Known Issues & Problems with NCM Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Here is new whining sound I just started to hear coming from the hub, even without any battery power. Just the wheel spinning makes this sound. I only have 200 miles on the bike. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks for any advice.
Wish I could help, but Iḿ nearly totally deaf. Maybe I´m just lucky, but I haven´t real issues but flats & a couple popped spokes,
my fault. I distresses me to see these problems that keep turning up. Are the screws on the motor case tight. If not, crank ´em
down using thread lock blue. All this is kinda like the adage ´never buy a car that came of the line on a Monday´. I´m getting the
impression some NCM workers need more training, or better wages. I think the basic concept is fine, Iḿ surprised at how well
my bike performs... even better than when I got it.

Here is new whining sound I just started to hear coming from the hub, even without any battery power. Just the wheel spinning makes this sound. I only have 200 miles on the bike. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks for any advice.
Sounds like a motor/bearing issue to me. I would send Leon Cycles the video. I,m sure they will send a replacement part.

Leon have been very helpful to me so far, sending new parts and giving advice , I do think that this forum will have all the servicing and repair advice anyone could need before too long.
The NCM e bikes are basically good but some of the parts need to be QC checked thoroughly before leaving the factory as it’s often simply poor wiring and soldering which causes most problems.

I’m contacting Leon tomorrow. Thanks everyone!
I spoke to Enrique in the support department at Leon Cycle and he is terrific. He said there Is definitely an issue coming from the hub/motor and they are looking into a resolution for a fix. Something is going need to be replaced, but not sure what yet. My issue is not a common problem they have seen too many times. The good news is that he said I can still continue to ride the bike, but the sound will be annoying. So far my experience dealing with the support team at Leon Cycle has been top notch. I’ll keep you posted.

I spoke to Enrique in the support department at Leon Cycle and he is terrific. He said there Is definitely an issue coming from the hub/motor and they are looking into a resolution for a fix. Something is going need to be replaced, but not sure what yet. My issue is not a common problem they have seen too many times. The good news is that he said I can still continue to ride the bike, but the sound will be annoying. So far my experience dealing with the support team at Leon Cycle has been top notch. I’ll keep you posted.
Just heard back from Leon Cycle and they are sending me a replacement wheel hub motor, under warranty. Now I just need to find someone to install it, because I sure enough can’t do it.

Just heard back from Leon Cycle and they are sending me a replacement wheel hub motor, under warranty. Now I just need to find someone to install it, because I sure enough can’t do it.
Is it just the hub or hub with wheel? A hub without wheel would entail relacing all your spokes, a job for a professional or a DIY fanatic
like me. If it comes with a wheel I can talk you thru it, Lord know I´ve had lots of practice lately with a run of flats.

I wouldn't imagine they would not sent the complete wheel! To change the wheel isn't much more difficult than a normal mountain bike. Just got to unplug the cable and ensure the handlebars are raised slightly to prevent damaging the display.

I know it’s the wheel and hub, but I’m not sure if it includes the tire. They said it also covers repair service at my local shop and it shouldn’t cost more than $20.

C
I've never used it; I've heard it can clog a valve core, but I don't know that. I rarely have a flat. It's usually a torn sidewall
from a root or some other catastrophic failure. I like having a dbl. leg stand because it's convenient for several reasons
other than just a tire. I can replace a spoke without taking the wheel off, for one. Also having a rear mount single gives a
choice as how to park.
A dbl. is handy for use with a trailer. As big as I am, a trailer takes weight off the bike. I plan soon to tour desert with 4
batteries, ( 55ah total ). That & a bunch of gear, would seriously overload the bike. No one ever plans taking a wheel
off in the field until the need arises. I also carry a small rope ratchet that will turn a sign post into a bike stand.
There are so many semi-overgrown old logging roads here to explore, but it's completely a matter of self rescue
if something goes wrong. (I always have a small 1st-aid kit. )

P,S. you have no idea how many times I've needed to... 'self-rescue'.🤔
Can someone post a picture? What is a dbl???

THis is annoying; All the pictures from my images have disappeared??? Have I been hacked or just somehow
stupidly deleted them??? Just search double legged bicycle kickstand on ebay.
Eureka, Have retrieved lost images! this is so handy; I can rock either wheel off the ground to check & adjust brakes,
remove & repair tires, & more easily mount a trailer, & I have the rear mounted kick for unlevel surfaces.
The modified rack has a 2nd platform below the top to carry a second battery allowing for more range than I´d
care to ride in one day anyway. Mounted high, it puts the panniers behind my thighs to reduce drag & heel strike,
( I have size 14 feet.) PICT0023.jpg

Attachments

• PICT0017.jpg
    PICT0017.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Eureka, Have retrieved lost images! this is so handy; I can rock either wheel off the ground to check & adjust brakes,
remove & repair tires, & more easily mount a trailer, & I have the rear mounted kick for unlevel surfaces.
The modified rack has a 2nd platform below the top to carry a second battery allowing for more range than I´d
care to ride in one day anyway. Mounted high, it puts the panniers behind my thighs to reduce drag & heel strike,
( I have size 14 feet.)View attachment 64720
With the weight of an extra battery over the rear wheel, have you experienced any issues with broken spokes? I have broken a couple and have been working to reduce weight back there...although I'm not sure if that was the issue.

With the weight of an extra battery over the rear wheel, have you experienced any issues with broken spokes? I have broken a couple and have been working to reduce weight back there...although I'm not sure if that was the issue.
I´ve experienced that without an extra battery, but i now keep a very close watch on tire pressure & situational threats. It works
fine as long as i´m careful. I always have spare spokes & have found a way to replace one without removing the wheel..

I´ve experienced that without an extra battery, but i now keep a very close watch on tire pressure & situational threats. It works
fine as long as i´m careful. I always have spare spokes & have found a way to replace one without removing the wheel..
I agree...lots of factors can cause spoke issues. Have you posted anywhere or can you share how exactly you replace a broken spoke without removing the wheel?

I agree...lots of factors can cause spoke issues. Have you posted anywhere or can you share how exactly you replace a broken spoke without removing the wheel?
Somewhere, , rehash, position broken spoke about 45 degree from vertical to the rear, deflate, pull tire,tube,& rim stip to one side.
Use a magnetic screwdriver to ´carefully remove the nipple¨, seat new spoke & ´very carefully´ insert new nipple with magnet
screwdriver. tighten spoke, replace rim strip, tube, & tire. Reinflate. If it´s the front wheel, it´s easier just to remove. The process
is just for rear hub motors. (be sure new spoke is inserted from the correct side of the spoke bore!)

Somewhere, , rehash, position broken spoke about 45 degree from vertical to the rear, deflate, pull tire,tube,& rim stip to one side.
Use a magnetic screwdriver to ´carefully remove the nipple¨, seat new spoke & ´very carefully´ insert new nipple with magnet
screwdriver. tighten spoke, replace rim strip, tube, & tire. Reinflate. If it´s the front wheel, it´s easier just to remove. The process
is just for rear hub motors. (be sure new spoke is inserted from the correct side of the spoke bore!)
Many thanks...I may try it next time,,,but I hope there is no next time!!

I got a second rear flat in 1 month. This time could have been avoided. Tarmac with a wide line without it and downhill. I went full speed and it didn't see it even if it was signaled, twice. I think the tube just exploded.
I seriously need to buy that tube with the ends detached.
Do you think in this case Slime spray could have worked? I didn't try since the repair shop was close by.

I got a second rear flat in 1 month. This time could have been avoided. Tarmac with a wide line without it and downhill. I went full speed and it didn't see it even if it was signaled, twice. I think the tube just exploded.
I seriously need to buy that tube with the ends detached.
Do you think in this case Slime spray could have worked? I didn't try since the repair shop was close by.
How much did it cost to fix your flat at the shop?

Back