Known Issues & Problems with Orbea Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Thanks Mike,

I definitely prefer the endurance geometry. I tried an Orbea D40 today and will post my impressions. It is a mixed bag for me. The bike store I went to today said that the Orbea software is not out yet. Is this true? Does the software show what level you are in? That would be more helpful instead of looking down all the time and playing with the buttons.

Also I meant to say lower, older and *slower* riders. Not loser. ha, ha. Feel that way though sometimes.

Thanks Mike,

I definitely prefer the endurance geometry. I tried an Orbea D40 today and will post my impressions. It is a mixed bag for me. The bike store I went to today said that the Orbea software is not out yet. Is this true? Does the software show what level you are in? That would be more helpful instead of looking down all the time and playing with the buttons.
I have an M30. What software? There's an iPhone or Android app that's available now (ebikemotion). It shows the level you are in. I'm unaware of any other software.

Last edited:
Hi, I am looking at lightweight e-bikes. I am an aging road cyclist who can't keep up with the lower, older and slower riders any more without pedaling my butt off at least 3 or 4 days a week. I am seriously looking at both the Bianchi Aria and the Orbea Gain. Are their any big differences in the two? Looks like they use the same motor and software. Is it just the way the frame fits then and components?
Hi, I can definitely speak to the Gain M20i. Im 71 and was experiencing more difficulty keeping up with my younger groups. I made the decision to go with the Gain for a couple of reasons. My existing bike was a Specialized Roubaix with an endurance profile. The Bianchi has a more aero profile and is more expensive.

Because of the scarcity of Gains to date I had to order it sight unseen and without a test ride. I finally received it a couple of weeks . I admit that I had some early reservations after being given a pretty standard fit at the shop. They could even set it up in their trainer because of the rear axle. I rode it around the block a couple times and crossed my fingers it would feel better on a longer ride. . I had my Roubaix custom fit and thought I may to do the same with the Gain. Much to my relief after about 600 kms I can't tell the difference.

The best part of my my new bike is after much ribbing from my ride buddies they are fighting with each other to suck my wheel in a wind or going uphill. I couldn't be happier

Yeah, well I am 70 and having difficulty keeping up with the old and slow riders. We normally do 30 to 45 miles with anywhere from 600 to 1800 feet of climbing. My body just cringes at riding 3 or 4 times a week to keep in shape I have a specialized Ruby Comp with Di2. The Gain D40 I tried had a very long reach and was very uncomfortable. I need a more up right bike and would get the flat handle bars but the components on it are very low. Will try the Bianchi Aria-e this week and the new Wilier Hydro in a week or two. They all use the ebikemotion x35 motor,so it is basically which frame and components plus price that fit me better. Rumor has it the Specialized will come out with a lightweight e-bike for their 2020 line, but that is unsubstantiated.

Yeah, well I am 70 and having difficulty keeping up with the old and slow riders. We normally do 30 to 45 miles with anywhere from 600 to 1800 feet of climbing. My body just cringes at riding 3 or 4 times a week to keep in shape I have a specialized Ruby Comp with Di2. The Gain D40 I tried had a very long reach and was very uncomfortable. I need a more up right bike and would get the flat handle bars but the components on it are very low. Will try the Bianchi Aria-e this week and the new Wilier Hydro in a week or two. They all use the ebikemotion x35 motor,so it is basically which frame and components plus price that fit me better. Rumor has it the Specialized will come out with a lightweight e-bike for their 2020 line, but that is unsubstantiated.
The carbon Gains have different geometry than the aluminum ones, so check that out. Also, the system can use a heart rate monitor to automatically change the assist level. I have not tried that yet though, so don't know how well that works. I've got a Bluetooth HR chest strap on order so I'll try it probably next week.

I've had to adjust (tighten) the headset twice now. Also, the expansion plug needed tightening as well. Anyone else had their headset loosen?

Where is the headset and expansion plug? Also. watching to see what other manufacturers will come out with lightweight e-bikes for 2020. I would guess that Bianchi might add to their one and only (Aria -e).

Where is the headset and expansion plug? Also. watching to see what other manufacturers will come out with lightweight e-bikes for 2020. I would guess that Bianchi might add to their one and only (Aria -e).
The headset is at the front of bike below the handlebar stem where the fork tube goes into the headtube and compressed by a long bolt through top of stem. The compression plug or star plug is inside the fork tube and helps hold the headset together/ Probably you would get a more clear description if you googled headset in wikipedia.

I agree. 2020 should be a good year for improvements on Road e-bikes

I bought an Orbea M30 back in March, and after putting about 500 miles on it, I can say it's really fantastic. The assist is very smooth but significant. I mostly use the lowest level of assist to challenge myself to work harder, and to get maximum range. So far it appears that it will give me up to 55 miles on a full charge. The higher levels of assist put a big stupid grin on my face. I use the app mostly to accurately track battery charge status, and overall mileage. My only gripes are the motor drag when coasting, and the clunky way you go from one level of assist to another. On other e-bikes you can just push a button to select the level of boost, but on the Orbea you have to push once to see what level you're at, then again to change it, and then you can only go sequentially up the levels. My headset came loose too, but the dealer fixed it while I waited. Overall, I am really pleased with it!

One correction - the clunky boost selection procedure is not specific to Orbea - it's the eBikemotion system, so it would be the same on the Bianchi, Wilier, and Pinarello.

A few updates:
The water bottle battery (at least for Bianchi) won't be available for another 2 mos.
I must be getting stronger because now I'm using the orange (middle) power assist unless the hills are tough.
I was able to get a 35mm rear tire in the frame and a 32mm front tire.
The only reason I got the Bianchi over the Orbea, Willier, Pinarello, etc. was because of the color :) Actually, I've ridden Bianchis for over 50 yrs. and not stopping now.
I did have to remove the battery in the downtube because I dropped a part down there and couldn't fish it out :rolleyes:... not recommended for the faint of heart, but it can be done... took me a really long time to remove and replace the battery, but it was a good learning experience.
Although the frame geometry is basically for racing speed, I've done a few gravel rides and it works great.

I am curious. What are the specs of the Orbea ebikemotion set up and power output compare to the way more expensive Specialized Creo? I wonder if the Creo will really be worth the money.

I bought an Orbea M30 back in March, and after putting about 500 miles on it, I can say it's really fantastic. The assist is very smooth but significant. I mostly use the lowest level of assist to challenge myself to work harder, and to get maximum range. So far it appears that it will give me up to 55 miles on a full charge. The higher levels of assist put a big stupid grin on my face. I use the app mostly to accurately track battery charge status, and overall mileage. My only gripes are the motor drag when coasting, and the clunky way you go from one level of assist to another. On other e-bikes you can just push a button to select the level of boost, but on the Orbea you have to push once to see what level you're at, then again to change it, and then you can only go sequentially up the levels. My headset came loose too, but the dealer fixed it while I waited. Overall, I am really pleased with it!

Don't get any motor drag at all Stud, but like yourself my headset came loose in the first 300 miles.

A few updates:
The water bottle battery (at least for Bianchi) won't be available for another 2 mos.
I must be getting stronger because now I'm using the orange (middle) power assist unless the hills are tough.
I was able to get a 35mm rear tire in the frame and a 32mm front tire.
The only reason I got the Bianchi over the Orbea, Willier, Pinarello, etc. was because of the color :) Actually, I've ridden Bianchis for over 50 yrs. and not stopping now.
I did have to remove the battery in the downtube because I dropped a part down there and couldn't fish it out :rolleyes:... not recommended for the faint of heart, but it can be done... took me a really long time to remove and replace the battery, but it was a good learning experience.
Although the frame geometry is basically for racing speed, I've done a few gravel rides and it works great.
I have been watching for availability of the Orbea Range Extender battery, and it is now showing up on their website for sale. At $649, it's quite pricey though.

Back