF84.jpeg
    878E1C8A-1086-4E69-9AD1-26E65C8FBF84.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 1,378
  • FF03C044-540D-4A39-B934-FAF0CF135590.jpeg
    FF03C044-540D-4A39-B934-FAF0CF135590.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 657
  • CA127352-D5FF-413E-9609-2004F9A5AA22.jpeg
    CA127352-D5FF-413E-9609-2004F9A5AA22.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 693
While I’m on here, even though I’ve had my bike for several months, I still can’t work out if the motor gives more assistance if I’m using an easier gear and, in effect not putting so much pressure on the pedals, or using a harder gear and putting in more effort when going up hills🙄😂!
I know these are not the technical terms for you keen cyclists, but can anyone help with this conundrum? Difficult to explain what I mean really but someone might know what I’m on about😀

While I’m on here, even though I’ve had my bike for several months, I still can’t work out if the motor gives more assistance if I’m using an easier gear and, in effect not putting so much pressure on the pedals, or using a harder gear and putting in more effort when going up hills🙄😂!
I know these are not the technical terms for you keen cyclists, but can anyone help with this conundrum? Difficult to explain what I mean really but someone might know what I’m on about😀

The motor likes revs on hills. Push a bug gear up hill and you won't get much in the way of assist. This is how I used to ride for decades. In order to get max assist when climbing I have had to change my style of riding. I now sit and spin my way up hills, achieving max help from the motor.

The instructions, indeed, are really not clear. Somehow I figured it out anyway and have been using the level 0 when I didn't want any assist.

That sensation of drag, IMHO, is a kind of physical illusion from transitioning to a lower (or no) level of assist. Like losing a tailwind. The first couple rides, it was kind of annoying, but now I don't even notice it happen anymore.

Another thing that had baffled me for a while was how much power each level of assistance offered, but that was pretty easy to figure out by just using max settings on the app (that is, each level at 100%), then looking at ride data where I used each level. Looks like it's 100, 175, and 250. It can and does do bursts above those, but usually stays below. I usually have the engine map or whatever they call it set to %50 of level 1, %75 of level 2 and %100 of level 3.

That said not infrequently I run into situations where I'd really like finer control over the motor's output. For example, when I do a loop-back and have a headwind on the return trip, I usually end up pulling over and cranking the level 1 to max instead of going up to level 2.

Problem is IWOC button is performing 2 main functions - battery level: white - green - orange - red- flashing red, but also indicates assistance level briefly when this is changed. It takes some getting used to. I tend to use the app to remind me of assistance level, and to give a battery charge level %, and rarely look at the button.

The instructions, indeed, are really not clear. Somehow I figured it out anyway and have been using the level 0 when I didn't want any assist.

That sensation of drag, IMHO, is a kind of physical illusion from transitioning to a lower (or no) level of assist. Like losing a tailwind. The first couple rides, it was kind of annoying, but now I don't even notice it happen anymore.

Another thing that had baffled me for a while was how much power each level of assistance offered, but that was pretty easy to figure out by just using max settings on the app (that is, each level at 100%), then looking at ride data where I used each level. Looks like it's 100, 175, and 250. It can and does do bursts above those, but usually stays below. I usually have the engine map or whatever they call it set to %50 of level 1, %75 of level 2 and %100 of level 3.

That said not infrequently I run into situations where I'd really like finer control over the motor's output. For example, when I do a loop-back and have a headwind on the return trip, I usually end up pulling over and cranking the level 1 to max instead of going up to level 2.
How do you set the levels at different percentages? I tend not to use the app as it drains my phone battery too quickly. It’s quite an old phone but maybe I need to turn some stuff off🤔

Problem is IWOC button is performing 2 main functions - battery level: white - green - orange - red- flashing red, but also indicates assistance level briefly when this is changed. It takes some getting used to. I tend to use the app to remind me of assistance level, and to give a battery charge level %, and rarely look at the button.
Not having a smartphone I depend on the button, hence the need for very detailed instructions.

The diagrams provided by ebikemotion are a perfect example of the "when I know how it works I will be able to understand the instructions"
usually written by technicians.

Not having a smartphone I depend on the button, hence the need for very detailed instructions.

The diagrams provided by ebikemotion are a perfect example of the "when I know how it works I will be able to understand the instructions"
usually written by technicians.
It's almost worth getting a phone for dedicated use on the Gain. I bought a Motorola (long battery life) for just this purpose. It costs me £6 month on a SIM only contract - and I can use it as a phone as well of course if I ever need to!

battery level: white - green - orange - red- flashing red,
On today's ride it displayed a strong mauve colour on two of the times that I switched it on. Wouldn't change to any other colour. I switched off and then switching back on it displayed correctly.

On today's ride it displayed a strong mauve colour on two of the times that I switched it on. Wouldn't change to any other colour. I switched off and then switching back on it displayed correctly.
I’m guessing that’s the pink light I had on mine, was it flashing? If not, the instructions say it’s in ‘safe mode’ and take it to the dealer.
If it was flashing, could be the same issue I had if you were switching on and off during the ride.
I’ve ridden several times now with the motor switched on during the whole ride, using the ‘no assistance’ mode when help was not needed, and I’ve not experienced anymore issues with the pink light coming on, no drag and no loss of battery life

What is the no assistance mode?
When you first switch on, it immediately goes to the first assistance mode, showing the green light. Keep pressing through orange and red. Press again after red and a white lite will come on. This is the no assistance mode. You can then press again to get the green, first assistance mode.

So, on first switch on, it goes green, orange, red and then white before going through the sequence again.

Slightly confusing as it doesn’t start with the ‘no assistance ‘ mode when you first switch on. I was advised that this is how it should be ridden with the electric switched on all the time during a ride, even if you don’t need any help, in which case the no assistance mode should be used. If you look back at my previous posts, you can see all the trouble and new parts I had before the dealer, rep and Orbea realised this!

Anyone had the freewheel off the motor? If so, is there a way to remove some of the play in the freewheel?

Has anyone else had a problem with not being able to turn their Gain on sometimes? I've had my Gain for 18 month or so and recently it's developed this issue. I press the button and there's no response, the light doesn't come on the bike doesn't power up. I've been able to fix it by plugging the charger in (light comes on) then leaving it for a minute or so before going out on a ride.
Today I left home with a 100% charge and after 15 miles or so stopped riding for 5 minutes to pop in somewhere. When I returned, the bike had powered down and when I tried to turn it back on, the button wouldn't work. I ended up riding the 25 miles back home with it switched off. Painful. Plugged the bike in when I finally arrived , light came on straight away and app shows battery still has 81% charge!
PS when I first had the problem I took the bike to an authorised Orbea repairer - they couldn't find a fault with the switch.

I just recived my Orbea Gain D31. I have noticed when I stop pedaling and the motor disengage I can hear a sutle "clonk" See video . Is this normal?

I just recived my Orbea Gain D31. I have noticed when I stop pedaling and the motor disengage I can hear a sutle "clonk" See video . Is this normal?

Yes, you also get it when you reach the assist level and the motor cuts out. Very subtle.

Back